360 or PS3??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash1207

Super Freak
Reaction score
First off, I'm not wanting this to turn into a fan-boy war so understand that is not my intention. I just some other opinions besides my own and some of my buddies.

I've pretty much got the wife set to buy me an XBox 360 for Xmas this year but I'm starting to wonder if I should go the PS3 route instead. Obviously getting a PS3 for Xmas this year is out of the question since we didn't get in on a pre-order. But I could always tell her to just take the money she was going to use and set it aside until they are more readily available in the spring (*fingers crossed*).

So basically I'm wondering which route I should go. Should I go with the sure fire thing with the 360 for Xmas? Or should I tell her to just wait until the spring and go with the PS3?

Crash1207 said:
First off, I'm not wanting this to turn into a fan-boy war so understand that is not my intention. I just some other opinions besides my own and some of my buddies.

I've pretty much got the wife set to buy me an XBox 360 for Xmas this year but I'm starting to wonder if I should go the PS3 route instead. Obviously getting a PS3 for Xmas this year is out of the question since we didn't get in on a pre-order. But I could always tell her to just take the money she was going to use and set it aside until they are more readily available in the spring (*fingers crossed*).

So basically I'm wondering which route I should go. Should I go with the sure fire thing with the 360 for Xmas? Or should I tell her to just wait until the spring and go with the PS3?

There are a few things you need to consider. Which core games for either system do you love? If you love MGS and FF, PS3. If you can't live without Halo 3, or the next KOTOR game, 360.

The PS3 will be more expensive and there are rumors that games could cost as much as $80-100 later for it. But it does have a Blu Ray DVD player which is huge if you care about it.

The 360 had a lot of bugs at launch (I unfortunately found out first hand), but they've been fixed as far as I know. The PS3 launch systems are likely to have similar bugs so it's good that you aren't getting a launch system.

I have a 360 and it's great. XBOX live will blow either Sony or Nintendo's live service away. It really comes down to games and peripherals. There are no PS3 games that I love, so getting one isn't even an option right now.

I however, like Eric Cartman, can't f'n wait for the Wii!

I'm with Loki on this one. It's a matter of taste and what games you prefer. That said the PS3 games more and more are becoming cross-platform. For example, Assassin's Creed was supposed to be PS3 exclusive now it's being released on the 360. As far the blu-ray drive goes, it doesn't impress me. I watched a few movies onon these new dvd formats and it doesn't look much better than the old format.

Microsoft's live service is amazing and it will take a lot to match it. I used to be a big Sony fan but they've made a lot of mistakes in the last couple of years and their egos are bigger than their heads these days. I have a feeling that they're going the way of Sega who thought they were gods.

In the end it's a matter of opinion but if your looking at a 360, you're not going wrong. It's an excellent system with a lot of top notch games, service, and promise.

If I were to get one of the new systems coming out this winter it'd be the Wii. Looks cool.

Honestly, I would go with the 360. I am pretty upset about the price of the PS3, yes I know "it has a blu-ray player in it". First off, the Hd-dvd vs. Blu ray war is yet to be determined and I sure as hell don't want Sony to decide the winner for me. Secondly, the blu-ray player in the PS3 will become outdated quickly.

I bought a 360 a while back but for a while I was on the fence about it. I really wanted a PS3 but I weighed it out and the 360 won for me. I guess in the end it all comes down to which one has the better games for you.

Also, one last note, who really uses their game console as a dvd player?

Wii FOREVER!:D

I'd go 360. I've always been a PS person but after having my 360 for a few months I can say I enjoy it as much if not more. I love being able 360's live service and the way the system performs. As was said the blue ray feature does little for me since I won't be using it as a DVD player and the fact it raises the price does little for me to want it as well.

Definitely the 360. Like they said above, Sony has lost virtually all exclusivity with any 3rd party publisher, they only have 2 good 1st party franchises in Metal Gear, and God of War. They just lost Splinter Cell franchise for a good while. After Double Agent is released on PS3 Ubi has said they will only release Splinter Cell for Microsoft. Microsoft will have exclusives like Fable 2, Mass Effect, Halo, the future Splinter Cells, Gears of War etc. Not to mention the 360 is getting great 3rd party support with games like Resident Evil 5, Assasins Creed, Grand Theft Auto, and the list could go on. So really what it all boils down to is do you really want to play Metal Gear? lol

Personally, I'm going for the PS3. No hassle backwards compatibility, Final Fantasy, etc. Also the Wii.

But not till well after the new year. Need to save my money. Jabba trumps all.

It all depends on which games are appealing to you. Is there a 360 game that is calling to you? I have a 360 and have to admit that I am disappointed with the quality of the titles that have been released so far. Dead Rising showed promise but turned out to be one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. Once you get passed the graphics I've found the game
play to be pretty lacking on the 360 games across the board.

PS3 seems like it will have some pretty solid titles at launch. I for one am really excited to check out Resistance: Fall of Man. The other thing to consider is that the PS3 is backward compatible. I know the 360 is as well, but I just love the catalog of PS2 titles. I still play Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, and God of War even though I have beaten them all.

Gears of War looks promising but I have to admit that the 360 has been a bit of a let down.

To me, the PS3 is the more exciting system. I may even trade it in when I get a shot at the PS3.

See I totally disagree. So far the titles coming out right away for the PS3 are not all that hot. The ones you can't get for 360 anyways. I've found the GP on all the 360 games I have fun and enjoyable. Not saying this won't be the case for the PS3 but I'm not all that impressed with the PS3 titles coming out on RD.

Wow! Lots of great responses fellas! Thanks!

You guys are definitely giving me a lot to think about and that's what I was wanting.

Since you are definately willing to wait till spring anyway... wait until then to get the review/bug updates from the PS3... then you can buy your 360 if you don't like what you hear.

PS3 online serive will be free... unlike Xbox live!

Darth Loki said:
17 DAYS!!!!!!!!!
When I watched South Park last night my first though was you Loki :lol.

Ok I like my 360, whats funny is I tried to play my PS2 and the controller felt so akward. I have never used my 360 as a DVD player but that might just change with the HD-DVD upgade coming out.

mfoga said:
When I watched South Park last night my first though was you Loki :lol.

Ok I like my 360, whats funny is I tried to play my PS2 and the controller felt so akward. I have never used my 360 as a DVD player but that might just change with the HD-DVD upgade coming out.

I watched South Park this morning and I thought they had been spying on me. It's not just the system with the most awesome controller of all time, but it's also the Zelda game that I've had on reserve since January of 2005 (yeah that's right, 20 months). And you can download old games :drool :drool :drool

I know it won't be as powerful as the other two, but gameplay has always and will always come before graphics.

Already have my vacation in for that week. Just sucks I need to work the day it comes out, damn Ravens.

I've seen a lot of you use the XBox Live as a pro for the 360. If I'm not really into first-person shooters am I going to get as much out of it?

Crash1207 said:
I've seen a lot of you use the XBox Live as a pro for the 360. If I'm not really into first-person shooters am I going to get as much out of it?
yes because every game out has something for xbox live. whether it be maps, missions, or weapons. look at oblivion... technically one of the biggest and best rpgs out there and they keep coming out with donwloadable quests and stuff to extend the life. xbox live might not be free, but at least you know that $60 means you'll have firmware updates, server upgrades, and regulation of users.
~~funny how sony's services is free, but sony hasnt hyped it at all or metioned what they plan on doing with it. and i'd rather pay 1 annual fee that covers support for every game than worry about fees for individual games.

Back