1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at this image I found in the web, I've never seen it? Could it be from a deleted scene? The website I found it on had no clue either.

1114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wonder if it could be from a commercial, or some kind of promo... I could see him acting out a shoot sequence for a Kenner Commercial.

Look at this image I found in the web, I've never seen it? Could it be from a deleted scene? The website I found it on had no clue either.

1114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great find. There are all kinds of deleted scenes from Empire mostly involving the wampa's, but most of those take place inside the rebel base. There are also numerous stills that seem to have been posed with minimal regard for movie continuity. Given that a number of Luke's scenes were literally shot from the door of the hotel this could have been taken anytime by a stills photographer simply asking Mark to do an action pose.

1114.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No, I think it was just a publicity pic - I have the same set-up photographed from two other angles. Will try to dig those pics out. One is really clear but the other is a bit bleary. But maybe it was a scene to explain what happened to Luke's blaster in the Wampa cave.

That looks like a screen grab from a VHS source. You can see the generation loss tearing around the sides of the frame and the pixel grain. It most certainly looks like a deleted scene and that image came from a videotape source.

That looks like a screen grab from a VHS source. You can see the generation loss tearing around the sides of the frame and the pixel grain. It most certainly looks like a deleted scene and that image came from a videotape source.

Yeah, but he's missing his pistol after the Wampa attack and he's never seen in that Hoth outfit again, so not sure where the scene would fit. Maybe it was an extension of the Wampa attack where Luke is just knocked off the Taun and pulls his pistol instead of being knocked cold immediately.

I think it's more likely promo pics though because the pics I have (from the same shoot set-up) he's wearing his goggles - which he loses during the Wampa attack - so I'm guessing they did that "goggles on/goggles off" for promo shot variety. It's interesting that his inner white shirt isn't tucked in, yet he has no Wampa injury make-up.

The videotape source is a mystery though.

Movie-making is a constantly evolving process. It could have been an earlier take. There's the extended swordfight duel between the Cairo Swordsman and Indy in Raiders but Harrison was sick with dysentery and rather than keep doing take after take suggested shooting him and that was the take that was used. There's also this mystery shot from the extended Wampa attack on Echo Base:

Luke_gunner_01.jpg
LukeLaserIceCutter-MOTESB.jpg

Movie-making is a constantly evolving process. It could have been an earlier take. There's the extended swordfight duel between the Cairo Swordsman and Indy in Raiders but Harrison was sick with dysentery and rather than keep doing take after take suggested shooting him and that was the take that was used. There's also this mystery shot from the extended Wampa attack on Echo Base:

View attachment 176924
View attachment 176927

I've seen the wampa attack deleted scenes and I don't think any main characters other than R2 were involved (lots of Echo Base troopers.) There may have been more filmed though - for example, how 3PO knows about the Wampas when he tears that sticker and how the Wampas got locked up.

I've got some pics of that same transporter cannon photo set-up with Han, Luke, Leia and Chewy also posing in action together around it and taking turns using it and it looks very promo image and not a movie scene (just by the way they're all posing,) but you'd think they would have tried to use that prop somehow.

At the very least it would have given Kenner an excuse to sell a few more toys. :lol

vintage_kenner_sw_esb_mlc-3_afa_graded_75_11911954.jpg

Yeah, I didn't care for the DX head... it's a better quality sculpt, but the Sideshow looks like Hamill.

Yeah, I didn't care for the DX head... it's a better quality sculpt, but the Sideshow looks like Hamill.

I was slightly underwhelmed when I immediately unboxed Luke and was just looking at the headsculpt and eyes up close to make sure I didn't have a wonky eye or anything, but as soon as I posed the figure and put it on the shelf I was amazed. Looks really great, great likeness.
My only quibble with Han and Luke at this point is their skin tone, both look too tan, which makes less sense since they're on Hoth. Was expecting a little more paleness with maybe a hint of pink to signal the cold. I think only the exclusive Luke headsculpt has the color about right, but maybe it's paler because they're trying to make him look sickly.

Yeah, both Han and Luke are pretty dark complected... although it's pretty much in line with the skin tones HT currently uses and a lot better than the beige tones Sideshow used on the earlier Pro figures like Indy.

Both HT and SS portraits are average IMO. One offers a slightly better portrait but misses the detail and paint apps whereas the other has lesser likeness but does better on paint apps and detail. Perhaps one day we will get the perfect combination. Until then Hoth cap / scarf will be the version of choice.

Back