2001: A Space Odyssey 1/6 EVA Suits - Twinch Squad

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2001 EVA Suits

Bump this up because one of these has appeared on ebay, wonder what it will go for? I would have really liked to own one of these.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190208880106

$1425.00!!! :google :eek::google :eek:

I mean, the whole mythos is cool/sucky and all, but...wouldn't be easier/cheaper to have one of these customized at a fraction of the price? It's not looking like a terribly hard suit to make and we got some really talented folks here. I'd buy one. Anyone else?

Damn, that is a lot of scratch?!? I'd love to have one... but you can see there is a lot of great detail in that suit... getting all that texture and what-not correct would be hard.

Bummer the person making it wasn't trustworthy :monkey2

Yeah, it's a pretty complicated suit, maybe not as complicated as the Nostromo ones, but it's made of cloth, not rubber.

Still burns me that I should have 2 of these but I was scammed like so many others.

Hello im new here.Please excuse me for dragging up an old thread.But I was surfing the net today in search of information on this now defunked company.I see that a red one sold a few days ago for almost $800.00.Cheers Walter

I mean man o man !

$1425 for that ??

With such a sour tale with it, Id have a crack at that and do it justice. Wouldnt cost half that, reminds me of Space 1999 which had some cool stuff in it, the eagles being the other aspect that sticks out in my mind !

spb0051.jpg

1999eagle.jpg

Nope no way on gods green earth given the current financial climate and foreamred with the story behind this would I be prepared to part with that much money on this !

Some brave people on ebay !

Last edited:

Ha! yes thats plain crazyness! I had a Space 1999 Eagle as a kid!I think that it was made by Mattel.It was almost four feet long I think that it had four figures.Of coarse I ruined it.:banghead:slap I almost bought another one a few years back when you could still pay by money order on Ebay.Maybe someday they were selling for around $200.00.Thanks for the great pictures!

Yes, the Darklord is necroposting!

Because this just happened!

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/sci-fi-as-in-science-fiction-2001-a-space-odyssey-c-9_345/discovery-astronaut-deluxe-12-astronaut-spacesuit-yellow-p-18595

I don't know if Monsters in Motion is aware of the history - but I wouldn't count on anything getting delivered this time either.

And I think a few people are going to be extremely disappointed when they do receive them. At the time they were designed the Dragon and GI Joe bodies were the only thing on the market. The pictures show it on a Joe. But those bodies are about a 1/2 inch shorter than a standard 1/6 body today. So I'm pretty sure the suits are not going to fit on any body you'd want to put it on.

And here's a great article about the whole thing:
https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/twinch-squad-suit-scandel-remembered/

TWINCH SQUAD “2001 SUIT” SCANDAL REMEMBERED

Closeups of the famous Twinch Squad suit. The yellow version was a real standout. (Photo: AV8TORjoe)

Even after 12 years, the “Twinch Squad” name still makes fans wince with anger and/or regret. Painful memories quickly resurface regarding that company’s numerous broken promises, undelivered merchandise and unrefunded orders. To quickly recap, here are the basic facts as we know them…

Around the year 2000, a man named Jose Luis Ayuso began selling 1:6 scale custom spacesuits that were modeled after the ones seen in Stanley Kubrick’s classic sci-fi film, “2001: A Space Odyssey.” Ayuso’s initial work enjoyed mostly positive customer reviews and orders were soon flowing into the little shop in Valencia, Spain. As a result of the high volume of business, he soon found himself in over his head, and the business collapsed.

The classic silver suit shown fitted on a GijOE.
(Photo: AV8TORjoe)

That was all sad, yes. But here’s where the story takes a darker turn…Despite being unable to fill any more orders, Ayuso continued to accept money from collectors around the world for YEARS afterwards, resulting in a roster of many hundreds of frustrated buyers who would never received anything for their money—or their money back. Those few customers who did receive a suit, were often less than impressed with what they received. As”Bob” stated in 2002 over on the original Sandbox forum…

“I ordered my suits directly from Twinch Squad going on 2 YEARS ago and finally received them. Although they look good initially, the hoses crumble and the metal clips holding the belts for the oxygen control units tend to break. I got some replacement hoses from the manufacturer, but I pleaded for 5 months for replacement metal clips to no avail. I received only empty promises via email. If you enjoy being lied to, paying good money for something that falls apart, then you’ll love the 2001 Space suits from Twinch Squad.”

