1/6 Kyrr Geron (Mandalorian) Custom Figure (FIRST UPDATE IN 5 MONTHS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Kyrr Geron Custom Figure

thrift stores are your best friend when trying to track down leather, certian types of cloth, etc. Sure your a bit limited on what you can get, but its by far cheaper half the time.

You wouldnt belive the stuff I get in second hand stores, material, figures, model kits and all kinds of crap (I wish someone would start donating their SS and Hot Toys collections :lol),not to mention all the vintage stuff me and my wife resell on eBay. Though here in Chicago there are chains of them and at least one second hand store every 1/4 mile in any direction. Actually the main leather for all the brown Weequay armor I have done came from a leather Jacket that cost me $1.80, so for some things I don't have to tack on huge material costs, besides that, it was the only leather I could find that looked right and even came a bit weathered. The best thing about getting materials at them is that you can get high end fabric from clothes that usually costs a fortune per yard if you can even get it locally.

Last edited:

You wouldnt belive the stuff I get in second hand stores, material, figures, model kits and all kinds of crap (I wish someone would start donating their SS and Hot Toys collections :lol),not to mention all the vintage stuff me and my wife resell on eBay. Though here in Chicago there are chains of them and at least one second hand store every 1/4 mile in any direction. Actually the main leather for all the brown Weequay armor I have done came from a leather Jacket that cost me $1.80, so for some things I don't have to tack on huge material costs, besides that, it was the only leather I could find that looked right and even came a bit weathered. The best thing about getting materials at them is that you can get high end fabric from clothes that usually costs a fortune per yard if you can even get it locally.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to find some second hand stores around where I live (know there's at least on or two around here... think one's a Salvation Army...)

I'm going to need some help from you Vivisect, need advice on making Kyrr a jumpsuit.

First off, I want to essentially reproduce the Hasbro Jango Fett jumpsuit/flightsuit with a few minor modifications (longer sleeves)... how would I go about making templates from it? If I trace the Hasbro suit exactly, it won't have enough extra room for when it gets stitched together right? How much of an overlap will I need? Should I trace the suit exactly and then make slightly enlarged copies and use those?

Secondly, would you reccomend using a white fabric and coloring it with dye and or paint, or should I search for a dark grey material?

I'll have to look back at some of the diagrams you PM'd me a while back, I think this may end up being the most difficult part to produce...

oh yes, and this jumpsuit has a collar, any advice on how I should go about making that part?

I'd ask you to make me a jumpsuit, but I know you're really busy, and I don't think I would be able to repay you sufficiently (with money or a trade)... plus I'm also trying to become more self-reliant, so if I ever do a second custom Mando I'll be able to do it myself once I learn enough....

A jumpsuit like jango's/boba's is made out of a bunch of pieces so tracing will not help to much, it you turn one inside out an look at the various pieces and measure every thing and draw it out it will come out better than trying to trace it. The overlap/ extra material you stitch together will be visible when you turn it inside out but have at least 1/4 inch, but more will make it easier and you can trim off a lot of it before turning it right side out.

For jumpsuits like those with a lot of detail that are fairly easy to get at various places it hardly worth it for me to even make my self something like that considering the work involved unless there was a big demand for them since you can pick one up on ebay and such for $5-10.

Heres one I found that not black or dark blue that could be recolored.
https://cgi.ebay.com/YA4-16-1-6-BBI...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414d690dd4
102_2155.jpg

I know its probably not perfect but took me 5 seconds to find that that one. To be completely honest a hasbro one should work just fine if you plan to have him wear gauntlets though since the sleeves length isn't as big of an issue then.

For color white is good because you can dye it any color you want and you can worry more about finding a material you like instead of color. Just make sure you use something thats mostly or 100% cotton or dying it well might be a hassle.

From the sound of the jumpsuit the military ones seem the way to go. Plus you can typically find them pretty cheap or trade easily. One of the best bets might be checking out Justice Fighters(I think thats right). They typically have random lots of stuff for cheap and theres plenty of fodder in those lots they have on their site. Weapons, clothing, every now and then they have Hasbro Star Wars figures. Heck I think I might even have one kicking around, I'll look.

