1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you mean you printed those almost-perfect patterns with the photon, right? Not the mega, which is a filament printer and its quality is not good enough, right?

BTW could you show something printed with the mega?

Concerning the Photon:

1) Assuming that I am right and those patterns you show on your post were actually printed with the Photon, how does the latter fare with completely flat surfaces, such as those seen precisely on those 2 patterns? They look as if done in a factory, perfectly flat where it is due to be flat, but there might be some postprocessing done on them to remove printing artifacts, such as some sanding or airbrush painting. Was there any, or they came out of the Photon just as perfect as what is seen on your pictures?

2) If quality on the Photon is that good, and generation loss is something to avoid, why don't you just make a 3D negative of the 3D model on software, which would be equivalent to a mold, then print that mold, and save one step and one generation? Is it because the resin won't stand the casting procedure, or many repetitions thereof? If that is not the reason, I don't think money or time would be: you can do the 3D negative so that it doesn't need lots of resin.

Anyway, your setup sure looks awesome, and its performance is evident by the proofs you show. Go ahead buddy.

Astonishing....... I really envy you for being such a pro....!

Thanks,
m.

No, I printed those "almost" perfect parts on the Mega which is great for hard surface models / parts, with a little post processing to achieve the high enough quality:
Image 11.jpg

Image 06.jpg

1) Flat parts are fine as long as they are orientated correctly, unlike the Mega the Photon doesn’t like having parts printed flat on the build plate:

Image 110.jpg

Image 111.jpg

2) Possible if injection or vacuum moulding but not practical for my needs at the moment, plus size is the limiting factor as it only has a small print volume.

A quick update with where I am with this build.
I finally have most of the parts to start building the new bigger v2.0 roto-caster.
I've also completed the smaller 3d modelled parts ready for printing on my new resin 3d printer, which is now setup and ready to go.

I also decided to make the moulds from solid rubber rather than a thin rubber inner encapsulated in a hard jacket, the method I'm using lasts way longer and retains far more detail......the only down side is, its expensive and heavy, but we're all about quality not quantity :wink1:

We have some incredible & iconic Star Wars builds & collaborations planned for the upcoming Months so this will come in very handy for those.

Jas

Morning chaps, sorry for the lack of updates been super busy in the background.
I've been tweaking quite a few little bits behind the scenes to make sure they're perfect before production as if its not perfect it doesn't get shipped, plus you don't know who's lurking :lurking :wink1:

I plan on having the first batch over to Pete mid June and get the rest to him in manageable numbers (5 at a time)

New and improved steering stock is complete and printed on my new super dooper 3d resin printer
Image 112.jpg

The old one was printed on my old 3d printer and was a bit rough
Image 113.jpg

This is also a good look at 3PO's "leg hole" loads of room :yess:
Image 114.jpg

It's not the Landspeeder but another 1/6th scale vehicle I've been commissioned to do for SDCC (been sworn to secrecy by the well known action figure company) don't wish to blow my own trumpet but ....dang it's looking really good and I am so making myself one.

These are probably the only part I can show and are the LED lights
Printed on my new printer the quality is just mind blowing
Lights.jpg

Thanks for the update Jas!

Can't wait to (finally) hear what these secret projects are you guys have been up to!

It's not the Landspeeder but another 1/6th scale vehicle I've been commissioned to do for SDCC (been sworn to secrecy by the well known action figure company) don't wish to blow my own trumpet but ....dang it's looking really good and I am so making myself one.

View attachment 454673

Can't wait to hear - are those pieces from the vehicle itself or are they just display lights that illuminate the vehcile?

No, I printed those "almost" perfect parts on the Mega which is great for hard surface models / parts, with a little post processing to achieve the high enough quality:
View attachment 452938

View attachment 452939

1) Flat parts are fine as long as they are orientated correctly, unlike the Mega the Photon doesn’t like having parts printed flat on the build plate:

View attachment 452936

View attachment 452937

2) Possible if injection or vacuum moulding but not practical for my needs at the moment, plus size is the limiting factor as it only has a small print volume.

Amazing...
How do you go from the highly texturized black part, to the highly polished golden part...? It is some kind of magic... :)
Stereolithography renders perfectly smoth surfaces, but why can't they be horizontal? Why the need for those supports?

