2009 Battle of the Godfathers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Godfather is going to grace your collectible shelf?

• Total voters
How weird is it that not only are both doing the figure, but they are both doing the cat and the chair? I think the chair and the cat are really cool, yet a little oddball. So I think its REALLY WEIRD that the two companies are essentially doing the exact same product at the same time. CONFOUNDINGLY WEIRD.

Its kinda like when Walmart opens next to Super Target. Competition benefits consumers, but from Enterbay's standpoint I don't get why they didn't go for a license they wouldn't need to compete in.

Imagine if SS, HT and Enterbay offered Star Wars or Indy . . .

I would feel bad for SS :eek:

Enterbay would be neck and neck in a race of awesomeness, while Sideshow would act as the water boy, on the side lines wishing they could play too.

I think both the HT and EB figures look exactly like Marlon Brando.

I also think that the HT figure looks a bit too young and the EB figure looks too old. :)

First there was VHS vs BETA then years later we witnessed HD vs Blu Ray and today we can officially say it IS Hot Toys vs Enterbay. :D

I would feel bad for SS :eek:

Enterbay would be neck and neck in a race of awesomeness, while Sideshow would act as the water boy, on the side lines wishing they could play too.

Actually, I think SSC could hang, IF they didn't directly compete by making the same product or going over their head in terms of technology.

If HT was cranking out $150 Hoth Han and Luke figures, and SSC was cranking out $60 or $70 ANH Han and Luke I'd still consider the SSC product.

Also, SSC would be able to produce figures to fill in the MANY gaps between the 4 SW figures HT would make. Sure, they'd be the greatest 4 SW toys ever, but well, you'd only have Hoth Luke, C3PO, Chewbacca and Lando...lol.

I think HT could compete with SS in the price range too. Just look at the POTA figs that you can get for $112 from an online retailer.
SS is in the $90 range now and quickly creeping up to HT prices but not HT quality.

HT and EB are pretty evenly matched in both areas though.

I think HT could compete with SS in the price range too. Just look at the POTA figs that you can get for $112 from an online retailer.
SS is in the $90 range now and quickly creeping up to HT prices but not HT quality.

HT and EB are pretty evenly matched in both areas though.

Look at he Rambo figures, they were detailed and oufited with several accessories and $85 or so. They can, but they know now people will pay up.

How old are the Rambo figures? How much were SSC figures at that same time?
Also, you can save $ by getting SSC figures from etailers too.

Anyway, my thought:
HT makes awesome expensive almost one off licenced items.

And SSC makes very good more affordable deep licenses.

Pretty much two different beasts. I'd love to see SSC take on HT quality, but I'd love to see HT take on SSC prices and line depth.

I think M65 came out last year as well as RockyIII. Both were about $10 or $20 more than SS's prices at the time.

SS definitely goes deeper into a line than HT but the price to quality ratio between the two companies has gone in opposite directions lately.

I think M65 came out last year as well as RockyIII. Both were about $10 or $20 more than SS's prices at the time.

SS definitely goes deeper into a line than HT but the price to quality ratio between the two companies has gone in opposite directions lately.

And I think its the same reason they have a partnership and share licenses. Sideshow must make good money to give up the SW 1/6 honors to Hot Toys. Sideshow really needs to focus on making every single PF and BUST look nothing less than stunning.

I don't know dude. I got to go to a meeting now, but I think your off on the price comparison there. Rocky doesn't exactly come with much clothing or accessories either. I know the POTC Jack compared to say Boromir was about $40 difference (in terms of percentage thats over 50%).

Also, while SSC QC is up and down, over all quality has been good with my SW figures since Obi-Wan. Head sculpt and paint is the only repeating flaw for me and $40 more for a headsculpt and paint is not worth it, especially if it meant going from a line with 10 figures per year to 3 or 4.

Yeah, it's hard to compare figures and prices straight across the board. It's all about what you like and where you find value too.

If you use the price versus quality argument for Sideshow and Hot Toys, you could say that Hasbro could compete with Sideshow, or Volkswagen can compete with Farrari.

Its a flawed argument.

Back