12" Zizzle Jack Sparrow custom progress

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les, that is so damn fantastic, i lost all bodily function!! *pees self*

okay, i'll clean that up later.

now i don't usually do this out of being fearful of offending someone but i think u really would like some constructive ctiticism, tho there ain't much to give.

i think the boot tops are a tad too wide/flared. bet u can probably take them in a bit in the back.

and on such an awesome piece, w/ so much work put in, i wonder why u didn't do away w/ the plastic hair and bandana altogether? couldn't they be cut off? i'd think dreads could be made w/ synthetic hair by rolling it in long "tubes" w/ diluted glue or even hair gel. and a thin piece of cloth (linen maybe) used for the bandana. i'm sure it's more trouble than it's worth tho.

anyway, AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!

pjam said:
Thanks so much for sharing and posting progress updates, I love these kind of custom in progress threads, so cool...

hell yeah^!! i love these "in progress" threads w/ pics. thank u so much for that Les!!

wow. incredible custom.

wooo hooo.
love the repaint.
there might be something conspicuously wrong with the boots caz it stands out too much I think, but the rest is awesome!

Mookeylama said:
now i don't usually do this out of being fearful of offending someone but i think u really would like some constructive ctiticism, tho there ain't much to give.

i think the boot tops are a tad too wide/flared. bet u can probably take them in a bit in the back.

and on such an awesome piece, w/ so much work put in, i wonder why u didn't do away w/ the plastic hair and bandana altogether? couldn't they be cut off? i'd think dreads could be made w/ synthetic hair by rolling it in long "tubes" w/ diluted glue or even hair gel. and a thin piece of cloth (linen maybe) used for the bandana. i'm sure it's more trouble than it's worth tho.

anyway, AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mookeylama! And sunohc. Yes, I am not sure about the boot flares yet myself. This is the first pass at that. Never tried them before. Lots to take into account. I may can take them in in the back. But they sort of flopped more in real life too, sagged inwards more. Not sure how to do that without just taking them in...and not quite light enough colorwise...but ok.

Hair...yeah...I have been thinking about trying out a whole new head. Haven't secured this one on yet due to all this kind of thing. The Zizzle head is so immersed in all that plastic dread that there was really no way around it. This is the simpler redo for sure. It makes it less posable of course.
Again, what the Kojun one has is so amazing...real trinkets in the hair, dreads, and he has even more dreads in the second movie...ugh! But, I bet it poses great! May go that route yet. Whole new head.....

OK, maybe it's still a work in progress....maybe...

All serious food for thought!
Thanks guys! VERY Appreciated!

abstractharmony linked me to this thread from another board we mutually frequent.......

this figure has inspired me to not only join here, but attempt a similar custom........

I'll be buying my Zizzle Jack Sparrow this Thursday!

Why are there none of these 12inch Zizzles in Australia?, grrrr, as advertised. :lol

you could prob ask a guy in US to order online from KB toys website and then send it to you.
It'd be like $25 a figure in the end, caz I think KB toys offers it for like $17.
But in stores its like $20.

That would be alright, but the shipping to Australia is a killer, and now I have no money. I wonder how that happened. :lol Zizzle has fizzled, unless they finally show up here by themselves.

Looks greatI just picked up one of these zizzle figures tonight! I was already thinking of puting this on another body before I saw the post. I'll probably we work the clothing but I don't have the patience for a repaint of the face. I might try and find someone to do it.

Figuremaster, do you have any suggestions on where to get the body and boots you used.

Rocktonix said:
Looks greatI just picked up one of these zizzle figures tonight! I was already thinking of puting this on another body before I saw the post. I'll probably we work the clothing but I don't have the patience for a repaint of the face. I might try and find someone to do it.

Figuremaster, do you have any suggestions on where to get the body and boots you used.