Closeup of one of the rare, “2001″-inspired spacesuits from Twinch Squad. Superb craftsmanship! (Photo: tflockj)

What had begun as a promising opportunity for collectors quickly turned into an actual scam. Eventually, Ayuso simply disappeared from the Internet, taking all of the money with him. Lawsuits were threatened. Comments on forums raged against Twinch Squad and Ayuso in particular. According to a 2005 post made by AV8TORjoe on the Onesixthwarriors forum…

“I’m putting together a list of people defrauded by Jose Luis Ayuso for those 2001 Space Suits. Please advise if you know of any dealers who were also screwed by Mr. Ayuso. To all other collectors, please do not write this off. We must be vigilant and go after him. I am finding guys who have sent payment in October 2000. That’s FIVE years ago!!!!!!! I also know that he’s STILL making promises to ship, or to start a new website, etc. But we’ve all heard these promises before. It’s getting silly now.”

A blue-suit with accessories. (Photo: AV8TORjoe)

Long-time collector and Wheezer Society member Neil Sterett, remembers these details of the Twinch Suit fiasco very clearly…

“The designer, J.L. Ayuso, named them ‘TWINCH SQUAD’ to avoid copyright disputes. Manufactured in Spain, it is rumored that THOUSANDS of pre-orders were placed, but only approximately 600 were ever delivered. The exact number of suits made in Yellow, Red, Silver and Blue has never been determined.

Manufacturing quality issues and the rising cost of production forced the designer to refund payments to hundreds of disappointed buyers. Some prepaid buyers waited over 4 YEARS for a refund! I was extremely fortunate to have ordered a yellow suit, receiving it with the first 50 that were shipped.”

Highly respected dealer and 1:6 scaler Greg Brown (now working for Cotswold Collectibles), recalls his own rocky experience with Ayuso…

Greg Brown (above), formerly of EKLYPS and now with Cotswold, had difficult dealings with Twinch Squad and its owner, Jose Luis Ayuso. (Photo: DFW GijOE Club)

“From what I gathered, and this is just my own theory, Jose started all this with the best of intentions, but then he got swallowed up in a very bad supply and demand scenario. I’ve seen it happen countless of times with customizers who came out with a great product, but then just couldn’t keep up with demand.

At the time I was dealing with him, I knew that he was having some turnaround issues, but didn’t know until months later how big the problem really was. At that time, I was still running Eklyps Custom Figures, so I was already working with other customizers, brokering and selling their wares through my site, and his product fit right in with everything else I was carrying.

I do remember that Jose said the biggest ‘time-cruncher’ for him was box and packaging assembly. So I told him that for a reduced per-unit price, I’d buy the sets unassembled, and put everything together when it arrived stateside. I also want to say that I established stringent payment terms with him on the order; something like 50% down, and 50% upon receiving the order. That seemed to motivate him to get the stuff to me.

Package shown fully assembled. (Photo: Brundlefly)

When I finally received his shipment, stuff was everywhere. Boots were in one box, gloves in another, suits in yet another, and so on. And the “monolith” boxes they were to ship in were packed flat, with no tape. I had to hot glue portions of it all back together, insert the outfit pieces into the blister card, tape it and insert it all into each box (and then hope they didn’t shake loose). All of this took me about a WEEK to do—break down, assemble, re-pack, ship out.

It wasn’t until after I took care of all my customers that stuff really hit the fan. Jose’s customers began to e-mail me about their orders with him. It got real nasty with a few. I always relayed the e-mails on to Jose, and his response was that he’d take care of it. After a while, he even quit responding to MY e-mails. From what I’ve read on the boards, Jose’s become a ghost.”

