1/6th Scale IG-88 Figure LINK IN 1ST POST!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, I just don't think there's longevity in these toys we're collecting. Look at the 3" market, or Star Wars Hasbro. Oversaturated.
Yeah, that's how I ultimately felt, too, and part of why I liquidated my never displayed collection (among other reasons, biggest being I concluded I'd never be able to display it as it deserved and the fact it clashed w/my minimalism). I had a good $12k+ worth collecting dust in my basement. I was fortunate that the low Canadian/high US dollar exchange made up for selling most at a loss and one custom sale in particular meant I was able to brake even. Otherwise I'd probably have lost 20% or more... I get these aren't an investment and for anyone collecting bounty hunters, it's good news not to have to pay secondary market for IG-88 (I sold mine for about cost, though). However, if it ever comes time to sell your collection, you'll be glad to get most of your money out, I'm sure. There's always other uses for it, even if it's just other stuff that will depreciate but is more practical.

The Internet exposed several older collectibles as being not nearly as scarce as they were previously perceived.

Personally I don't buy this stuff because I believe I am sitting on a future goldmine, I buy it because "these" are the toys I always dreamed of owning as a kid. That said, I have to constantly remind myself that my collection is growing larger than it needs to be. It's probably much more likely that the value of this stuff will suffer in the future than it is that the price will rise. So buy the stuff you want to keep. It's been my experience that sealed lego sets are much better investments than 1/6 figures.

Don't tell me about it. Every day, I wake up thinking about what to do with my 10179 sealed lego set. For now, I'm tending to keep it. But it is a hard decision, since it's so valuable these days. Lego star wars is an great investment. 😄

wow what's that little time stamp down there? did the old iphones have that?

giphy.gif

Those must be vintage collectible iphones by now

wow what's that little time stamp down there? did the old iphones have that?

giphy.gif

Those must be vintage collectible iphones by now

Apoligies for the mahooosive date/time stamp, it's not my pic.. comedy timing required a fast post response to KuatofKuat, with IG-88 for on-topic.. followed by a cat re-acting.. et viola. :lol

Don't tell me about it. Every day, I wake up thinking about what to do with my 10179 sealed lego set. For now, I'm tending to keep it. But it is a hard decision, since it's so valuable these days. Lego star wars is an great investment. ��

Unless they re-released a better set of the vehicle you have :lol I think there have been quite a few Millennium Falcons and I've owned 2 versions of the X-wing, the first of which did not sell well when I tried to unload it for the newer one :lol

Is BBTS going to get this or just SS? I'm in CA and try to avoid state sales tax when I can.

...what about Europe then?

I assume they will have some retailers that can sell in Europe, but I'm not positive about that. But in the past I thought that was the case for these figures that were an exclusive rather than having an exclusive piece.

Here is the last eight SW 1/6 figures Ssc has put up for preorder:

1. "Unpainted" painted R2D2- repaint reissue
2. IG 88- reissue
3. 4 Lom - new figure head, but entire body reused from 3PO
4. E Webb - reissue
5. Snowspeeder Luke- most of the figure cobbled together from the Hoth and X wing releases
6.R5 J2- repaint reissue
7. Probe droid - reissue
8. Boba Fett- reissue

It's like the CEO at a recent board meeting posed the question "Is there any way we can fire our creative department, get rid of everyone in R and D, and still make boatloads of money selling Star Wars Toys?"

That's a pretty sad line-up for the year.... beside Jawas.

Now that the Jawas shipped I have no SS pre-orders. As I let my display be all ANH I actually only have R2 on display from SS. Everything else is HT and then the Tama 3PO.

...what about Europe then?
On the product page it advises:

SSC said:
Exclusively available through Sideshow.com. Limited availability in select international territories.
Not sure if that means certain countries can buy direct from Sideshow or if the figure itself will be made available to order overseas, but I would think the latter?

Values of collectibles discussions aside, what this re-release means is the end of the Sideshow 1/6 Star Wars line as it has existed for a decade. And I think I'm moving from the anger to acceptance stage. Yes, they'll do a few new figures going forward, but it'll be 1/4 of the output they once did (it already is)... and they'll be $300 (which it almost is.)

Sure, I always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with SSC (like most did) but as I've always said, they were the only company in the world that would make decent 1/6 versions of the coolest characters, many of them 2nd tier characters like bounty hunters and military (and everyone knows SW is as much about the background guys as the heroes,) so I'll miss getting the ones they never did.

Fortunately, like many of the customizers on here, I can take a shot at making most of them and probably end up with close to a SSC quality figure, but there was certainly an excitement to SSC announcing a figure like Bossk or Snowtrooper and then getting in-hand, and many collectors can't make these figures.

I was often mocked for defending SSC's figures against the HT fanboys, but I was also hit with multiple neg feedbacks by Admin for "negativity" toward SSC - sort of summarizes that love/hate thing. But I'm already missing their output, and realizing an era is passing - or has passed.:(

Yep, that new head will be plopped on the previous Bossk body.

It's a pretty cool looking new head, but honestly seems more like CW inspired look than more accurate to ESB.

It's rather ironic to think that I sold my Bossk and IG-88 partly because I assumed SSC would never get around to the rest of bounty hunters.

Now, they're re-releasing them, so everyone can have a chance to get them all, once they get around to Dengar and Zuckuss. . . which I imagine are coming in the next few months. After all, Dengar does re-use some Snowtrooper parts, and Zuckuss is mostly soft goods.

That IS why they re-issued them after all. As it would be unlikely that people would buy Zuckuss or Dengar, if the only way to get all of them was to buy IG-88 and Bossk at secondary market prices. I can't begrudge SSC for their business savvy. It just sucks to be on the losing team.

I feel bad for the folks that are paying and extra $40 for IG-88 now, saying "It's cheaper than eBay". . . yeah, but it's more expensive than the first version and you get less stuff. All in all, SSC are the only winners here.

Here is the last eight SW 1/6 figures Ssc has put up for preorder:

1. "Unpainted" painted R2D2- repaint reissue
2. IG 88- reissue
3. 4 Lom - new figure head, but entire body reused from 3PO
4. E Webb - reissue
5. Snowspeeder Luke- most of the figure cobbled together from the Hoth and X wing releases
6.R5 J2- repaint reissue
7. Probe droid - reissue
8. Boba Fett- reissue

It's like the CEO at a recent board meeting posed the question "Is there any way we can fire our creative department, get rid of everyone in R and D, and still make boatloads of money selling Star Wars Toys?"

That is sad. Unfortunatley, now with Hot Toys Yoda, I will be biting the $270 bullet and buy Snowspeeder Luke. HT Yoda, SSC Hut, and that Luke will be a perfect Dagobah display for me.

I am in for IG-88, 4-LOM, and R5-J2. Decent line-up of figures. Hoping SDCC they will show a lot of new pieces along with a re-issue Bossk and Emperor with Throne.

Back