1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More progress this weekend on the true scale speeder.

However, whilst fitting the new side grilles I noticed a slight error on my part :slap
The left hand side grille was 2mm further over compared to the right hand side, simple solution....remove the one side and fit a new one
As I have designed and made this model from scratch it was an easy fix.

Image 61.jpg

Those of you who know me will know I'd much rather make you serious collectors something that is screen accurate and extremely high quality instead of cutting corners to make a quick buck and knowing that that side panel wasn't right would've drove me crackers :gah:

Not sure if I posted this before but here is a pic of a 1/6th figure sitting in the speeder.

Image 49.jpg

Progress on the screen.........this is a tricky little bugger to get movie accurate and on closer look is a very complex shape.
Think I'm on version 4 at the min but I'm getting closer each version.

When searching for reference images I've come across plenty of extremely poor attempts at the speeder and the 3d file can be downloaded or purchased from the internet but they are far from screen accurate and have shockingly bad topology resulting in them looking toy like....and not a good toy.

Jas

Almost forgot to say a big thank you to everyone who has contacted me recently to get on and make sure they are still on the pre-order list.

The interest in this build has just exploded over the last week or so and a lot of traffic appears to be coming from FB...a bit weird as I don't use FB :dunno

However me & Pete have decided to increase the number of speeders to help satisfy the demand, as there mustn't be any other movie accurate and highly detailed 1/6th speeder out there at the moment, so again another BIG thank you.

I plan on starting to dismantle this master prototype over the next week or so and start making the moulds ready for casting.

Jas

I love the fact that this will be true 1/6 scale and can fit Threepio in the back. Great job Jas and I can't wait to see the paint job when Pete gets his hands on it. As for Facebook, good news travels...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Holy cow, have just found that CultTVman have a few copies left of the very rare & sort after SCi-Fi & Fantasy Modeller magazine that Pete and me have been featured numerous times. I thought they were long sold out.

Mag 01.jpg

Sci-Fi Mag 02.jpg

Mag 03.jpg

A great trip down memory lane and I can remember going through these with the editor Mike some years ago.
Each article takes you through the processes used during a couple our my builds from start to finish (all skilfully hand crafted, no purchased 3d model files or 3d printed stuff allowed :lecture)

And then onto how Pete artistically recreates realistic textures, paint and weathering to produce one our extremely realistic and movie accurate models.

Yeah, do you have scans of the articles about you?

And I remember those stop-motion Tauntauns. Very cool pieces.

More progress this weekend on the true scale speeder.

However, whilst fitting the new side grilles I noticed a slight error on my part :slap
The left hand side grille was 2mm further over compared to the right hand side, simple solution....remove the one side and fit a new one
As I have designed and made this model from scratch it was an easy fix.

View attachment 440884

Those of you who know me will know I'd much rather make you serious collectors something that is screen accurate and extremely high quality instead of cutting corners to make a quick buck and knowing that that side panel wasn't right would've drove me crackers :gah:

Not sure if I posted this before but here is a pic of a 1/6th figure sitting in the speeder.

View attachment 440885

Progress on the screen.........this is a tricky little bugger to get movie accurate and on closer look is a very complex shape.
Think I'm on version 4 at the min but I'm getting closer each version.

When searching for reference images I've come across plenty of extremely poor attempts at the speeder and the 3d file can be downloaded or purchased from the internet but they are far from screen accurate and have shockingly bad topology resulting in them looking toy like....and not a good toy.

Jas

Be great to see a couple of videos of this before it gets painted.

More progress this weekend, added the small details, damage to the bodywork and the side grilles also improved some areas here and there.

Image 62.jpg

Image 63.jpg

Image 64.jpg

As with all my builds I have tried to keep this as close to movie accurate as possible and really pleased with the "wonky" side grilles.

The last image has the Speeder sitting on the prototype stand, with some very minor tweaking it should be completely invisible.

That screen won't be in the final release and is just one of the many prototypes', not quite perfected the screen yet.....but I will.

Great news.....I have actually started casting the smaller parts, I need to just clean up and fine tune some areas on the body then it'll be time for the big cast.
I'm hoping if all goes well with the main cast I could get everything (apart from the screen) over to Pete's for painting in the next 1 - 2 weeks :yess:

Thank you all that have contacted me interested in this speeder.

