1/6 SSC Destro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Destro is one of the best figures in the line, he is not 80's Destro...but I don' think that is exactly what Hasbro wanted SS to do with the line, lots of guys are very close, some are 'artistic interpretations'.

If you like the figure buy it, if not don't...doesn't make the Destro huggin the Baroness on my shelf any less cool...

Speaking for myself, some people are very much civil in expressing their dislikes. Other people feel the need to mischaracterize the expression of that civility. It all goes straight out the window after that.

I wish those people could appreciate the genuine disappointment in those of us who don't like this figure, but we all seem to get broadbrushed as haters and trolls. It's insulting to have our point of view trivialized because they can't accept a negative review of a toy they like. Anticipation of Destro is what got me into the line. I bought a lot of figures I had no intentions of buying initially, in support of the whole, just to get to an event that never happened.

Who are you and when did you become intimately familiar with the thought processes of these people whom you don't know?

It's because a LOT of you 'veterans' act like snobs.

I don't care for this figure. I'm happy for those that do. But the majority of us don't feel the need to tear down someone else's excitement and joy at getting a new figure. We UNDERSTAND that a bunch of you guys HATE the figure. Before the figure was released, it was perfectly fine to express that early and often on this thread (which several of you DID). But now that it has been released, and you STILL make sure to let everyone know that you hate it, it's crap, it's garbage, a waste of money, killed the line, ect...as if anyone needed reminding of your thoughts on the figure. You know what the worst part of that is? That it makes others who really like the figure reluctant to even participate in the thread, not wanting to get made fun of or put down for liking something that others are so vocal about hating. Take a look at the Storm Shadow Version 2 thread. Besides myself, I can probably count on two hands how many people have posted pictures. Part of the reason is because of members like you guys, who feel the incessant need to bash, bash, bash, when they don't like something. I don't think that Storm Shadow Version 2 is the best figure, but he's pretty damned cool (improved body, great accessories, AWESOME tailoring). But what's the point of sharing when:

A.) There's barely any activity on the thread (even though the figure has just been released)?
B.) The majority of the activity is about how bad the figure is or how unfaithful to the card art it is (written mostly by a select few of the Elites)?

I wish those people could appreciate the genuine disappointment in those of us who don't like this figure, but we all seem to get broadbrushed as haters and trolls.

I really don't understand this statement. People have bought this figure and most that did seem to like it, warts and all, but you feel that we should all forget about that and focus on YOUR disappointment? Perhaps I'm not reading it the way you meant it, but that certainly sounds egocentric. Like you guys are the Unappreciated Scholars, and this thread shouldn't be about the figure, but about your struggle. It's ALWAYS disappointing when a figure isn't all it could be. We appreciate it, as you ram it down our throats ENDLESSLY. Here's what you don't realize: Your disappointment has registered! It has been appreciated. Anytime anyone posts anything positive - BAM! - you guys are right there to criticize it in some way (and usually work in a jab at teemu - whose posts are EQUALLY obnoxious, most of the time). And new posts get fewer and farther between. It has poisoned the thread. You win! Here's a great example from kl241, who dropped this gem:

Yeah I don't have to have seen it in-hand to know that this figure looks like utter dog**** but I suppose that's just because I have much better taste and imagination than those who feel they must rationalize their purchases to everyone else once they have theirs in-hand :pfft:

Yes, I realize the second part of that is satire, but who the hell wants to post after something like this?

Sideshow's Destro is a split. Some like it, others HATE it. But it is far from a terrible figure.

You guys get branded as haters and trolls because at this point, especially with regards to Sideshow's Destro, YOU ARE. I was really happy when EVILFACE started the hiatus thread, since I hoped that most of the venom against the last few releases would migrate over there, and away from threads about figures that are actually shipping. One of my favorite things to do in this hobby is to exchange pictures, ideas and thoughts about figures. It's hard to do that when you already know that you're going to get beat down by the veterans.

Rant over. A pat on the back for anyone who read the whole thing. I'm not saying I'm right about every damn thing, just stating my opinion. And an acknowledgement to kl241, devilof76 and teemu: I realize that you three are not the ONLY problem here. But an awful lot of the venom here these days seems to be connected to at least one of you.

Carry on.

It's because a LOT of you 'veterans' act like snobs.

