12" lotr line on hold

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I didn't realize this place could be so sad! Lighten up dudes, I bet when the next announcement comes it'll be awesome. It may take a bit, but I bet it'll be sooner than you all think.

I've always tried to be an optimist. This news really sucks though, and SS speak in the past for a dead line has been "hold." I have over two hundred 1:6 figures from several lines, and at one point I had a complete SS/Weta LOTR line (minus the bronze.) I sold my statue line to fund my wedding, and thought I would get a cool toy line to replace my statues. After this incomplete set, I may not collect anything else from Sideshow in the future...I would think about re-investing in the PF line, but who is to say that we won't miss vital characters with this line too.

Maybe I'll buy a cheap Frodo and Sam to try and kit-bash a Merry and Pip...and a Toy Biz Gimli...:monkey2

Man I didn't realize this place could be so sad! Lighten up dudes, I bet when the next announcement comes it'll be awesome. It may take a bit, but I bet it'll be sooner than you all think.

You wouldn't happen to be a big fan of Faramir, would you?

worst news EVER.

If they were even thinking of making more 12" they would have said nothing.

On hold means dead. :cry

This is very sad news!
At one point (Faramir) I left the line, but came back for Boromir and the hobbitses (and Gandalf, of course), so I was ready to invest in this line again.
But with a recession looming and rising prices, it probably would've been a tough sell to keep this line alive when every single figure requires so much R&D and unique apparel.

Okay, I guess I am really angry at this setback. I know Sideshow can't come and answer any questions here, but I'll plead once for some explanation.

Please.

Begging done.

why keep the PF line but kill the 1/6 line.....i guess the return on those are greater?????

On hold... dammit... where does this information come from again?

I was thinking tho... I'd be fairly pissed if my company had developed all new 1/6 scale bodies to cater for hobbits, supposedly gave the fans what they wanted as they should be a must have, only to find that they aren't flying out the door to customers. I'd be like: Wha? :confused: would definitely make me consider the future of the line... but having said that I don't want it to end!

How has it come to this? I'm baffled :(

Geez they cant even give us Gimili?
Friggin losers.
Wayta screw the pooch Sideshow.

There seems to be alot of SW products that haven't sold out yet too.

I've gotten several conversions and wait list closings on 1/6 figures the past couple of days. Maybe they're just cleaning up things for now.

I'm an optimist. I don't see where "on hold" has to mean the line is dead. I know nothing about the Buffy line. Are the main characters represented?

Wow, Sideshow not finishing core characters in another 12" line. Shocking news. I mean, who could have guessed that would ever happen.......again.

i wish i was a good customizer some i could at least end up with a fellowship

i guess the toy biz fellowship is the only complete one i'll have

i was waiting for lotr toys since i was 5 so i was thrilled when the movie ones came out and then when ss came out i was introduced to the world of 12" and again was thrilled to see it come through.

now a part of me wishes i never was introduced to ss and 12. think of all the money and time i would have saved plus if i never knew i'd never miss it.

that being said i'm never getting rid of my ss 12" lotr. even incomplete it'll be my favorite series

On hold... dammit... where does this information come from again?

I was thinking tho... I'd be fairly pissed if my company had developed all new 1/6 scale bodies to cater for hobbits, supposedly gave the fans what they wanted as they should be a must have, only to find that they aren't flying out the door to customers. I'd be like: Wha? :confused: would definitely make me consider the future of the line... but having said that I don't want it to end!

How has it come to this? I'm baffled :(

Problem with the Hobbits was they took too long, economic woes hit the world while we were waiting, other lines from SSC and other companies really picked up and prices on these pieces jumped for every company. It's just a formula for struggles with selling the Hobbits, coupled with fears that after Gandalf there'd be no more, fears which don't seem farfetched anymore, and some folks passed not wanting the figures unless they had the whole Fellowship and all.

I feel bad for Indy and G.I. Joe fans though, there's a lot of potential for those lines to struggle as well if they can't get a healthy pace going early on.

Hot Toys really is on top of handling lines and is a model to look at. Dark Knight, they hit the market with almost every major character represented within a year's time, with a few pieces shipping right at the time of film release. Iron Man, same thing. Strike while the iron's hot. Some properties just won't do well spread over time, just got to throw one really strong punch and go for a quick knockout. LOTR has shown it can't go toe to toe over 15 rounds. If we got like 5 figures a year, this line may have done much better.

I would say its practically a certainly that Joe and Indy are going to die early deaths.

I would say its practically a certainly that Joe and Indy are going to die early deaths.

Well, with Indy he was the only figure I wanted so I am not upset about the line dying.

I was hoping for a lot from the Joe line.

Back