1:6 Scale Sideshow Old Ben Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for customizing, I tweak all my figures. Much like a cat peeing in a corner, it somehow makes them MINE. I might try tanning him up someday, and I think I might want to give him a little bit of a paunch. Take a look at Old Ben's beltline, and you'll now it to be true: womp rat fritters is TASTY.

Adam, with regards to paunch, I fully intend to do the same with my Ben, but I wasn't sure how much give the belt offers to do that, can you let us know if the figure as is can allow for that, or if you have to take some extra measures to allow for padding his midsection, what those steps are, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm definitely looking forward to this one the most of all of the upcoming Star Wars figures. I have a waitlist order, but I'll probably just end up getting the non-exclusive. I can live without holo-Leia.

Ben came out looking quite nice I must say. Maybe a bit shiny but not too bad it appears. This appears to be one of the best figures in the entire line.

Thnx 4 showing us how he came out Adam :)

I wish I wasn't under deadline; I would take more pictures!

As for Ol' Ben's 'dinner-roll' complexion, yeah, he's got a bit of a Tatooine sweat going on.... must be all those layers!

A GREAT solution for your action figures with dangerous cases of flop-sweat is Testor's Flat Clear-Coat. I use it on ALL my custom figures.

You can apply with an airbrush (but, thin with Lacquer Thinner a little) or, the best part, you can apply it with a brush! Just spread on a nice even coat and let dry. The nice thing about this brand is, there's no blueish cast to the figure when done, and there's no 'milky' quality, that semi-opaque haze you get with some clear coats.

If you want to be Too Cool For The Room, get a bottle of Testor's Gloss Clear Coat at the same time. When you've made your glossy figure nice and dry-looking, re-establish those great Sideshow wet eyes with two dollops of Gloss.

The two clear coats and a bottle of thinner shouldn't run you more than $13, all told, at your local hobby shop.

-AH!

Thanks Adam ! I'd love to see more of this figure please! I hope that my place on the exclusive waitlist comes through ! ( I missed out on ordering this online unfortunately )

I will say, that every time I've put in a Wait List order at Sideshow, I've eventually gotten the item. Everybody gets a Ben Kenobi, I say!

-AH!

...or if you don't want to permanently alter this piece of art, try plummer's putty. It's available at all leading hardware stores.

All you have to do is take a piece of the putty and dab it on the plastic. This will take way the shine by putting a very thin layer of matte over it. It's removable and will dissipate on its own over time. We use it in toy commercials all the time, and I've never seen any lasting damage on any of the the toy props I've held onto for years.

Adam, with regards to paunch, I fully intend to do the same with my Ben, but I wasn't sure how much give the belt offers to do that, can you let us know if the figure as is can allow for that, or if you have to take some extra measures to allow for padding his midsection, what those steps are, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

MaulFan! Ben's belt is not snug at all, like Jedi Luke's belt was. The only thing holding it up is the 1/6 amount of the Force Trevor and the SS team built into the figure.

Also, Ben's belt has about 1/4-3/8 of an inch extra belt; meaning, the feed end of the belt doesn't just end at the buckle. You could probably put the fat suit from the SS Sgt Schultz on Ben, and there would be room for the belt.... not that Ben was as pudgy as Schultz. I'm just saying, there's lots of room for his belt to be widened. You'll have to take a pushpin or auger and make a new hole in the belt, but hey.... we all have to do that around the holidays, right?

I'll try to take a belt pic when my deadline's done, so you can see what I'm saying...

-AH!

Where are my more pictures..?

Looks FANTASTIC. I hope the great paint job survives the full run!

I think it will! I think SS sent me this from the giant cargo container of Old Bens that showed up from the far-flung Orient, it's not a preliminary production model or anything.

It'd be cool of everyone got theirs by Christmas!

-AH!

As for Ol' Ben's 'dinner-roll' complexion, yeah, he's got a bit of a Tatooine sweat going on.... must be all those layers!

-AH!

Thats cool. Its nothing major nor anything I'll be too worried about. I just wanted to make sure I saw what I saw.

Thanks Adam ! I hope I have your power behind me !

Paul, I never used to use the Wait List, until a buddy of mine told me that HE has always gotten a Wait List item. I thought the Wait List was the toy equivalent of a Soviet bread line, but it works for almost everyone I know.

-AH!

Thanks again Adam, my hopes have been lifted just that bit higher ! Congrats on being the first ( that we know of ) to own this figure !

As for the re-use of the Legolas hand, I don't think it's a case of "So, the SS guys are trying to be sneaky, re-using the exclusive hand from another figure!" or a case of "Who cares if it's exclusive, use it again!"

I think it's a case of good-old-fashioned "Wouldn't this be cool?!?"

I can't remember where I saw the prototype to Old Ben, whether it was ToyFair back in January or C4 in LA in May, but I turned to Sideshow's Scott Klauder & Brant Bridges (who love to show off cool stuff) and said "Is he stroking his beard with the Legolas arrow stabby handy thing?"

Their response was something to the effect of, one the SS guys was monkeying around with the Old Ben prototype, and put the Legolas hand on as a joke. The thing is, it looked so perfect, they thought they'd just throw the Leg hand (comedy!) in as a bonus.

So, I don't think it was a case of SS trying to cut corners or make a previous figure's exclusive less valuable, I think it was a genuine case of the hand being too perfect NOT to include.

Hey, I probably would've used the Leg hand on Old Ben anyways, seeing as how Legolas doesn't have any orcs or Uruk-hai to stab... Now, I can have Legolas arrow-stabbing thin air while Ben Kenobi, stroking his chin, looks at Leggy like HE's a Sideshow Freak (Double-pun! I'm off the ********g CHAIN!)

A true Christmas miracle.

-AH!

I think it will! I think SS sent me this from the giant cargo container of Old Bens that showed up from the far-flung Orient, it's not a preliminary production model or anything.

It'd be cool of everyone got theirs by Christmas!

-AH!

This is the best part of all your posting, pictures are nice, but this suggests maybe some shipments will fire up VERY soon for the rest of us, that'd be amazing if he shipped even tonight. Great times to be a collector of this line now.

Thanks for the info on the belt and paunch Adam, I'll probably just use some home good like cotton or something for the padding, but sounds like the belt should easily allow for it. Guiness, hahah, sort of has a beer belly more than anything because his face doesn't suggest being heavy, but his physique does, or maybe it's just being old.

Back