Indeed, Ayuso has keep an extremely low profile for years. He’s know that to raise his head now would simply unleash a renewed hailstorm of demands from angry customers. According to collector William Raucci over on the OneSixthwarriors forum…

Suit and accessories included.
(Photo: Brundlefly)

“I wanted more people to go after him for fraud, but only about 3 or 4 people wrote me back, so I finally dropped it. Jose did write me back ONCE, saying that he was going to ship my order very soon. But the joke was on me. I never heard from him again. He’s still in Spain as far as I know.

He knows nothing about efficient production techniques which is probably why he failed. This happens to a lot of guys in the garage kit industry. They might be passionate model makers, but to make multiple units by yourself and have time for a life is just not realistic. There’s a reason why they call it ‘mass production.’ I know. I worked in the toy industry for 20 years!”

Bottom Line: We’re sorry to say, but there is no happy ending to this story. A few collectors received their orders in the beginning, largely thanks to the efforts of honest dealers like Greg Brown, while many more did not. Interestingly, if you want one of the Twinch Squad suits for yourself, you can still find them. Over on ebay right now, there’s currently two of them listed for sale HERE. The “Buy it Now” price? A paltry $3,500.00…EACH. Go get ‘em!

And here's a great article about the whole thing:
https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/twinch-squad-suit-scandel-remembered/

TWINCH SQUAD “2001 SUIT” SCANDAL REMEMBERED

Closeups of the famous Twinch Squad suit. The yellow version was a real standout. (Photo: AV8TORjoe)

Even after 12 years, the “Twinch Squad” name still makes fans wince with anger and/or regret. Painful memories quickly resurface regarding that company’s numerous broken promises, undelivered merchandise and unrefunded orders. To quickly recap, here are the basic facts as we know them…

Around the year 2000, a man named Jose Luis Ayuso began selling 1:6 scale custom spacesuits that were modeled after the ones seen in Stanley Kubrick’s classic sci-fi film, “2001: A Space Odyssey.” Ayuso’s initial work enjoyed mostly positive customer reviews and orders were soon flowing into the little shop in Valencia, Spain. As a result of the high volume of business, he soon found himself in over his head, and the business collapsed.

The classic silver suit shown fitted on a GijOE.
(Photo: AV8TORjoe)

That was all sad, yes. But here’s where the story takes a darker turn…Despite being unable to fill any more orders, Ayuso continued to accept money from collectors around the world for YEARS afterwards, resulting in a roster of many hundreds of frustrated buyers who would never received anything for their money—or their money back. Those few customers who did receive a suit, were often less than impressed with what they received. As”Bob” stated in 2002 over on the original Sandbox forum…

“I ordered my suits directly from Twinch Squad going on 2 YEARS ago and finally received them. Although they look good initially, the hoses crumble and the metal clips holding the belts for the oxygen control units tend to break. I got some replacement hoses from the manufacturer, but I pleaded for 5 months for replacement metal clips to no avail. I received only empty promises via email. If you enjoy being lied to, paying good money for something that falls apart, then you’ll love the 2001 Space suits from Twinch Squad.”

Closeup of one of the rare, “2001″-inspired spacesuits from Twinch Squad. Superb craftsmanship! (Photo: tflockj)

What had begun as a promising opportunity for collectors quickly turned into an actual scam. Eventually, Ayuso simply disappeared from the Internet, taking all of the money with him. Lawsuits were threatened. Comments on forums raged against Twinch Squad and Ayuso in particular. According to a 2005 post made by AV8TORjoe on the Onesixthwarriors forum…

“I’m putting together a list of people defrauded by Jose Luis Ayuso for those 2001 Space Suits. Please advise if you know of any dealers who were also screwed by Mr. Ayuso. To all other collectors, please do not write this off. We must be vigilant and go after him. I am finding guys who have sent payment in October 2000. That’s FIVE years ago!!!!!!! I also know that he’s STILL making promises to ship, or to start a new website, etc. But we’ve all heard these promises before. It’s getting silly now.”