I used a BBI 3.5 for the double ended swivel neck posts. Adds to the character issue in Jack's poses. Clothes fit too, but you have to tuck in the shoulders of the shirtsleeves.
The base boots are from a DID figure. The heels and bases need extra trimming, and I added the flop tops with pleather. Paint it all up to the right leather color. Yur Dun! :D

Hope that is of service to you.

Thanks Les!

the brand is either gonna be really easy, or really hard.....

I can do it with paint, no problem, but I was thinking about trying to give it a 'puffy' look.....I don't know yet how I'm gonna do it......

luckily, I have the Zizzle Jack body to practice on.....because it'll be a while before I track down a bbi, or Dragon Body I like.......

you did the hand wraps too....which are nice....what did you use for those?

also, you probably already know about it......but just in case you don't here's a good site for pics of Jack's costume:

www.sithcamaro.com

he's got the most accurate replica Jack costume in the world......many of his pieces are cast from the originals.......and he's got the right cut, and color for all pieces (tho his hat is slightly off colorwise)

MrBlisterfists said:
you did the hand wraps too....which are nice....what did you use for those?

also, you probably already know about it......but just in case you don't here's a good site for pics of Jack's costume:

www.sithcamaro.com

he's got the most accurate replica Jack costume in the world......many of his pieces are cast from the originals.......and he's got the right cut, and color for all pieces (tho his hat is slightly off colorwise)

HOLY MOLY!!! That guy's got it going on! Back to that in a minute...

Hand wraps are stained cloth on the left, and leather bits for the palm pad and painted the ring bands on the fingers with layers to build them up. (I transferred the Zizzle ringcaps to each finger) and used the Zizzle black wrist wrap but trimmed.

As for that guy's Jack costume...
The hat looks good to me. His bandana is a bit too red. It is a bit faded. But, seeing those long dreads with the leather wraps and the coins at the ends of each....:horror HOW DID I MISS THAT!!!!!
DUH moment here...:banghead

I did say mine was still "In Progress", yes???
Yes. Yes, I did. And, it is.

Thanks Mr. B!
And good luck on your Jack. Can't wait to see him when you are done!

There will be progress pics.....promise!

and glad I could provide you with a resource for improving yours!

I can't believe he's already got the Singapore costume FINISHED!, amazing work and he moves fast!

he's also a really nice guy, who's answered all my emails, and questions.......

don't hesitate to ask him if you have any questions about details.....also, he won second place in Zizzle's "Jack Look-Alike" contest (He was robbed, in my own, and his opinions), so I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing your work!

Looks amazing!!!! I saw that figure in the store and thougth about attempting something like that myself, now you've got me inspired.I know you used BBI, but I don't own any BBI figures and I do happen to have an extra Sideshow body lying around, do you think there's anyway that could work with some mods to the neck post?

Hightreker said:
Looks amazing!!!! I saw that figure in the store and thougth about attempting something like that myself, now you've got me inspired.I know you used BBI, but I don't own any BBI figures and I do happen to have an extra Sideshow body lying around, do you think there's anyway that could work with some mods to the neck post?

Actually yes. I took apart an extra SSE London After Midnight figure and his neck has potential as it has a double posted neck. Only thing about the SS body is it is actually a bit tall for Jack. Depp, even in heels, is not that tall. But, if you have access.
You might find a top swivel posted necktop that matches the diameter of a SS neck base, and "frankenstein" that to the top of any regular SS neck. Worth a shot.

my current progress with this figure.......

bodyshot.jpg

I've repainted the following:

Buckles (all three)
Compass
Hat
Face

I have a ways to go, and I need to set up some lighting to capture the work I did to the face.......

Tried to get a couple of closeups of the head:

heads.jpg

Even Clearer Shot:

headshot.jpg

any suggestions?

EDIT: I've significantly re-done the face, completely re-painted the eyes (since that last pic above), most of the details are more subdued, and I've worked on making the face a little more flush (pinker)......

I may try to darken it overall, and make him more 'tan' as Jack was quite dark complected (due to being in the sun all the time).......though I don't want to overdo it....

subtlehead.jpg

Last edited:
Back