A 1/4 of an inch? That makes so much sense now. Typically I give it an 1/8th and it comes out a little too tight. You can kind of see what I mean by the pants I made for my celt that I posted in the military section. Now I'll know. LOL

Looking forward to the Mando, DP. I still need to read your story, I've been slacking. AH! What sort of boots do you plan on him having?

A 1/4 of an inch? That makes so much sense now. Typically I give it an 1/8th and it comes out a little too tight. You can kind of see what I mean by the pants I made for my celt that I posted in the military section. Now I'll know. LOL

Yea, always leave more than you need because you can always trim the extra off, and you also have a better chance of saving something if you screw up and have to pull the stitches and do part of it over.

A jumpsuit like jango's/boba's is made out of a bunch of pieces so tracing will not help to much, it you turn one inside out an look at the various pieces and measure every thing and draw it out it will come out better than trying to trace it. The overlap/ extra material you stitch together will be visible when you turn it inside out but have at least 1/4 inch, but more will make it easier and you can trim off a lot of it before turning it right side out.

For jumpsuits like those with a lot of detail that are fairly easy to get at various places it hardly worth it for me to even make my self something like that considering the work involved unless there was a big demand for them since you can pick one up on ebay and such for $5-10.

Heres one I found that not black or dark blue that could be recolored.
https://cgi.ebay.com/YA4-16-1-6-BBI...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414d690dd4
102_2155.jpg

I know its probably not perfect but took me 5 seconds to find that that one. To be completely honest a hasbro one should work just fine if you plan to have him wear gauntlets though since the sleeves length isn't as big of an issue then.

For color white is good because you can dye it any color you want and you can worry more about finding a material you like instead of color. Just make sure you use something thats mostly or 100% cotton or dying it well might be a hassle.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure of what materials are used for most of the jumpsuits I find, so I don't know if they can be recolored that easily.

As for the jumpsuit having many pieces, not really in the case of Hasbro Jango. There's no flaps or pockets or pouches, it's just a plain jumpsuit with an extra sleeve that only goes halfway down.

I can't find a plain jumpsuit like that very easily, too many pouches and things I don't want on most of them... plus, unless I get two of the same one, or I am miraculously able to find a perfectly matching fabric for the color and material the jumpsuit is made out of, it'd be extremely difficult to make that extra sleeve.

I really want to be able to make the jumpsuit myself, and besides, I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to spend $10-$20 bucks on a jumpsuit (or else I would've just bought another Hasbro Fett and repainted the armor! :D)... I'd rather save my cash for things that are impossible to make by hand (like bodies, or SS clonetroopers!)

From the sound of the jumpsuit the military ones seem the way to go. Plus you can typically find them pretty cheap or trade easily. One of the best bets might be checking out Justice Fighters(I think thats right). They typically have random lots of stuff for cheap and theres plenty of fodder in those lots they have on their site. Weapons, clothing, every now and then they have Hasbro Star Wars figures. Heck I think I might even have one kicking around, I'll look.

Looking forward to the Mando, DP. I still need to read your story, I've been slacking. AH! What sort of boots do you plan on him having?

I don't know about the boots yet... might pick up some cheap rubbery army boots or something and resculpt the area with laces into being smooth or something...

I was also thinking, maybe I could take a rubber boot, cut off everything above the ankle, and replace it with a circle of leather, maybe cover the rest of the original boot with leather to match...

Or I might not add the leather and he might just wear short boots...

I hope you get to read my story soon, there's already 3 parts! I believe it should take you a good 20 minutes from start to finish so far... the first chapter takes at least 10...

Dude,

If you want a green flightsuit, I have an extra Dragon produced one lieing around somewhere. PM me with an address and I will get it in the mail to you.

Dude,

If you want a green flightsuit, I have an extra Dragon produced one lieing around somewhere. PM me with an address and I will get it in the mail to you.

That's very kind of you to offer, but no thank you.

I do want to become more self-reliant, and I'm not sure if re-coloring a green flightsuit would work.... as it needs to be a dark grey-ish sort of color. Also that brings up the issue of the secondary sleeves again, which don't usually come on flightsuits and would have to be added by hand... in which case they may not match the original very well...

Thanks very much for offering though! :D

quick update on this figure so far.