Long-time collector and Wheezer Society member Neil Sterett, remembers these details of the Twinch Suit fiasco very clearly…

“The designer, J.L. Ayuso, named them ‘TWINCH SQUAD’ to avoid copyright disputes. Manufactured in Spain, it is rumored that THOUSANDS of pre-orders were placed, but only approximately 600 were ever delivered. The exact number of suits made in Yellow, Red, Silver and Blue has never been determined.

Manufacturing quality issues and the rising cost of production forced the designer to refund payments to hundreds of disappointed buyers. Some prepaid buyers waited over 4 YEARS for a refund! I was extremely fortunate to have ordered a yellow suit, receiving it with the first 50 that were shipped.”

Highly respected dealer and 1:6 scaler Greg Brown (now working for Cotswold Collectibles), recalls his own rocky experience with Ayuso…

Greg Brown (above), formerly of EKLYPS and now with Cotswold, had difficult dealings with Twinch Squad and its owner, Jose Luis Ayuso. (Photo: DFW GijOE Club)

“From what I gathered, and this is just my own theory, Jose started all this with the best of intentions, but then he got swallowed up in a very bad supply and demand scenario. I’ve seen it happen countless of times with customizers who came out with a great product, but then just couldn’t keep up with demand.

At the time I was dealing with him, I knew that he was having some turnaround issues, but didn’t know until months later how big the problem really was. At that time, I was still running Eklyps Custom Figures, so I was already working with other customizers, brokering and selling their wares through my site, and his product fit right in with everything else I was carrying.

I do remember that Jose said the biggest ‘time-cruncher’ for him was box and packaging assembly. So I told him that for a reduced per-unit price, I’d buy the sets unassembled, and put everything together when it arrived stateside. I also want to say that I established stringent payment terms with him on the order; something like 50% down, and 50% upon receiving the order. That seemed to motivate him to get the stuff to me.

Package shown fully assembled. (Photo: Brundlefly)

When I finally received his shipment, stuff was everywhere. Boots were in one box, gloves in another, suits in yet another, and so on. And the “monolith” boxes they were to ship in were packed flat, with no tape. I had to hot glue portions of it all back together, insert the outfit pieces into the blister card, tape it and insert it all into each box (and then hope they didn’t shake loose). All of this took me about a WEEK to do—break down, assemble, re-pack, ship out.

It wasn’t until after I took care of all my customers that stuff really hit the fan. Jose’s customers began to e-mail me about their orders with him. It got real nasty with a few. I always relayed the e-mails on to Jose, and his response was that he’d take care of it. After a while, he even quit responding to MY e-mails. From what I’ve read on the boards, Jose’s become a ghost.”

Indeed, Ayuso has keep an extremely low profile for years. He’s know that to raise his head now would simply unleash a renewed hailstorm of demands from angry customers. According to collector William Raucci over on the OneSixthwarriors forum…

Suit and accessories included.
(Photo: Brundlefly)

“I wanted more people to go after him for fraud, but only about 3 or 4 people wrote me back, so I finally dropped it. Jose did write me back ONCE, saying that he was going to ship my order very soon. But the joke was on me. I never heard from him again. He’s still in Spain as far as I know.

He knows nothing about efficient production techniques which is probably why he failed. This happens to a lot of guys in the garage kit industry. They might be passionate model makers, but to make multiple units by yourself and have time for a life is just not realistic. There’s a reason why they call it ‘mass production.’ I know. I worked in the toy industry for 20 years!”

Bottom Line: We’re sorry to say, but there is no happy ending to this story. A few collectors received their orders in the beginning, largely thanks to the efforts of honest dealers like Greg Brown, while many more did not. Interestingly, if you want one of the Twinch Squad suits for yourself, you can still find them. Over on ebay right now, there’s currently two of them listed for sale HERE. The “Buy it Now” price? A paltry $3,500.00…EACH. Go get ‘em!

Wow that was a nice read, thanks Dave. I have never heard of this debacle but I have seen similar things happen with various artist on here and some other boards over the years, unfortunate but interesting

Yes, the Darklord is necroposting!

