12" Darth Maul "aggressive" sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsung hero

Super Freak
Reaction score
Expanding the list to 10 as I was able to get two more out of the mold. Fully painted resin head and neck.

Order list-
1. bidufarewell - paid in full Shipped
2. feroze13 - Paid in full Shipped
3. Manticore72c - Paid in full Shipped
4. rfr5671 - Paid in full Shipped
5. Dorgmal Snow Full Shipped
6. j2_gumpy Full Shipped
7. big guy paid full Shipped
8. Levit05 Shipped
9. Cocoboloboy

**ORIGINAL POST BEGINS HERE**I had posted 2 pictures of the WIP of this in an other thread, but figured since it's nearing completion it needed a thread of it's own. I'm about to bake the head, finish the shape near the base of the skull and add the horns. A little bit of texturing left, and this will be hitting some silicone.

final_turn002.jpg

Paint test

final_turn001.jpg

Again, this will be offered in a VERY limited run, depending on how difficult it is to cast, between 5 to 10. They will be pre-drilled and pre-painted.

Here are the previous images...

DSCF0632.jpg

DSCF0633.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see your still working on this one. He's gonna be great!

Seriously, when are you going to start sculpting for Sideshow?

I loved it when you first gave us a peek but I love it even more now... can not wait to se it on a DM body Unsung...

Looks like a damn good likeness of Ray park to me. And it should look like Maul one the horns are done and its painted.

raypark.jpg

wizard-park.jpg

ray_park.jpg

I swear I googled these up and I don't have a bunch of Ray Park pictures on my PC. :lol

Honestly, I'd go into each feature and why it's wrong, but really it's the whole thing, from the mouth to the eyes, to the nose. It looks like a person of course, but not Ray Park

Well it's all down to person point of view but I gotta say I think is is really hard to make a call on the likeness over a few pics of a sculpt. Lighting plays such a massive part in any pic, and the fact that the sculpt is grey and unpainted also makes it harder in my opinion.
All the ss scuplts are the same, from one angle in the right light they can look perfect but in another situation they can look look like mum gran on a bad day.

I personally would be very interested in a cast if unsung does any. Maul was on of the first figures I every got and although I like the sculpt Unsungs is looking better.

Well, just for instance, the top half of the head is too short, your eyes should be in the middle of your head, in this one it's about 2/3 and that itself is very obvious to see, and it's not a result of the images

Besides that, the shape of the mouth is wrong, there's way too many wrinkles, his brow is wrong, his nose is shaped wrong as well.

Well, just for instance, the top half of the head is too short, your eyes should be in the middle of your head, in this one it's about 2/3 and that itself is very obvious to see, and it's not a result of the images

Besides that, the shape of the mouth is wrong, there's way too many wrinkles, his brow is wrong, his nose is shaped wrong as well.

I certainly don't have a problem with you not seeing Park's likeness. But I have to debunk the faults you mention. All of the proportions are completley in line with the Sideshow Maul sculpt, as when I started, I used a caliper to get the measurements correct to keep in line with thier head, so that someone could switch it out with the existing sculpt and it not differ other than the expression. The distance from the top of the head to the eyes is the same, the length of the nose and distance to the mouth are all the same. And for the wrinkles in the mouth, I used this picture for my main reference.

ScreenHunter_04Mar141241.jpg

Again, if you don't see Ray, that is cool. Doesn't bother me as everyone does see things different, but the proportions are spot on.

:horror

Wow, you sound just like... well, me! :lol

Except I think it's a great likeness. If SS f'd theirs up a little, and unsung took measurements from the SS head, then you are actually complaining about the SS head rather than unsung's amazing sculpt.

I agree the forehead and jawline look to be a little off from some angles, but it's very hard to tell how good a sculpt actually is until it's painted.

I "painted" a pic of the sculpt using photoshop a while back, and it looks much more like Maul with color. See?

unsungmaul.jpg

I think unsung captured Maul's likeness just fine.

If SS f'd theirs up a little, and unsung took measurements from the SS head, then you are actually complaining about the SS head rather than unsung's amazing sculpt.

That's pretty funny! :rotfl
I never completely disliked SS sculpt, only two things bothered me. One, the sculpt just seemed plain. And two, he looked sleepy. All in all, I certainly saw Park in there, just an exhausted one. Not like the new PF Cyborg Maul, that is Ray all the way!

I certainly don't have a problem with you not seeing Park's likeness. But I have to debunk the faults you mention. All of the proportions are completley in line with the Sideshow Maul sculpt, as when I started, I used a caliper to get the measurements correct to keep in line with thier head, so that someone could switch it out with the existing sculpt and it not differ other than the expression. The distance from the top of the head to the eyes is the same, the length of the nose and distance to the mouth are all the same. And for the wrinkles in the mouth, I used this picture for my main reference.

Again, if you don't see Ray, that is cool. Doesn't bother me as everyone does see things different, but the proportions are spot on.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say it's bad at all, although really none of the pictures look like the top of the head is tall enough.

And I wouldn't use another sculpt as a reference, it might be good but it's just making a copy of a copy, if you don't want to make the same mistakes as them then use photo references.

When I did my own Maul custom, I used the SST David St. Hubbins head as a start. Removed the funky hair and filled in the notch, added horns and painted it up. The "rock star scowl" works perfectly for Maul...PS

Unsung, I love your work man, really! And I dont even like maul as a character!

just one piece of constructive criticism, his nose looks like it should look regular, but when you're in an extreme facial expression like this the nose moves along too, slighty changing the shape:

judging from this pic, your nose should be a bit more roundish, as apposed to straight like our sculpt! Not trying to diss it at all though, it's miles better than ANY other sculpt angry sculpt I've ever seen, and the teeth are beautiful. Would be such a shame if the nose wasn't perfect as well! ;)

Back