1/6 Mal for Nathan Fillion Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentSurfer

Good Enough Never Is!
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal. Trevor Grove, Adam Hughes, and I want to put together a 1/6 Mal Reynolds figure for Nathan Fillion. Your read it right; for Nathan Fillion. Adam, the same guy that does all the Marvel illustrations Sideshow used to base statues, maquettes, and PFs on, is able to contact Nathan Fillion, and he and Trevor had this idea about a year ago, but didn't have the time.

So, now I'm calling all Browncoat Freaks to help us out. Trevor is sending me a Mal cast this week to be painted up for the figure. What we need from you guys is a body, and the perfect clothes and accessories. Donations are welcome, discounted prices on items are also appreciated, but even leads to the best of the best supplies (body/ clothes/ weapons) is very helpful.

What do you say?

Any help will be appreciated, and I'm willing to purchase all parts and a figure body. (Donations aren't necessary! I'll reimburse anyone if they have extra parts and so forth.) I just need the expertise that this group has shown time and again. You guys know how to make the perfect Mal, and hopefully we'll be able to make one that's just as nice to give to the Captain himself. SilentSurfer will undoubtedly do an incredible paintup.

Should be fun! Thanks folks,
Trev

Have you thought about doing a cast of the headsculpt in silicone? Some of the silicone heads I've seen look pretty fantastic.

The head and body aren't an issue, or the clothes probably, but for boots I wonder if it would be possible to have some made like Mal's actual boots. Or maybe get some clasps for the coat that are more accurate--Chad's coat is pretty good overall, but those clasps are really oversized.

Pretty cool project though

Oh I have DX joker gloves that I can donate since I went the Serenity route instead of Firefly. I have had an idea of how to make the perfect suspenders and this would be a great time to try it out.

the only thing that I can see being a problem is Mals boots. Since he actually wore them for a good while I think they would have to be dead on. Trev, is there anyway you could sculpt them so they could fit on the body you have? just an idea.

I think some Jedi boots might work with a bit of sculpting.

mals_boots.jpg

Which body do you want? Narrow shoulder or original. I'll be happy to supply the body and a Stevo rig with improved belt. Just PM me and let me know. Love this idea.

Old Grandpa

Have you thought about doing a cast of the headsculpt in silicone? Some of the silicone heads I've seen look pretty fantastic.

The head and body aren't an issue, or the clothes probably, but for boots I wonder if it would be possible to have some made like Mal's actual boots. Or maybe get some clasps for the coat that are more accurate--Chad's coat is pretty good overall, but those clasps are really oversized.

Pretty cool project though

Check my post's. I made a batch of small clasps for Mal's coat. They aren't screen accurate, but they are way closer then what comes with the coat. Let me know and I'll whip up a set. Let's do this thing.

Old Grandpa

Which body do you want? Narrow shoulder or original. I'll be happy to supply the body and a Stevo rig with improved belt. Just PM me and let me know. Love this idea.

Old Grandpa

I was thinking at least the Narrow shoulder. Would the Advanced Truetype be too buff for Mal? He's not a small guy judging by Dr. Horrible, but he's not a body builder either. My first instinct though would be to get one of the Royce/ Prince of Persia bodies so that the figure could be displayed without the coat as well. I could easily mod the neck like I did for this Ash custom.
FittedHeadProfile.jpg

Check my post's. I made a batch of small clasps for Mal's coat. They aren't screen accurate, but they are way closer then what comes with the coat. Let me know and I'll whip up a set. Let's do this thing.

Old Grandpa

Can you post pics of the clasps in here. It would be nice to see pics of all the parts we want to pic and choose from in one thread.

I think some Jedi boots might work with a bit of sculpting.

mals_boots.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see this piece be beyond a bash and be more of a scale prop replica. I want Nathan to look at it, and be in awe of how accurate it is. He wore the costume, so if anybody should be impressed with the figure, we want it to be him.

The boots should be accurate. If Trev doesn't have time to do a full sculpt, I can try to do a mod sculpt.

I think an advanced would be just fine. its got sculpted fore arms so you could roll up the sleeves. I think the royce body might be overkill.

Personally, I'd like to see this piece be beyond a bash and be more of a scale prop replica. I want Nathan to look at it, and be in awe of how accurate it is. He wore the costume, so if anybody should be impressed with the figure, we want it to be him.

The boots should be accurate. If Trev doesn't have time to do a full sculpt, I can try to do a mod sculpt.

very true. I was thinking that Jedi boots might be a good starting point. he's gonna know every little detail about that costume so we might as well get it dead on for him.

I think an advanced would be just fine. its got sculpted fore arms so you could roll up the sleeves. I think the royce body might be overkill.

You're probably right about Royce. As long as the Advanced has sculpted forearms I could paint them and hands to look more alive as well. And I won't have to alter Trev's sculpt at all. That's a big plus.

also a good thing! I have leads on pants and a shirt (both would need work) if we wanted to start this soon.

I can start making a jacket right away if you want. I was thinking of trying to make a hot toys quality jacket with lining and everything. might be tricky but I am willing to attempt it. I can start it and if you decide to go with Chads then that is no problem!

We can do modified boots. I've sculpted many a boot in my day. :) I'm not the best there is, but I can sculpt some. The one thing I can't do is cast them hollow or in a plastic that's reliably soft. The lower leg would most likely need to be cut and modified so that the boot could be plugged on.

Thanks all! I knew you guys would be willing to help, and I appreciate it. We'll have to start making a list of the parts that are needed and who can fulfill getting those parts together. Just to keep things organized so everyone knows what's needed.

Thanks folks! Should be fun.
Trev

resin boots could be drilled, the interior sanded thinly and HT foot peg connectors inserted with minimum adjustment to the actual leg I think.

Back