1/6 Star Ace - Underworld Evolution - Selene Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, please stop sending me PMs and read what I said in the posts :lol

I have messaged him asking for the cost of paint and rooting hair. He's not got back to me. If/when he does, I'll post the answer here.

I thought it would be fairly obvious that it's not going to be cheap. Anything that looks that good won't be.

The recast on ebay is painted so much better than the factory head. A custom head with rooted hair I bet costs $100 or more...much more in fact.

While it may be an expensive option, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to have that repaint/rooted version. Selene was/is a Grail figure for me; having one that is just acceptable knowing their is a better option out there is ... well, unacceptable.

While it may be an expensive option, I'd be willing to pay a little extra to have that repaint/rooted version. Selene was/is a Grail figure for me; having one that is just acceptable knowing their is a better option out there is ... well, unacceptable.

Fair enough, like I said I'd love to have that exact same rooted head myself.

I'd be interested in a repaint with rooted hair. I've been planning to send mine out for repaint but there are several projects in front of it. So if I can hop in on a project it would make things simpler.

And more affordable too, I think.

He read my Facebook message and ignored it. Not a good sign. So, I tried again, at least wanting a "no" if that's the case and not to just be ignored.

Either way, it shows you what can be done with that Selene sculpt.

I know of another good painter who does rooted, so I'll speak to them next.

I'm not keen on starting a project because I don't want the hassle, but will post my findings in here.

Right, he's got back to me.

To have this done:

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 16.10.31.jpg

So, rooted and painted Star Ace sculpt is. . .

$230 if you supply the head.

$260 for him to supply the head.

Price is what I expected at this level.

He's in China and patience is needed for the translation/English when dealing with him.

Like I say, I'm not interested in starting a project or taking this on in any way, but for those that want to get it done, he's given permission for me to pass on his Facebook details rather than posting it in here. So, PM me if you want to do that.

Right, he's got back to me.

To have this done:

View attachment 356492

So, rooted and painted Star Ace sculpt is. . .

$230 if you supply the head.

$260 for him to supply the head.

Price is what I expected at this level.

He's in China and patience is needed for the translation/English when dealing with him.

Like I say, I'm not interested in starting a project or taking this on in any way, but for those that want to get it done, he's given permission for me to pass on his Facebook details rather than posting it in here. So, PM me if you want to do that.

I'll have to stick with my recast for now due to that price, which I'm more than happy to do. Thanks for going out of your way to field the inquiries about it. :hi5:

No worries. He has a couple of takers straight away, but I understand it can be out of some people's price ranges/justification.

Can't wait to see when people get them and their pictures.

Boom!!!

$_1.JPG

$_3.JPG

She looks on a total different level with blue eyes.

Well, I got this recast today, it's a quality casting and paint job, not better than the original, about at the same level. It seems to be made of a light, slightly transparent, high quality, hard resin with hardly any shrinkage, it's almost the exact same size as the original. The bridge of the nose thinned a bit which only helped the likeness to Beckinsale. The pant is very good all around but can not old a candle to that repaint with rooted hair we're seeing lately here in this thread. The only small issue I have with the paint is that the roots of the hair visible at the forehead could have a bit more paint, it's a bit thin.

There is one major issue here though, it's very hard and the ball joint neck post will not go into the corresponding hole in the recast head. I tried heating the head up with near boiling water and there is no give in the material (which leads me to believe that this is made from resin and not your typical plastic). I can not get the recast head onto the body and feel that if I force it, I'll break the body. I have the head resting a bit precariously on top of the neck post at the moment which looks okay, but to get this on there proper, it will take some work drilling the opening of the recast head's post hole to make it wide enough for the neck post.

It's not a bad option, I'm hoping Star Ace makes another attempt at Selene and gives us a blue eyed, rooted hair, vamping head with a stronger likeness and better paint job in the future.

Well, I got this recast today, it's a quality casting and paint job, not better than the original, about at the same level. It seems to be made of a light, slightly transparent, high quality, hard resin with hardly any shrinkage, it's almost the exact same size as the original. The bridge of the nose thinned a bit which only helped the likeness to Beckinsale. The pant is very good all around but can not old a candle to that repaint with rooted hair we're seeing lately here in this thread. The only small issue I have with the paint is that the roots of the hair visible at the forehead could have a bit more paint, it's a bit thin.

There is one major issue here though, it's very hard and the ball joint neck post will not go into the corresponding hole in the recast head. I tried heating the head up with near boiling water and there is no give in the material (which leads me to believe that this is made from resin and not your typical plastic). I can not get the recast head onto the body and feel that if I force it, I'll break the body. I have the head resting a bit precariously on top of the neck post at the moment which looks okay, but to get this on there proper, it will take some work drilling the opening of the recast head's post hole to make it wide enough for the neck post.

It's not a bad option, I'm hoping Star Ace makes another attempt at Selene and gives us a blue eyed, rooted hair, vamping head with a stronger likeness and better paint job in the future.

Ugh...I have no experience doing this. How much of a pain will this be and where exactly does it have to be drilled? My Dad has a lathe, can that be used?

Ugh...I have no experience doing this. How much of a pain will this be and where exactly does it have to be drilled? My Dad has a lathe, can that be used?

The hole in the bottom of the recast head where the neck post inserts needs to be enlarged. You just need a handheld drill (variable speed according to how you pull that trigger, just go slow and lightly squeeze the trigger) and a standard drill bit the same diameter as the ball of the neck post and something that will hold the head stable and straight but not mar the exterior of the head (I've just used my own grip before without issues). Don't go too deep, you can mark your desired depth with a bit of masking tape wrapped around the drill bit. To keep the head on the figure once you are done, if the hole is the right size it'll just pressure fit, if it's a bit larger than the ball joint of the neck post, use a little blue tack type adhesive putty, or hot glue in the hole of the head to keep the head on the neck post.

I'll try and measure the neck post later and let you know the approximate diameter drill bit I'll be using.

The hole in the bottom of the recast head where the neck post inserts needs to be enlarged. You just need a handheld drill (variable speed according to how you pull that trigger, just go slow and lightly squeeze the trigger) and a standard drill bit the same diameter as the ball of the neck post and something that will hold the head stable and straight but not mar the exterior of the head (I've just used my own grip before without issues). Don't go too deep, you can mark your desired depth with a bit of masking tape wrapped around the drill bit. To keep the head on the figure once you are done, if the hole is the right size it'll just pressure fit, if it's a bit larger than the ball joint of the neck post, use a little blue tack type adhesive putty, or hot glue in the hole of the head to keep the head on the neck post.

I'll try and measure the neck post later and let you know the approximate diameter drill bit I'll be using.

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

a78add73801af4ed80c928af4e0bdfc5.jpg
c3fc139ece635a7c7c64785416c4e3c8.jpg
07f9a19b05cd27f4e840f71b02baea56.jpg

Got the eBay sculpt today, neither really nail the likeness but I'd say the star Ace is still slightly better, it's just the wide nose and weirdly angled eye sockets. The recast looks to be thinner and paint a bit flatter. So I think I'll be repainting and hairing the star Ace head and leave the custom head on till I get around to it. Do hope I can come close to that No.6 head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back