I have started sculpting on the head, but it's pretty early on... it's still in the "featureless blob" phase... :lol

So it's not worth pics just yet... when I have time if I can make some progress I'll post it here...

EDIT:

I did make some progress on the HS, pics in a few minutes...

EDIT 2:

Can't find my camera! :eek: Pics will be posted as soon as I find it...

EDIT 3:

Still haven't found my camera... oh well, the sculpt is absolute crap anyway... don't think it's salvageable... :dunno

EDIT 4:

OK, I fixed the sculpt up big time, and found my camera! :yess:

Unfortunately, it's dead... :gah:

I'll try to post pics tomorrow, when there's some better daylight!

Wow, this thread sure is dead! But now, just like the zombies we are all reminded of during this halloween time, the dead shall come back to life!

Hopefully, anyway.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not some sort of ADHD gold-fish brain who can't stick with a project for more than a few weeks. The problem is, I have so many other projects that when new ones pop up, sometimes the old ones are set aside for a while.

I was so inspired by Dorg's revival of his X-Wing project, that I started thinking about all the old projects I started and never finished. This one was the first to come to mind.

The headsculpt is now as finished as it will ever be, except for the hair, which I have yet to add. There's just one problem: he looks like he's fifty-five, not thirty-five. So I'm thinking that I might use the head for a custom Kal Skirata at some point. (but I'm still doing a Kyrr Geron figure for now, Skirata is a maybe for sometime later)

But anyway, I decided to focus on the armor again for a while.

Here's what happened with trying to recast some of hasbro's gauntlets:

I molded the gauntlets with the last of my silicone rubber, only to find it hadn't cured right.

I tried to use the mold anyway, but due to my laziness and the scarcity of silicone, I only made a one-piece mold, when it should have had at least two, if not three pieces to it.

The cast came out terrible, as there are very thin places, and overly thick places inside. I'd have to drill the thick places through to make it a wearable gauntlet, and there's a terrible sort of blobby shape stuck to one end that would have to be trimmed away somehow (it's from where I put clay to support the gauntlet and keep it upright in the mold.) I don't think my dremel with its current attachments could trim it away, so I don't know what to do about the gauntlets at the moment.
So no gauntlets for now.

Then I started thinking about the helmet. I couldn't figure out how to create a sufficient mold for it, and I didn't have any silicone left anyway. (I seem to have bought every last drop of it from local hobby stores, as each has told me that "this is the last one they have," and they haven't gotten any more in stock since then)

So, I decided I'd take another approach to making the Mandalorian helmet. It's a paper mache technique I already tested on a Nazi helmet I tried to make for a Nazi-zombie custom. (what's more evil than a Nazi zombie right?)

Anyway, here's the process:

1. I use my 3D graphics program to model it

2. I use Pepakura Designer to unwrap the 3D model so I can print it out flat

3. I print it on cardstock paper and assemble it

4. I add several coats of spraypaint

5. I smooth things out with Mighty Putty and sand it down

6. I give it a final layer or two of paint

The results were pretty good with the test helmet, so now I 'm trying to do the sane thing with a Mandalortan helmet.

Right now, I'm in the 3D modeling phase. Here's the picture I used as a reference:

Jango1v2.jpg

Just kidding, this is the REAL picture:

Jango1.jpg

The first one actually has my model helmet in it over the real one. Here's a pic of the model, pretty much plain:

JangoHelm.jpg

I played around with it a bit and repositioned Jango's head a bit. Sometimes I just get carried away! :lol

Jango1v2v2.jpg

Jango1v2v3.jpg

Next I'll be adjusting the helmet's dimensions so that

a) it's sure to fit on a head and

b) the helmet will be as accurate as possible (I don't trust my Hasbro helmet you see!)

after it's all fixed up nice and accurate, I'll simplify some of the details so I can print it out flat. Should turn out nice if it's anything like my Nazi zombie helmet!

So guys, tell me what you think (of my idea, of the model, etc)

Oh, and I did stop writing my fan fic about Kyrr Geron for a while, because I wrote the same chapter over twice, and both times everything got completely obliterated by my computer's "update" addiction! It just can't get enough updates can it? :slap

but I WILL be attempting yet a third unnecessary re-write sometime soon.

Great to see you round here again Dude, look forward to reading more of your work too!

