12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The face looks absolutely fine to me (just needs a repaint which I'm getting used to anyway) but the hair... the hair....

Not only does the hairpiece look like it's been put on 'twisted', slightly at an angle (it should be twisted more to his left) the detail looks severely lacking in the individual hair strand details (though that could be the light.. if not thick paint) but the shapes actually look different the more i look at it.

almost as if they had to quickly resculpt it for some reason, so they approximated the shape and didnt get as much detail in it. I dont know.

I know i'm going to love this figure though, and with a repaint and some dusting up of his clothes, I dont doubt it will be one of my favourite figures :)

Customikey said:
There was simply no way the factory was going to do justice to such an intricately beautiful sculpt of a man with an enigmatic and quietly expressive face, sporting long hair and stubble, two features that are nearly impossible to get right in of themselves.

It's not a factory mistake. It's a factory limitation. Simply, the only way you're going to get THAT kind of quality, is if you paint him yourself. Or have someone do it for you. :D

As it is, it's a wonderful figure. Well beyond what most companies can handle. I'm really excited to get my first of MANY LOTR figures.

AGREED!!! And a repaint I think will fix many of the problems... and hopefully bring thr beaty out of this sculpt. :D

I'm still glad I canceled. The coat still looks too new although if you ordered the exclusive it will be covered by the cloak which does look good. Platypus lips hit the nail on the head, whether its paint, the sculpt, the molding process it just looks funky to me. The hair? Not even gonna go there, again, paint, sculpt, molding, whatever it just doesn't look all that good to me. I really don't remember seeing such huge disparities from proto to production figure in the past as routine. There are definately some here and there (Willow ack), but it seems like it is becoming the norm for sideshow.

Honestly I never really was feelin it with this figure at the prototype stage, but seeing the actual production pics makes me feel that maybe the proto wasn't that bad after all. I hope those of you that are still getting him enjoy him for the sake of this line at least. I do look forward to seeing the inevitable re-paints and customs, they are always fun to look at and some of you are quite talented. Call me Denethor though, cause this line (for me) has ended. :peace :duff

Darth Rage said:
I'm still glad I canceled. The coat still looks too new although if you ordered the exclusive it will be covered by the cloak which does look good. Platypus lips hit the nail on the head, whether its paint, the sculpt, the molding process it just looks funky to me. The hair? Not even gonna go there, again, paint, sculpt, molding, whatever it just doesn't look all that good to me. I really don't remember seeing such huge disparities from proto to production figure in the past as routine. There are definately some here and there (Willow ack), but it seems like it is becoming the norm for sideshow.

Honestly I never really was feelin it with this figure at the prototype stage, but seeing the actual production pics makes me feel that maybe the proto wasn't that bad after all. I hope those of you that are still getting him enjoy him for the sake of this line at least. I do look forward to seeing the inevitable re-paints and customs, they are always fun to look at and some of you are quite talented. Call me Denethor though, cause this line (for me) has ended. :peace :duff

I tend to agree with you here. Pretty much sums it up, so no point in myself saying the same thing.

At first glance it looks like the two major issues are the "Hair" and the "Eyes"...

The hair is not quite as detailed as the prototype and the eyes are just plain different! The prototype (though not perfect by any means) had "Vigo's" eyes... This figure does not.

It's just like the SW "Obi-Wan" figure, overall loss of detail in the face/head sculpt...

Despite this, I still like him (though much less than the prototype) and will still be getting him. Perhaps it's because after being so vocal about the "Obi-Wan" figure, I have no fight left in me...

:emperor

DarkArtist and Customikey, I'm surprised you're so eager to repaint this one. Those hair strands would seem to be murder when trying to paint the face underneath. Quite the challenge. I look forward to seeing your efforts!

will this sword go well with this figure?

UC1267DNMC.jpg

Looks awesome in those pics. I'm liking it more and more from what I've seen. Is it perfect. No. Should it be? That would be awesome but I'm not expecting that. It looks awesome and for me I guess that's enough. I wish it looked more like Viggo and the coat was more weathered (becasuse I won't be messing with it). I do feel bad that some are not liking because this line will rock.

samuraiwarrior said:

Hey,
Unfortunately no it wont I dont think. The sword is 1/5 and the figure 1/6. I own the sword and put it up against a 12" and its far out:monkey2 Good concept though, would be neat if it did.​

Batty said:
I found this:

Hair piece looks centered, closer to proto here.

Seems we can simply bend the left strand away from his eye if necessary, thanks Batty.

Last edited:
Don't like the hair, headsculpt, or weathering on the leather jacket? Here's your solution:

100506aragornacc03lgsj4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My heart goes out to those who missed the exclusive. :D

As for me I think this figure rocks period. Keepin' him. :chew

Which means I need to lose a SW 12 incher. Sorry Mace....

Not really if you're going for movie accurate.

However, I used mine as a two handed sword for a kitbash I did using pieces from the Dragon Timeline knights and it looks good. Heck, when compared to those giant swords the anime figures carry around, y'know, the ones that are 12 feet long and two feet wide, this one seems small!

Hopefully I'll feel differently when I have him in hand but based on the pics, it just doesn't look right. I agree it's probably paint issues but I'm not going to repaint mine and for $65+S&H I shouldn't have to. I will tell you that how this figure looks in person will definitely influence whether I continue with the 12" LotR line. I didn't mind collecting 12" figures (ie. Buffy, Star Wars) when they were $50 but since the price keeps creeping up, I may revisit my purchasing options. I'm already contemplating whether I should continue with Star Wars. I've started to regret my decision to move away from the LotR polystone.

Dave thanks for the review. Since you're the only one that's got him so far, can the hair be moved to the side to look more like the prototype or is it pretty much fixed over his eye?

Wor-Gar said:
I hope I can get my Aragorn to look like this...
Seeing what you've done with the SW figures, I have no doubt.

Will this be the first non-SW kitchen shoot?

Batty said:
Seeing what you've done with the SW figures, I have no doubt.

Will this be the first non-SW kitchen shoot?

Thanks, Batty. And yes, I guess it will be the first non-SW shoot. I may have to come up with a whole new angle just for LOTR. Something dirtier and grittier.

:eek:

Back