1080p vs 1080i/720p ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any reason besides not being as "flat" to not get a DLP? I'm looking at getting one of the Mitsubishi 62" or 65" DLPs that are so much cheaper than a flat screen.

I have a Mits 73" DLP in my home theater, and it is AWESOME. Obviously, there are potential issues with DLP that you won't have with flat panels (such as picture alignment, and possible breakdown of moving parts), but in general terms, DLP is still a fantastic technology.

The only real downside to it is that there aren't any economical 120Hz sets available (or at least, I haven't seen any), if that is a priority for you.

Hmm. Not sure I'm enough of a videophile to notice so much. I currently have a 5 year old 42" Mitz HD rearprojection that I'm actually very happy with the picture, it just eats up way too much space depth wise and lacks HDMI (and I want to go bigger anyway). Thanks for the info.

i heard plasmas throw off a lot of heat...do they?

mine does. A LOT. it heats up the whole room.
.. but its worth it.

I have one of these..... and the picture is GLORIOUS!!!!!

58" Samsung 1080p

MC1.jpg

Hmm. Not sure I'm enough of a videophile to notice so much. I currently have a 5 year old 42" Mitz HD rearprojection that I'm actually very happy with the picture, it just eats up way too much space depth wise and lacks HDMI (and I want to go bigger anyway). Thanks for the info.

In that case, head down to your local Costco and pick up the Mits 65" DLP for $1699. It is a great set at a great price.

I have a Mits 73" DLP in my home theater, and it is AWESOME. Obviously, there are potential issues with DLP that you won't have with flat panels (such as picture alignment, and possible breakdown of moving parts), but in general terms, DLP is still a fantastic technology.

The only real downside to it is that there aren't any economical 120Hz sets available (or at least, I haven't seen any), if that is a priority for you.

I have a 73" Mits DLP too! Very nice!

My parents TV crapped out on them a couple weekends ago so I got them a 47" Vizio XVT. It is their newest model which is 1080P/120hz and even has surprisingly good speakers for a little over $1,400 total with tax. It is a very nice set for the money after you calibrate it a little (which you need to do with any TV anyway). I couldn't see a $1,000 price difference in picture quality between that and a comparable sized or featured Sony or Samsung.

https://www.vizio.com/productDetails.aspx?id=1640&pid=1504

PS3 looked awesome on it!

Last edited:
Wow, a Vizio with 120hz? Cool!

I'm here to be the official predictor of the future (you can even call me "Chriswell", since my name is Chris ;)). Vizio is THE company to watch over the next 2-3 years in the TV game. They have come from nowhere to being the #3 brand in terms of unit sales volume, in less than 4 years.

I read an interview with their founder/CEO, and he is committed to building market share without sacrificing quality, and so far, they are on track.

yeah, but as soon as they do they'll up their prices like they all do .... after all, there is a $30k+ Hyundai on the market now ... :lol

Ugh, Vizios are the worst damned TVs I've ever seen.

IF, IF I had to get an LCD again, it would definitely be a Samsung again. The Vizios I see all look like garbage. Their refresh rates suck, the contrast ratios are way to low and they have some of the worst black levels I've seen. Just check out AVSForum.com and even CNET.com and they are always the lowest rated TVs, along with Westinghouse.

Without question, Samsung is making some of the best LCD panels out there right now (I'm using two Samsungs on my PC right now), and I don't think I ever said otherwise. But your perception of Vizio is slightly off. Perhaps when the company was new, and still finding its legs, the reviews were bad, but today, most of the posters at AVS say the same thing I've been saying (unless you're talking about certain trolls over there who only like to stir up trouble). Vizio doesn't have the same quality and features as a Samsung or Sony, but considering how much you save, you still get a surprisingly good TV. Could the black levels be better? Yes, and they are improving. Are they as bad as Westinghouse? Not by a country mile, in my opinion.

i have a 47" 1080p LCD Vizio and couldnt be happier with it.....of course this is my first lcd tv, but for the price i paid its really not bad, had it for almost 2 years now and i wouldnt have a problem investing in another one in the future, but this of course is my humble opinion.

Without question, Samsung is making some of the best LCD panels out there right now (I'm using two Samsungs on my PC right now), and I don't think I ever said otherwise. But your perception of Vizio is slightly off. Perhaps when the company was new, and still finding its legs, the reviews were bad, but today, most of the posters at AVS say the same thing I've been saying (unless you're talking about certain trolls over there who only like to stir up trouble). Vizio doesn't have the same quality and features as a Samsung or Sony, but considering how much you save, you still get a surprisingly good TV. Could the black levels be better? Yes, and they are improving. Are they as bad as Westinghouse? Not by a country mile, in my opinion.

