1/6th Scale Celebration VI Exclusive - Commander Ganch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can't we get this sort of preview for every figure?

You're setting precedent here. I hope.

I'm probably not suppose to show what I did, but I figure one image isn't going to kill anyone or ruin it for folks. The only thing they asked me to hold off on showing is my artwork that will be a part of the packaging.

He reportedly appeared in another webcomic the following year, probably with the Phase II bucket.

I'm pretty sure the phase 2 bucket is a Sideshow decision, and it has no actual reference. Originally, Sideshow had China paint this one up from scratch, but the paint came back too pastel red and had no weathering, and the phase 2 bucket was exaclty the same paint design as the phase 1, but it didn't come off right. I repainted all the armor in a better shade of red, and Sideshow gave me a mock up sketch of how they wanted the phase 2 paint scheme to look, and that's what I went by fo that. All weathering and scratches were at my discretion though.

Last edited:
Trevor Grove sculpted the head. I painted the armor. You're welcome. Glad you like it.

No surprise considering your talent, but awesome job as always. I'm glad they let you go freestyle on the BD, it came out very well. :yess:

I'm probably not suppose to show what I did, but I figure one image isn't going to kill anyone or ruin it for folks. The only thing they asked me to hold off on showing is my artwork that will be a part of the packaging.

Well, I appreciate it, the sketches and reveal are both pretty cool of you. :clap

I don't care how obscure this character is or how 'cloned out' I am, this looks amazing and I want to pick one up.

Great job by all involved, it looks awesome.

Clone_Commander_Ganch_Concept_by_Hodges_Art.jpg

This is the sketch I did on a Wacom Tablet that was approved by Lucas. I think the "Doc Holiday" Ref was what got it approved quickly. I sent it in early in the morning, it was OK'ed by mid afternoon.

Thats pretty cool. Can I ask a silly question. Did they call and say "we need a red clone..." or was that left to you as well?

The blaster locations need futzed with on the demo and separated, they look much better on the sketches.

I'm pretty sure the phase 2 bucket is a Sideshow decision, and it has no actual reference. Originally, Sideshow had China paint this one up from scratch, but the paint came back too pastel red and had no weathering, and the phase 2 bucket was exaclty the same paint design as the phase 1, but it didn't come off right. I repainted all the armor in a better shade of red, and Sideshow gave me a mock up sketch of how they wanted the phase 2 paint scheme to look, and that's what I went by fo that. All weathering and scratches were at my discretion though.

OK... lots to cover...

1. I'm Tom Hodges, I co-created/Designed Ganch.

2. He appeared in Two Web Comics for starwars.com They ran concurrently with Season 2 and Season 3. Essentially, Ganch was Bolla Ropal's Clone Commander. Ropal was captured and murdered by Cad Bane in the beginning of Season 2 (which is where the web comic begins). He then became the Clone Commander to Keelyvine Reus (another co-creation between myself and Pablo Hidalgo)

Season 1 was collected in a Trade Paperback (published jointly by DHC and Dreams & Visions Press) and sold at CV, Season 2/3 are hopefully going to be collected soon together. So I get why some folks haven't seen or heard of him before. But with that said, the #1 feature on SW.com for 3 years was the Comic. 200K readers per week when posted. The web site went through a bunch of changes and has been put on hold. While popular, it was free to the public and not cost effective. Season 4 would have debuted the Phase II helmet.Sideshow requested it for the Figure.

3. Ganch's name is the form of torture in the Middle East. It's not pretty. Pablo came up with the name. If you'd like to see more images as well as the initial design George approved, I'll post it.

4. I'm COMPLETELY cool with people who don't dig the figure.But he does have a fan base. I'm seeing him pop up all over Google in everything from 501st members making the armor to customs (3 3/4 figures to Legos). So the "exclusive" will be low numbered but should also be available in limited numbers to Non-attendees.

Lastly, IrishJedi, dude, I have NO idea what I did to wrong you and to have you call me a "bad human being" but you really should contact me about it. I haven't a clue what it's about. drop me an email, [email protected] so we can clear this up.

Just a note.

loving all the behind the scenes talk to a figure regardless of who and when.we NEED that sort of stuff in these threads.gives connection to the figures we all buy.
Due to the Exclusiveness and the small amount being made-this is a must not miss figure or regret and pay double later.
cant wait to see more pics!!
the box art tom mentioned has me curious to see what is coming due to the character only seen in webcomics.

Due to the Exclusiveness and the small amount being made-this is a must not miss figure or regret and pay double later.

Agreed I am interested in the character and like some of the figures I own I would have to hate paying ridiculous prices that some want now.

loving all the behind the scenes talk to a figure regardless of who and when.we NEED that sort of stuff in these threads.gives connection to the figures we all buy.

I hope some of the powers that be really take that to heart. That has been my philosophy since day one. As a fan first, knowing behind the scenes stuff is awesome, and not just the pre-approved, watered down marketting stuff we sometimes get. Think about it. Since DVDs started including supplimental material, it has been clear that fans like to know as much as possible about any property they like, regardless of how it fits into the mold the creators made for it. For example, I love knowing that when Indiana Jones shoots the Swordsman in Raiders, it was because Ford was too sick to do the scripted, long fight scene that was written, yet that became one of the coolest moments in the series. It's even cooler to me knowing how it came about.

I hope some of the powers that be really take that to heart. That has been my philosophy since day one. As a fan first, knowing behind the scenes stuff is awesome, and not just the pre-approved, watered down marketting stuff we sometimes get. Think about it. Since DVDs started including supplimental material, it has been clear that fans like to know as much as possible about any property they like, regardless of how it fits into the mold the creators made for it. For example, I love knowing that when Indiana Jones shoots the Swordsman in Raiders, it was because Ford was too sick to do the scripted, long fight scene that was written, yet that became one of the coolest moments in the series. It's even cooler to me knowing how it came about.

Similiar to the Han/Leia moment in TESB.

Same with the figures,wether it be Hasbro or Sideshow-i love to see pre approved or non approved,the processes and how IT comes to BE.This is with the card art,box art etc etc.
I too hope the powers that be read this.Just need it for line specifics e.g...Star wars,Joes,whatever...it helps add to the fandom and gives us collectors an insight into what goes on behind the scenes-sculpting,painting,art etc....

I like the clones, I like the commanders but really to many commander. Will I buy this one, sure. I like where his guns are, the colors, etc. Only this one must have been taken off his helmet alot, he looks black?

Back