Because this just happened!

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/sci-fi-as-in-science-fiction-2001-a-space-odyssey-c-9_345/discovery-astronaut-deluxe-12-astronaut-spacesuit-yellow-p-18595

I don't know if Monsters in Motion is aware of the history - but I wouldn't count on anything getting delivered this time either.

And I think a few people are going to be extremely disappointed when they do receive them. At the time they were designed the Dragon and GI Joe bodies were the only thing on the market. The pictures show it on a Joe. But those bodies are about a 1/2 inch shorter than a standard 1/6 body today. So I'm pretty sure the suits are not going to fit on any body you'd want to put it on.

Shouldn't you warn Monster in Motion?

Yeah, given the history of this guy the $100 non-refundable deposit doesn't bode well for sales, but I'd love a set of these figures (or any 2001 suits).

But I would never spend over $500 for a single figure like they are asking. That's insane. Don't much care that all the parts are metal either. Would rather have light weight plastic. Probably would be cheaper to manufacture, too.

Also, weren't there issues with the suits falling apart?

Sean

Last edited:

So Monsters in Motion delivered! $550 is a lot for ANY 1/6 figure, and this doesn't even include the body. Knowing the history I figured I try to put it on an HT slim short body. That worked pretty well, the feet even went into the boots. Notice he's headless though - can't find a head that will fit inside the helmet. Bruce from GI Joe will fit, but I don't want to commit that head to this.

This is indeed designed for the original Joes or circa 2000 Dragon body. The text on the box even mentions that we're "almost in the year 2001" so they didn't even bother adjusting that from when this was first released.

The hands and the boots are rubber and the boots have been hollowed out to allow for feet. The hands are very tiny and have a rubber hole that a wrist peg is supposed to go into. The sleeves are too long for this body though and the rubber holes in the hands can't hold the wrist peg.

2001_8.jpg

2001_10.jpg

I had to do a lot of repairs on this thing - metal glued to metal doesn't hold too well - but there was nothing major and all the parts were in the packaging. I had to glue the handle on the front pack, the little black pieces on the helmet ring were off, I pulled the metal connectors holding the straps out of the backpack a couple of times trying to get it on.

2001_11.jpg

The font and back environmental controls are metal, but have a rough paint job. You can also see how one of the metal bits on the backpack is glued on crooked.

2001_13.jpg

All the parts that look like metal are metal - each suit opening has a metal ring, although the connection to the suit isn't perfect in a lot of instances.

2001_6.jpg

2001_3.jpg

The patch on the sleeve is frayed - I don't know that it was that way at first, but you have to put the suit through some acrobatics to get it on the figure, and it might have happened during that exercise.

2001_1.jpg

You can see that the sculpt on the metal parts isn't that clean - in these days of CAD and 3D printing there's no excuse for imprecision - but since these were designed over a decade ago it's understandable, if no less acceptable.

2001_2.jpg

The hands look like they were painted by a myopic child and there's some plastic coating on them that is coming off - perhaps something to seal the paint to the rubber? Not working.
2001_4.jpg

2001_5.jpg

For scale:

2001_14.jpg

Overall - I'm glad this is in my collection - it's a relic of an earlier time when 1/6 custom projects were rare and to see something this ambitious was unheard of. But the price is too much and I still want Jose to burn in hell for stealing my, and a lot of other people's, money all those years ago.

I remember seeing the red, silver and yellow suits for sale in Forbidden Planet London, back when it was on new Oxford Street, so we're talking a few years ago now. They looked very nice and a lot of the little details looked like machined metal, but at £199.00 a pop without a base figure I took a pass.
Wonder what they change hands for now.

Quoting a post that's almost seven years old is nuts, but anyway... I remember seeing these too in that Forbidden Planet. So how the hell did a reputable chain like that end up taking delivery of these?

Quoting a post that's almost seven years old is nuts, but anyway... I remember seeing these too in that Forbidden Planet. So how the hell did a reputable chain like that end up taking delivery of these?

It was a different world back then.

Back