Great to be back, bid. Other projects have demanded my attention recently... Including working on concept art for a Star Wars fanfilm (I was personally asked to do it by someone who saw an animation I did on YouTube). There have been numerous other things that I've also been trying to work on just for myself as well, so I sort of drifted away from SSF for a while.

Anyway, back to my custom figure!

I've been fideling with the helmet, trying to improve it. It seem mostly right, but somehow it also seems kind of "off." Here's a spin-around of it (with Jango's colors slapped on):

JangoHeadRotation2.gif

So does anyone else think there's something wrong with it? I know the details aren't there, but I'm mostly worried about the over-all basic shape.

EDIT:

Just realized that the GIF up there is a bit stretched out, it's wider than the original version of the GIF, before I uploaded it to Photobucket. So here are some regular pictures instead:

MandoHelm1.jpg

MandoHelm2.jpg

MandoHelm3.jpg

MandoHelm4.jpg

Last edited:

Good to see you back and getting stuck straight back in. Thats what I like to see and its looking grand

I got alot of admiration for you guys that can do this sought of thing with computers, looks great keep up the amazing work.

Ron

Last edited:

Good to see you back and getting stuck straight back in. Thats what I like to see and its looking grand

I got alot of admiration for you guys that can do this of thing with computers, looks great keep up the amazing work.

Ron

Thanks very much for the compliments guys!

And Dorgs, you're the one who inspired me to finish up old projects with your fantastic X-Wing (which, by the way, when I saw it, caused me to make such a terrible mess that I fear I shall never be clean again! :lol)

Anyway, I worked on the helmet model some more, and got sidetracked and started working on a template for the flak-vest. Unfortunately, I'm very short on time now, so piccies will have to wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to unwrap the helmet model so I can print it out flat and start putting it together... :mwaha Phase I of my evil plan is almost complete!

Thanks for the support guys. :)

Re: 1/6 Kyrr Geron (Mandalorian) Custom Figure

I changed the title of this thread slightly, because "Kyrr Geron" doesn't mean much anyone who doesn't already know who he is, but "Mandalorian" does.

Just thought I'd post an update - I put the helmet on hold for a while, so I can come back and look at it again with fresh eyes later (see, I kept modifying the helmet model because I always thought it needed to be better)

so anyway, instead I started work on the coveralls/jumpsuit and the flak vest. I made templates out of paper for both. I actually sewed up a test jumpsuit using a borrowed sewing machine and fabric from an old t-shirt.

It was terrible.

The legs, which, by all calculations and meaurements, should have been just like the legs from the Hasbro Jango Fett suit, were WAY too skinny to actually fit on any body I have.

Then I looked back at some old charts Vivisect sent me a while back for a different project (those are still very helpful! Thanks again, Viv! :) ) and realized I was supposed to sew the sleeves on long before the legs/pants part got sewn together. :slap

on top of all that, I actually misplaced the entire jumpsuit template I made, which is probably just as well since I need to start over from scratch again anyway...

I would've posted pictures... I actually took some pics, and uploaded them to my computer! But apparently my Internet security is suddenly now expired, and it says it's not safe to use the internet until I renew my subscription... So just to play it safe, I'm not using the Internet on my computer for a while and had to type this post fom my iPhone.

:cuss Stupid Norton Internet Security!

Anyway, I'm thinking I might go back to trying to work on the helmet now... :lol

Then I looked back at some old charts Vivisect sent me a while back for a different project (those are still very helpful! Thanks again, Viv! :) )

No problem. :)

I would've posted pictures... I actually took some pics, and uploaded them to my computer! But apparently my Internet security is suddenly now expired, and it says it's not safe to use the internet until I renew my subscription... So just to play it safe, I'm not using the Internet on my computer for a while and had to type this post fom my iPhone.

:cuss Stupid Norton Internet Security!

Well coming here wouldn't hurt anything, Just stay away from those porn sites. :lol

Anyhow, I have just used the free version of AVG for many years, and the 3 times something did get through, it was some new nasty thing that no anti virus blocked at first for the most part. Then when I cleaned it up I just use Malwarebytes antimalware to clean it up which is also free, but doesn't run in the back ground. I do run a key scrambler though.

Back