View attachment 454673

Is that action figure company from the USA, by chance? If they are, does your making a SW 1/6 vehicle for them mean they haven't given up on their SW 1/6 licence, like it has been speculated lately on these very boards?
:)

BTW those lights look terribly smooth! They were printed on the Photon right??
m.

Amazing...
How do you go from the highly texturized black part, to the highly polished golden part...? It is some kind of magic... :)
Stereolithography renders perfectly smoth surfaces, but why can't they be horizontal? Why the need for those supports?

Is that action figure company from the USA, by chance? If they are, does your making a SW 1/6 vehicle for them mean they haven't given up on their SW 1/6 licence, like it has been speculated lately on these very boards?
:)

BTW those lights look terribly smooth! They were printed on the Photon right??
m.

Not magic, just some very good quality primer. :gandalf
Have no idea why supports are needed for DLP, the software does most of this for you all I do is tweak any supports that may cause an issue when removed.

Only the steering column and the light were on my Photon the rest was on my mega.

Oh the other build isn't a SW vehicle :wink1:

Gordon's Alive! I think I know exactly what those parts are. Will be great to see your version taking shape. 1:6 will be cool and BIG! Can't wait for the reveal at SDCC! Excellent quality on your printed parts

View attachment 454673

Gordon's Alive! I think I know exactly what those parts are. Will be great to see your version taking shape. 1:6 will be cool and BIG! Can't wait for the reveal at SDCC! Excellent quality on your printed parts

Oh, that's right - another movie is having its 40th next year in addition to ESB.:horror I wonder if Greggo is in on this project.

Oh I get it now! That action figure company is based in the same country as Scratchbuilder! Gooooooood! That franchise deserves some love!
Go ahead, pathetic earthling!
m.

Not magic, just some very good quality primer. :gandalf
Have no idea why supports are needed for DLP, the software does most of this for you all I do is tweak any supports that may cause an issue when removed.

Only the steering column and the light were on my Photon the rest was on my mega.

Oh the other build isn't a SW vehicle :wink1:

Oh ok. I take it you prime with an airbrush? How could a thin layer of primer ever cover all those irregularities?
Thanks for the info!
m.

More busy progress behind the scenes this weekend chaps, new dash is more or less done just figuring out (something special) to finish it off, also working out something else special for the underside :yess:

Noticed yesterday whilst doing a dry fit of the new cockpit parts I need to tweak the steering stock dims as its a 1.5mm too small, I've also changed the way I build the seating to help Pete with paint job.

Just fine tuning left now then over to Pete's for him to work his magic.
Predicted end of June (ish) :hi5:

Jas

It would be great to get a top and side pic (as distortion-free as possible by zooming in a bit) of this with precise dimensions, even if it's PM'ed.

I made a paper template for my new Stuva cabinet (based on an earlier top view pic someone posted and put on the rough overall dims) but it seems like it's right on the edge as whether it will fit - like less than 1cm all the way around with it placed at 45 degrees. With the fit so tight, those rough overalls on the earlier pics aren't quite enough for me to figure this out.

I'd also like to know height on a side view pic as I'm hoping to have my Stuva have two vehicles one above the other which are both low to the ground.

It would be great to get a top and side pic (as distortion-free as possible by zooming in a bit) of this with precise dimensions, even if it's PM'ed.

I made a paper template for my new Stuva cabinet (based on an earlier top view pic someone posted and put on the rough overall dims) but it seems like it's right on the edge as whether it will fit - like less than 1cm all the way around with it placed at 45 degrees. With the fit so tight, those rough overalls on the earlier pics aren't quite enough for me to figure this out.

I'd also like to know height on a side view pic as I'm hoping to have my Stuva have two vehicles one above the other which are both low to the ground.

Hi Buddy

Have sent you a PM, :censored really sorry mate (et al), I'm very reluctant to post any dims of this build for the time being (for obvious reasons) :lurking

Jas

Just saw Big Chief Studios posted this. My black and white reference photos are coming in handy I see.

BCS-Flash-Gordon-Rocket-Cycle.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw Big Chief Studios posted this. Bit annoyed that the rare (and expensive) black and white reference photos that I sent to the modelmaker for use on my OWN project are also being used for the Big Chief Studios. Nobody asked if it was ok. Oh well. :dunno

[emoji35]

Back