I don't care for this figure. I'm happy for those that do. But the majority of us don't feel the need to tear down someone else's excitement and joy at getting a new figure. We UNDERSTAND that a bunch of you guys HATE the figure. Before the figure was released, it was perfectly fine to express that early and often on this thread (which several of you DID). But now that it has been released, and you STILL make sure to let everyone know that you hate it, it's crap, it's garbage, a waste of money, killed the line, ect...as if anyone needed reminding of your thoughts on the figure. You know what the worst part of that is? That it makes others who really like the figure reluctant to even participate in the thread, not wanting to get made fun of or put down for liking something that others are so vocal about hating. Take a look at the Storm Shadow Version 2 thread. Besides myself, I can probably count on two hands how many people have posted pictures. Part of the reason is because of members like you guys, who feel the incessant need to bash, bash, bash, when they don't like something. I don't think that Storm Shadow Version 2 is the best figure, but he's pretty damned cool (improved body, great accessories, AWESOME tailoring). But what's the point of sharing when:

A.) There's barely any activity on the thread (even though the figure has just been released)?
B.) The majority of the activity is about how bad the figure is or how unfaithful to the card art it is (written mostly by a select few of the Elites)?

I really don't understand this statement. People have bought this figure and most that did seem to like it, warts and all, but you feel that we should all forget about that and focus on YOUR disappointment? Perhaps I'm not reading it the way you meant it, but that certainly sounds egocentric. Like you guys are the Unappreciated Scholars, and this thread shouldn't be about the figure, but about your struggle. It's ALWAYS disappointing when a figure isn't all it could be. We appreciate it, as you ram it down our throats ENDLESSLY. Here's what you don't realize: Your disappointment has registered! It has been appreciated. Anytime anyone posts anything positive - BAM! - you guys are right there to criticize it in some way (and usually work in a jab at teemu - whose posts are EQUALLY obnoxious, most of the time). And new posts get fewer and farther between. It has poisoned the thread. You win! Here's a great example from kl241, who dropped this gem:

Yes, I realize the second part of that is satire, but who the hell wants to post after something like this?

Sideshow's Destro is a split. Some like it, others HATE it. But it is far from a terrible figure.

You guys get branded as haters and trolls because at this point, especially with regards to Sideshow's Destro, YOU ARE. I was really happy when EVILFACE started the hiatus thread, since I hoped that most of the venom against the last few releases would migrate over there, and away from threads about figures that are actually shipping. One of my favorite things to do in this hobby is to exchange pictures, ideas and thoughts about figures. It's hard to do that when you already know that you're going to get beat down by the veterans.

Rant over. A pat on the back for anyone who read the whole thing. I'm not saying I'm right about every damn thing, just stating my opinion. And an acknowledgement to kl241, devilof76 and teemu: I realize that you three are not the ONLY problem here. But an awful lot of the venom here these days seems to be connected to at least one of you.

Carry on.

Great post! well said!

I will say in my defense that some of my Obnoxiousness comes from constantly being attacked on here where my Name in CONSTANTLY brought up or brought into conversations just to make fun of me! Always trying to bait me into a flame war (bringing political or religious attacks against me)...So,whether I SHOULD just ignore it,I play their GAMES right back as I don't tolerate being bullied (and even bullied in REAL life)

I have voiced my opinion of this figure and have had nothing negative to say about the figure though the ARAH Elite patrol needs to come in here constantly make it an issue or sling insults at me every chance they can get

im so happy with him i bought 2 of him keep one boxed one to open, got the ex head on him with jaket but cant decide on it or the vest too many options with him. he is a great figure.

how about now
IMG_0350.jpg

Just got back from vacation and had some time to mess with this figure. Sidebar: I managed to stop in at Cotsworld Collectibles on my trip where they were extremely helpful and even had some stuff in store they did not have shown in stock online which was awesome. Plus, no shipping which is great. If you're ever around there I highly recommend stopping in. Back on topic. Here are some quick pics. I used a SE v2 sweater to add a little bulk and because I prefer the black over grey. I also added trooper hands so he can hold his extremely heavy case and his gun at the same time.

