1/6 Kyrr Geron (Mandalorian) Custom Figure (FIRST UPDATE IN 5 MONTHS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Kyrr Geron (Mandalorian) Custom Figure

Hello again, everyone!

Nothing major, but I do have an update to share on our old Mando friend here.

These pictures are actually from yesterday, but I think my computer was running low on RAM, and decided that the Internet wouldn't work. So here they are, today.

Firstly, I cut up a handgun and an AK-47 (generally supplied by pm07 for that purpose - if you're still around, thanks man!) to make Kyrr Geron's blaster pistol. I'm not quite sure where I'm going with it yet, and haven't decided on a final design, but I'm trying things out.

Anyway, here's a pic of the guns in question before I Frankensteined them:

IMG_0563.jpg

Here's a pic of afterward:

IMG_0565.jpg

I also worked a little bit on my Mando helmet, filling some cracks with more sculpey and sculpting the left "ear." Here's a couple pics:

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

I know the ear's not perfect, I'll have to try to straigten it out before I bake it again.

I can't believe that I've been gone so long that HTML images no longer work here! I must've been gone a long time...

Anyway, you might also notice that these pictures are nicer than the ones I was taking before (if you remember what they look like.) This is due to my buying a new camera off good ol' eBay. It costs something like 6 times as much as my old one (brand new), and I got it used for about 2.5 times as much as my old one. It was a great deal, and I'm very satisfied with the quality.

I guess I'll have to go back and edit my old HTML images to the BBcode format, at some point.

I'm really stoked to see that SS is finally doing Boba Fett, I'll probably end up buying some parts from him off TA, when he comes out, to supplement this project. I think I'll keep plugging away at him from time to time though, until then.

Anyway, are you surprised I'm even still alive after all this time? :wink1:

Also, more importantly, what do you guys think of the helmet and blaster so far?

Re: 1/6 Kyrr Geron (Mandalorian) Custom Figure

Okee dokee, all my old HTML pics in this thread are now fixed! :yess:

I've got some more updates to post later today, but I'm still waiting for comments on the blaster and helmet as they are now... (^in the post above^)

Oh yeah, that's right! I've been gone for so long, I forgot how incredibly disinterested everyone is in posting in this thread. :wink1:

Last edited:
Hah, if it gets any emptier in this thread, I may have to start talking to myself. You wouldn't want that now, would you? :wink1:

Anyway, I've done some minor "work" on the blaster pistol. I found a tubular bit in the package of stuff pm07 sent me, and thought it looked nice on the side of the pistol, like so:

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

So does anyone have anything to say about it? Is it ok, or does it look a little silly?

I'd sort of like to know what other people's opinion is on how it looks, before I go and superglue everything together! This is my first attempt at creating a blaster...

Let me know what you think, please!

Looking good, but I think it needs some kind of a barrel. A simple solution is the tube from a ball point pen is the most handy resource around, otherwise you can cannibalize the barrel from another weapon.
I know how you feel about people not posting on threads. :1-1:

I just realized I used that exact same pistol for my Mando custom.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking about the barrel. I haven't found one that I liked yet (that I was willing to cannibalize, at least.) Although I might use a pen tube, as you suggested...

What if I just drilled a hole in the end of it? Do you think that'd work, or would an actual barrel be better?

Thanks for the sympathy, at times it seems like my threads, posts, comments, etc. are some of the most ignored on the Internet! :wink1:

Alrighty then, I managed to drill a hole in the right place with my Dremel. I'm still not sure on whether or not a barrel would be better... Although part of me likes the flat-ended look.

Here's some pics:

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Does the hole look okay for a barrel? I can't tell.

Ok, so next up we have some work I've been doing on the helmet all this time.

I essentially cut a square hole for the vent in the back of the helmet, as you can see here:

IMG_0609.jpg

I refined the earpiece a little:

IMG_0610.jpg

Next, I added a curved piece of index card (reinforced with superglue) to the inside of the vent hole, then covered it with Sculpey on the outside:

IMG_0616.jpg

After that, I made an attempt at sculpting the vent details:

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Is anyone reading this thread?... erm, I mean.. What does everyone think of the vent in the back? (My goodness that sounds dirty...)

Next up will be baking and sanding...

After sculpting the vent in the back of the helmet, I gave the whole thing a nice, solid baking in my garage-dwelling toaster oven.
When it was cool, I painted it a neutral-looking grey color to pick out the bumps and flaws:

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Some of the imperfections you see are from the paintbrush, but a lot is from the helmet itself. I then I hand-sanded most of it, and got the dome to be very, very smooth.
(I couldn't use the powersander yesterday, as it makes too much dust to be used inside... And the edge of a hurricane is blowing through at the moment.)

Here's pics of it as it is now:

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

I think it still needs some powersanding, but I can't get over how nice and smooth the dome feels!

I feel like this helmet is really coming along now. Next up after more sanding will be figuring out what to do about the right ear (with a moveable range-finder.) That might take a little while...

What does everyone think of the helmet so far?

Wow, that helmet is looking awesome! I can't believe it's handmade. Great job!

I really like the blaster pistol as well. It definitely has a "Star Wars" vibe to it.

I tried making a custom set of Mandalorian armor several years ago, but gave up. Your project is coming along nicely, I can't wait to see the finished project.

Coming along, Dude! One of the hardest parts of helmet-building is symmetry. I fight it to this day. I've learned that even stuff that looks top-notch and especially stuff that is 'screen-accurate' tends to get a bit cater-wallered. There is a lot to be said for battle-damage, paint schemes and clever photography angles, I suppose.
Keep it up!

Wow, that helmet is looking awesome! I can't believe it's handmade. Great job!

I really like the blaster pistol as well. It definitely has a "Star Wars" vibe to it.

I tried making a custom set of Mandalorian armor several years ago, but gave up. Your project is coming along nicely, I can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks Gregorbian!

I'm glad you like the helmet, I've been working on it for ages! If you could see it in person, it'd be more obvious it was handmade... It's a bit crooked in places! I try not to let it show so much in the pictures, though.

And I'm glad you think the blaster has that "Star Wars" feel, I thought of all the times an official Star Wars blaster has been made of cobbled-together guns from real life, and I thought of how the clone trooper blaster rifle was essentially an MG-34 with an upside Stormtrooper blaster on the end... So I put part of an upside-down AK-47 on the end of a handgun!

Did you ever post pics of your custom Mando anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing them, even if you never finished. Who knows, if you still have the pieces you might be able to finish it up one day.

And I can't wait to see this project finished, either! :wink1: But I think it'll probably take a while...

Coming along, Dude! One of the hardest parts of helmet-building is symmetry. I fight it to this day. I've learned that even stuff that looks top-notch and especially stuff that is 'screen-accurate' tends to get a bit cater-wallered. There is a lot to be said for battle-damage, paint schemes and clever photography angles, I suppose.
Keep it up!

Thanks Force28x! And symmetry is definitely tough... I started out with a perfectly symmetrical 3D computer model, turned directly into a paper model, and this helmet still isn't quite straight! :wink1:

I bet even the real props used in the movies aren't quite straight from all angles though, so I'm not terribly worried. And I think I'll definitely be using battle-damage and photography angles to minimize the crooked-ness.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it so far. :)

I actually painted the helmet grey again, then power-sanded it twice... I just haven't posted pics yet. I'll try to do that maybe later today or tomorrow...

One little trick I use is to put a piece of sandpaper in my hand and cup it. Then I put the part to be sanded in the cup and twist it. I have found that a great technique on smoothing out chunky domed parts.
Can't wait to see your progression.

Back