1/6th Scale Sideshow Boba Fett Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any way of doing the hot water trick without getting the plastic on the back wet and causing it to shrink? Also, what is water treatment? How would you do it for the braids?

Basically, the water treatment is dipping a figure with its clothes on and letting the fabric dry as it hangs naturally over the base body. You could futz the clothes to get the desired folds before they dry.

Basically, the water treatment is dipping a figure with its clothes on and letting the fabric dry as it hangs naturally over the base body. You could futz the clothes to get the desired folds before they dry.

So you could just spray the braids with water, straighten them, and be done? Sounds easy. Now, how would you minimize the shrinking of the back plastic while heating the armor with water?

So you could just spray the braids with water, straighten them, and be done? Sounds easy. Now, how would you minimize the shrinking of the back plastic while heating the armor with water?

I think you're confused. There is no back plastic. The back armor is attached directly through the vest with 2 screws. No plastic backing at all. The back of the vest comes undone with velcro. Only plastic backing is at the front.

I recommend trying to heat the bottom slowly in 10 second intervals instead of Billy Ray's 20 since he seems to have a lot more experience. Plus... you can always add more heat to shrink/bend... but you can't reverse the process. Baby steps me thinks.

I think you're confused. There is no back plastic.

I think you're confused. I'm pretty sure he meant the plastic in back of the front armor panels.

I recommend trying to heat the bottom slowly in 10 second intervals instead of Billy Ray's 20 since he seems to have a lot more experience. Plus... you can always add more heat to shrink/bend... but you can't reverse the process. Baby steps me thinks.

This, on the other hand is right on. Baby steps, indeed. The phrase "proceed at your own risk" should be burned into everyone's noggins by now. :goodpost:

I think you're confused. I'm pretty sure he meant the plastic in back of the front armor panels.

Exactly what I meant.

This, on the other hand is right on. Baby steps, indeed. The phrase "proceed at your own risk" should be burned into everyone's noggins by now. :goodpost:

Guess so. How would someone know if the armor is soft enough to bend? I know with cheaper plastics you can feel it become rubbery and more pliable. Same deal?

Oooh. Well I intend to cause shrinkage to the plastic backing of mine. Getting it to just bend won't solve the thickness issue. It seems by getting it to shrink, it'll actually look realistic as it makes the material look too thick on the before pictures. Just IMO of course.

And on knowing when to bend. Try dipping it in hot water for 5 seconds... will it bend? No? Then try 8. Then try 12. Then try 15. You get the picture? We really don't have any concrete information since we're all pioneering this Boba Futz endeavor. :)

Its an Ex with 2k figures. Anyone familiar with SS releases should have known it would repop in stock. :dunno

I've been following since 2006, and not many have. WL conversions are common, but coming back into stock not so much. (especially when they CLOSED the WL)

I've been following since 2006, and not many have. WL conversions are common, but coming back into stock not so much. (especially when they CLOSED the WL)

RnR and Zartan have both done it recently. Zartan did it twice after initial sell out. Those are just two I noticed because I wished I'd ordered them early, so I was happy when they went back up. I also know one of the Batmans did it not long ago. So, this is 4 recently.

So, not only was the vest armor plastic thing (though a great idea) not done well at all, but it's also booby trapped to not be fixable by conventional heat treatment. :slap

I think I'll wait and see how it goes when somebody tries the cut the plastic back apart trick.

Anyhow, here's a few non-futzed pics of my Boba. Actually, I did futz a little by pulling the ankle pegs out a bit so I could stretch the pants and reveal his school supplies better, and I raised his knee pads just above the figure's actual knees.

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

Has anyone tried leaving it in the sunlight for a bit then reshaping? (Remember thermal growth of plastic)

...you might even try wrapping the vest with a cloth band around a cyclider type structure to get the shape you want when it's in the sun.

Example: Some urethane and pastic car parts sag in the sunlight as they expand and shrink back in the night to it tightly. I think we can use this to our advantage. Putting the vest in hot water causes too rapid of change. I believe it will buckle.. Let the sun gradually make the material pliable. Just my two cents.

So, not only was the vest armor plastic thing (though a great idea) not done well at all, but it's also booby trapped to not be fixable by conventional heat treatment. :slap

I think I'll wait and see how it goes when somebody tries the cut the plastic back apart trick.

Anyhow, here's a few non-futzed pics of my Boba. Actually, I did futz a little by pulling the ankle pegs out a bit so I could stretch the pants and reveal his school supplies better, and I raised his knee pads just above the figure's actual knees.

IMG_1731.jpg

This is far and away the best pic so far - colors, pose. Looks like the full size costume.

Can't believe how in all the early pics the green looked so Kermit. It really looks good now that more pics are coming out. And never noticed how the two shoulder armor pieces were supposed to be different yellows.

RnR and Zartan have both done it recently. Zartan did it twice after initial sell out. Those are just two I noticed because I wished I'd ordered them early, so I was happy when they went back up. I also know one of the Batmans did it not long ago. So, this is 4 recently.

Well i'm referring just to the SW line.

This is far and away the best pic so far - colors, pose. Can't believe how in all the early pics the green looked so Kermit. It really looks good now that more pics are coming out. And never noticed how the two shoulder armor pieces were supposed to be different yellows.

My pics initially looked a bit more vibrant too, but I adjusted them in Photoshop to look exactly how it does in person. The greens are actually pretty right on to how I painted the proto. Very, very, very slightly shifted.

Back