You guys still haven't figured out that Sideshow has been doing a modern G.I.JOE line based on the new comics :slap

That looks very good. I like it. :clap

Just got back from vacation and had some time to mess with this figure. Sidebar: I managed to stop in at Cotsworld Collectibles on my trip where they were extremely helpful and even had some stuff in store they did not have shown in stock online which was awesome. Plus, no shipping which is great. If you're ever around there I highly recommend stopping in. Back on topic. Here are some quick pics. I used a SE v2 sweater to add a little bulk and because I prefer the black over grey. I also added trooper hands so he can hold his extremely heavy case and his gun at the same time.

This actually looks like one of the cooler figures of the line. It seems that all the Cobra have had a lot more work put into them than the joes

I agree 100%. The Joes seem kind of boring to me. I like most of the Cobra figures and I think Destro is my favorite in the line. Granted I don't have him in-hand yet. He is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. But based on pictures he is my favorite.

Nice pics! Only suggestion I have is to go easy on the stand... Destro looks like he's getting a wedgie

I know Destro is sporting some padded pants but they don't seem to do much for the figure, in most pics his legs still look too skinny.

i was thinking of doing the same thing with my destro maybe using the zartan hands.
I tried SE hands, the colors are almost identical with the grey being slightly lighter, Cobra Commander hands (blue tint on the new one throws it off), Zartan hands have the bronze/brown tint which also looked off. The trooper hands were the best option for me because they're non-descript.

Nice pics! Only suggestion I have is to go easy on the stand... Destro looks like he's getting a wedgie
Agreed, he was really just trying to bring some attention to the area while the Baroness is around.

I know Destro is sporting some padded pants but they don't seem to do much for the figure, in most pics his legs still look too skinny.
Agreed, I think the height of the figure throws off the proportions relative to the others even on the bulkier pro bodies.

Holy ****, I knew as soon as that post about others opinions was put up, a ****fest was going to start. :slap

Let people have their opinions about the figure. Trying to stand on platitudes while calling people names because you don't like their negative opinion??? :lol

Here's a trick, instead of posting about 'you people who don't like Destro' or 'you people who like Destro' within your post, just post about the doll. Most (not all) situations like this starts with some holier than thou ******** about someone or some other group and rarely has anything to do with the actual figure.

Yeah, we should thank the new guy for that. Thanks new guy.

As for scaring people off, I don't recall being scared off in the Boba Fett thread when people had conniptions over the shade of green he was painted and his vest looked like a life preserver. I don't recall being scared off when Firefly was released. Destro didn't get credit as the linekiller until after he was released, so I'm not sure how that was something we were supposed to get out of our systems before release. Perhaps we're being too harsh. Perhaps credit for killing the line should be spread around to the last several figures. Perhaps we're just being dramatic, you know, taking our epic historical struggle too seriously, as though someone hurt our feelings or something. I defer to the egocentrism of those who like this figure. Oh, wait, they're afraid to post.

Perhaps they should learn to be a bit more egocentric...or would that make them trolls?

Still a lot of high school drama going on in this thread, lol. It sucks that some people that were waiting for this figure aren't happy with how it turned out, but there's no way everyone would have been happy anyway. If Destro would have been released with his original uniform I wouldn't have bought him because it wouldn't have fit in with Sideshow's updated versions of the other characters. I probably would have gotten on here and voiced my opinion that I didn't like it too. However, there's no reason to insult anyone that did buy it and like it and vice versa. I don't get on this forum to read the back-and-forth arguments about who is supposedly superior to everyone else because they think their opinion matters more. Berating people for their opinion doesn't have any place here. I want to read reviews (good and bad) by people that have the figure and see their pics of it.

e8a2y4uj.jpg

I wanted card art Destro. That's is what I purchased back in 1983 and had multiples of in my collection till I sold the little guys off some 7 years ago. Apparently he sucks now and isn't modern enough and goes for pennies on ebay.

I don't like how Sideshow led us on how Destro wasn't ready to be made, waiting on a new body blah blah and when they showed him, looked just like something they could have made years ealier.

I don't like this figure. Peps here know that. Lots of peps did like it and purchased it. Good for them.

The figure has a few pieces that can be used, I have those and will make a propper macho man float riding looking Destro that I grew up with.

And since SS has called it quits on Joe, I'll just have the make the rest myself. :dunno

Wonder how those Star Wars fans would react to Jedi Luke being issued with a trench coat or Evil Dead Heads getting their Ash Williams wearing a vest instead of a ripped shirt.

Back