1/6 SSC Destro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not their 'job.' That's just what YOU want them to do. But this line hasn't been 'as close as possible to the classic designs' from the beginning. Just because most of the characters were more realistic than Destro its worked out for most people. Like I said earlier, I knew Destro was going to make a lot of people not happy. There was no right way to do him to please everyone. Full classic wouldn't keep with the rest of the line. Fully Sideshow wouldn't please the "classic" collectors. This is somewhere in-between and nobody seems happy :lol

Thank you for that response. I was typing out more or less the same. Except mine had passive aggressive insults :lol

I felt all along Destro was going to be a polarizing figure like Firefly was.

A figure isn't polarizing if everyone hates it. There have to be people that like it too.

There was no right way to do him to please everyone.

Full classic will always please 99% of Joe collectors. Nobody says, "Firefly's updated look sucked but I hope they make Destro that way for the sake of consistency." :lol

Could turn out ok, ill wait for the full reveal, ill be happy if he comes with another portrait and tons of gear, 179$ minimum.

A figure isn't polarizing if everyone hates it. There have to be people that like it too.

Full classic will always please 99% of Joe collectors. Nobody says, "Firefly's updated look sucked but I hope they make Destro that way for the sake of consistency." :lol

Well, nobody really liked Firefly at first either. Then he grew on people once the camo head was added. Now some love him and some still dislike him. I imagine Destro will be the same way once fully revealed/in hand.

Well, nobody really liked Firefly at first either. Then he grew on people once the camo head was added. Now some love him and some still dislike him. I imagine Destro will be the same way once fully revealed/in hand.

That's because the camo head with a 21st Century camo suit pretty much allowed you to restore his vintage look. Destro? Forget it. You pretty much just have to customize him from scratch. No way would I pay $180 for a glorified Hasbro HOF Destro.

uh.....yeah that preview pic sure blows chunks. I probably had my expectations way too high for destro. what a downer. hopefully the full review will change my mind.

When I got out of collecting, I thought I was going to miss the release of Destro. After the reveal, I can see I'm not missing anything at all. Why did it take SS to make him? There is nothing special about this figure. This could have been made a while ago. I always though the whole delay was due to the lack of an SS muscular body. Was I wrong.:slap

Didn't Ski make a sharp RAH one?

Last edited:
I felt all along Destro was going to be a polarizing figure like Firefly was. I knew he was going to not be close to his classic look. He just couldn't be in Sideshow's established renditions. Zartan didn't have his bare six pack right? I saw no reason why Destro would have a big exposed chest after that. So the lack of a classic look is no surprise to me.

That said, I have to say I too am initially disappointed based on this teaser. The teasers usually are never the best view/idea of the full figure though. I fully expect him to have an alternate head we're not seeing yet. Just about all Joes have for the last few figures now and all of the DC figures are too. I think that's going to be a new standard for non-film based figures from Sideshow. So he could still have a different designed chromed dome.

I think going with something closer to his Resolute look would have been a better choice IMO. Its more realistic (thus fitting in with Sideshow's view) and certainly better looking than what we're seeing here so far.

I'm holding judgment until I see the full figure next week. I do feel this will really test the ELITE'S commitment to the line :lol

I never expected it to be an exact replica of the 3/4" Destro or the card art, but I expected a lot more than a baggy shirt and jacket. Sideshow has proven that they can "update" or interpret the characters in a decent enough way, at least pushing the envelope here and there with new things. I had really high hopes after the showed the new sculpted arms for R&R and Zartan, then the new forearms for Falcon. But 6 years into the line and Destro get a shirt and jacket?!?! A SHIRT AND JACKET!?!?! I wrongly assumed Sideshow was holding Destro back so long to unleash a new muscle body for exposed torso characters.

Maybe I'll eat crow when Destro is fully revealed. I expected so much more from Sideshow on this release. Bludd was a step in the right direction offering up some innovative design elements, Destro looks ho-hum by comparison. For prices closing in on $200 I don't expect 100% replication of card art, but I do expect something much more "cutting edge" design wise. Destro was an opportunity to step it up, after Bludd this feels like a step backward.

I never expected it to be an exact replica of the 3/4" Destro or the card art, but I expected a lot more than a baggy shirt and jacket. Sideshow has proven that they can "update" or interpret the characters in a decent enough way, at least pushing the envelope here and there with new things. I had really high hopes after the showed the new sculpted arms for R&R and Zartan, then the new forearms for Falcon. But 6 years into the line and Destro get a shirt and jacket?!?! A SHIRT AND JACKET!?!?! I wrongly assumed Sideshow was holding Destro back so long to unleash a new muscle body for exposed torso characters.

Maybe I'll eat crow when Destro is fully revealed. I expected so much more from Sideshow on this release. Bludd was a step in the right direction offering up some innovative design elements, Destro looks ho-hum by comparison. For prices closing in on $200 I don't expect 100% replication of card art, but I do expect something much more "cutting edge" design wise. Destro was an opportunity to step it up, after Bludd this feels like a step backward.

I can't argue with anything you've said. I'm hoping there is more too him, otherwise, as you said, why the long wait? :dunno

Same problem as Deluxe Vader. Same old crappy disposable Prometheus body. If Sideshow can't up the quality to match their ridiculous prices they might as well get out of the business and let the big boys make the hot toys.

:lecture:exactly:

From what we've seen so far, this apparently isn't even a good "middle ground" figure. And when you consider how long we've waited for it it's a full-on leg sweep to RAH fans/collectors.

G.I-Joe-Classic-Destro-Bobble-Head-500x500.jpg

This stupid bobble head got the mask right, why can't sideshow?

What is with all the rivets and seam lines? That just looks dumb. Rivets make something look modern? In design, **** like that is hidden. I don't see how anyone could find that "cool."

I'll eat some of the crow King is having if the full reveal shows a correct looking mask, jumpsuit and muscle body. So far, this is a figure they would have released right after Duke, not years later stringing us along that a new bigger muscular body was needed to do the figure justice. And then they tease us with The Tin Man.

Generally when theres elements of a figure from this line that people aren't digging, you can find it in a certain newer figure or series. I've been searching, I cannot find the inspiration for this, so is the bolted plates just total SSC made up?

I've seen Destro with bolts before, but not often or certainly not with iconic looks.

I think using this outfit might have been a better way to go. Classic, yet more realistic for this line:

1337236-destro.jpg

I know its just an overcoat over his normal outfit, but that could have worked here to deliver to both audiences (those wanting classic and those wanting to keep with the modern realistic take).

No idea if this is just fan art or something official, but the Sideshow outfit looks similar to this one:

destro_and_baroness_by_iliaskrzs-d2xp5qp.jpg

Everyone should hold their feet to the fire over the lack of chrome on the helmet, too. If Hasbro can do that on mass-produced 3.75" figures there is no excuse to slack off on a $200 1/6 figure. That's just B.S.

Back