Yeah, I haven't seen a Vizio since 2006, so they have more than likely improved. It's just the last time I saw them, they were pretty horrible.

My last TV before the Panny Plasma was a 32" Samsung and that was great. But moving into almost the Pioneer Kuro line with the plasma I have, I will never go back to LCD. Games and movies look out standing and I don't need 120HZ to make everything look good. Never had ghosting on my plasma, which I do see on the LCDs sometime. And I think the 120HZ stuff kinda makes movies look flat, if that's the right word.

I would have loved to get a giant RPTV, but everyone has pretty much stopped manufacturing them. To bad, cause the 65"+ ones are going on the cheap!!

I have a sharp AQUOS 46" and let me tell you is one of the best tv's out there for there incredible sharp 1080p

LC42D64U5.jpg

SHARP and SAMSUNG are the leading brands for LCDs

trust me !! AQUOS KICKS ASS!!

Good luck

I'm not sure where the story got started that the only purpose for 120hz was to "fix" a problem that is inherent with LCD technology, but it isn't true.

Since the inception of flat panel displays, a common complaint from customers, especially when watching DVDs, is that the "judder" effect (which has been around since the first film went through the telecine process for display on an NTSC television) is more noticeable. Since the frame rate of film, which is captured at 24fps cannot equally divided into the frame rate of video, which is displayed at 30fps (really, it's 29.97, but that's neither here nor there), a pulldown process needed to be developed to compensate. The result: judder.

In response to this, plasma manufacturers reacted first, by developing panels that can display at either a 60hz or 72hz refresh rate, which can evenly divide both video sources (such as broadcast television) and film sources (such as DVDs and Blu-ray Discs) into even numbers of frames. Only higher end plasma sets offer this feature, though.

LCD, on the other hand, had two problems to solve. One was the judder complaint, the other was the fact that LCD panel persistence was still annoying many customers, in that fast-moving scenes looked blurry. Early this year, a new feature was unveiled that addressed both issues, 120hz. Unlike the plasma solution, it only used one constant refresh rate, but like the plasma solution, it allows for video and films sources to both be displayed with a smooth, even frame rate, and no judder. And, it corrected the motion blur problem -- sort of.

The problem with 120hz LCD sets is that the engineers went too far. In addition to evening out the frame rate of the sets, they also decided to add adaptive motion interpolation technology, which means that, instead of simply repeating each frame of a movie five times (120 / 5 = 24), the TV displays ONE frame from the movie, then buffers the NEXT frame, and then CREATES four frames to go in between them. THAT is the cause of most peoples' dislike of 120hz sets.

Now, I don't own a 120hz set, so I can only speak with second-hand knowledge, but from what I have seen and read, some implementations of the adaptive motion technology are better than others (Sony apparently has the best). And more importantly, again based on what I've been told, on most 120hz sets that feature can be turned off (it is on by default).

The bottom line from what I've read is that 120hz is the future (DLP is now implementing it, and I've heard that LG has either just released or is preparing a model with the same feature). As long as we can disable the silly interpolation feature, and just get even frame rates from various video sources, I'd call that a good thing.

seems like movie studios would start shooting at a higher frame rate as well.
You can clearly see that judder on screen in theaters too ....

seems like movie studios would start shooting at a higher frame rate as well.
You can clearly see that judder on screen in theaters too ....
The judder you see in the theater is different than the judder you see on a conventional TV screen.

The theater judder is caused by the fact that the light behind the film is blocked as the frame changes, resulting in a momentary black screen. Digital projection systems don't have this problem at all (one of the reasons Lucas prefers digital). Of course, digital projection systems can also project at numerous higher frame rates, as well :).

The judder on a TV screen is caused by an uneven number of video frames attempting to represent an even number of film frames. Imagine taking four film frames, but displaying them over 5 video frames. It can't be done without displaying part of the frames twice, and the rest only once. This causes an apparent stutter in the motion on the screen.

I have a sharp AQUOS 46" and let me tell you is one of the best tv's out there for there incredible sharp 1080p

LC42D64U5.jpg

SHARP and SAMSUNG are the leading brands for LCDs

trust me !! AQUOS KICKS ASS!!

Good luck

yeah there was a 52" at best buy that was calling out my name...i just bought a 50" DLP that is 720p, but i keep fighting the urge to make the jump to 1080p and call it a day.
here's the one i've been thinking about getting what do you guys think??
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101138

Last edited:
Back