We only usually create a very limited run of each build but due to the huge demand we have increased the amount on this occasion.

I've already started on casting the smaller parts and if all goes to plan we should start full manufacture in the next few weeks.

Jas

More progress this weekend, added the small details, damage to the bodywork and the side grilles also improved some areas here and there.

View attachment 441838

As with all my builds I have tried to keep this as close to movie accurate as possible and really pleased with the "wonky" side grilles.

The last image has the Speeder sitting on the prototype stand, with some very minor tweaking it should be completely invisible.

That screen won't be in the final release and is just one of the many prototypes', not quite perfected the screen yet.....but I will.

Great news.....I have actually started casting the smaller parts, I need to just clean up and fine tune some areas on the body then it'll be time for the big cast.
I'm hoping if all goes well with the main cast I could get everything (apart from the screen) over to Pete's for painting in the next 1 - 2 weeks :yess:

Looking good Jas. As Mandible says. Getting close.

Perhaps a good point to ask what paint scheme / reference are you planning on using ? Should we all have a bit of input into that ? Not sure how much difference there is between photos or props. But knowing Star Wars there are probably 3 different paint jobs seen on screen. :rotfl:rotfl

Speeder is looking awesome Jay 👍

I have a load of screen grabs from the movie and some pics of the prop I found on net that were taken when the prop was on display. obviously my aim is to try and capture how the colours look onscreen as best I can and yes all input will be gratefully accepted and once I start painting I will post regularly to show progress and also get feedback from you guys this way I can make any changes that it might need as I go along and not after it’s all painted

my plan is to work on one initially so I can nail down the colours and weathering etc and once I have that done I will then do the run of them in a production line type thing.

So if you have any pics please share and also any info regarding the main colours that would be great

Pete

Hey Pete,

I spoke about color quite bit earlier on in the thread, and personally I'm with you, in that, it should be screen accurate, not prop accurate. The prop seems to be very "light" whereas the film seems darker - as do a lot of photos taken at the time of making the film.

This, as an example, looks great to me (except the dude in his pink shorts :)):

Speeder is looking awesome Jay [emoji106]

I have a load of screen grabs from the movie and some pics of the prop I found on net that were taken when the prop was on display. obviously my aim is to try and capture how the colours look onscreen as best I can and yes all input will be gratefully accepted and once I start painting I will post regularly to show progress and also get feedback from you guys this way I can make any changes that it might need as I go along and not after it’s all painted

my plan is to work on one initially so I can nail down the colours and weathering etc and once I have that done I will then do the run of them in a production line type thing.

So if you have any pics please share and also any info regarding the main colours that would be great

Pete
Hi Pete

I sent these pics to Jas months ago but they could be of the prop & not the on screen Speeder?
Either way, looking forward to the paint up as I can see this piece replacing my HT '89 Batmobile & DeLorean as the stand out vehicle in my collection. It's SW first, with everything else a distant second. [emoji16][emoji106]
e97e27816814ef74c86a12047166a785.jpg
79a419333de14699243701f06bfe2842.jpg
1a1ff5ab1d72b57cca5d05a2a002811c.jpg
f3bcee1a393ebfa866d1abc96715a19e.jpg
e92876ee777d91d8394ec985cd9e84e9.jpg
ed75cb6244efd978c67b04e14fc68b6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It would be great to also get some overall dimensions to judge where this will fit (or not.)

I would still love to see side-on, front-on and looking-down pics. Most of the pics have been somewhat distorted 3/4 angles or close-ups of various sections. Would also love to see a 1/6 figure standing next to it.

This, as an example, looks great to me (except the dude in his pink shorts :)):

:lol"I can't abide those boom operators - disgusting creatures."

It would be great to also get some overall dimensions to judge where this will fit (or not.)

I would still love to see side-on, front-on and looking-down pics. Most of the pics have been somewhat distorted 3/4 angles or close-ups of various sections. Would also love to see a 1/6 figure standing next to it.

[emoji38]"I can't abide those boom operators - disgusting creatures."
I think Jas posted these up a while ago.
cca33f50f9a1a66a79574536aa2b6e26.jpg
93b1f83064ad80afc31a12958e8a7905.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back