1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's Arnie Kim's custom sculpt from a few years ago. Looks like a modded cast.

It looks like a poor recast of a poor recast - it's rough, like it was modified with a hammer. There's a likeness to be sure, but there's just so much work left to do to be able to give it a really great paint up and have it actually look realistic.

Looks a bit crude to me, a step above a Hero Head, but no more than that. From prototype to final cast I'd say that Trev's still cuts it in terms of what you eventually get. It only truly comes out when you strip it, but when you do you really get to appreciate what he did.

It looks like a poor recast of a poor recast - it's rough, like it was modified with a hammer. There's a likeness to be sure, but there's just so much work left to do to be able to give it a really great paint up and have it actually look realistic.

Yeah it's a bit of a nasty-ass-recast and he hasn't even bothered to clean it up before painting. Most of his other heads look like bad recasts too. I thought it might have been Arnie Kim as it is close (but way way better) than his later HT version.

Clean version here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...Hot-Toys-Superman-(1978-film-version)/page241

Trevors head is still No. 1, even though a little oversized. However Arnies head seems to capture something Trevors doesn't and visa versa.

Yeah it's a bit of a nasty-ass-recast and he hasn't even bothered to clean it up before painting. Most of his other heads look like bad recasts too. I thought it might have been Arnie Kim as it is close (but way way better) than his later HT version.

Clean version here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...Hot-Toys-Superman-(1978-film-version)/page241

Trevors head is still No. 1, even though a little oversized. However Arnies head seems to capture something Trevors doesn't and visa versa.

That's mine. Well, if Les Walker will ever return it. Paid him $80.00 to paint it back in 2008.

It's a much better sculpt than the one Hot Toys released.

I do get the feeling that Trev may have made the originals that bit larger to account for eventual mould shrinkage, only Indy didn't shrink quite as much. If you look at Iminime heads, they shrank too much as did the WGP Indy. There's a fine line there.

That's mine. Well, if Les Walker will ever return it. Paid him $80.00 to paint it back in 2008.

It's a much better sculpt than the one Hot Toys released.

Whats the story with this Les Walker? Sounds familiar. Yeah that sucks, especially considering how rare a good cast must be. I don't think I could send a unique item off to someone overseas without making a local copy of it first for insurance.

Has anyone attempted to shrink cast Trevors head like the premium format one? God knows how they shrunk that so small. I always thought they scanned it in digitally and then 3d printed out.

Les was an amazing painter, but got in over his head, and eventually walked away with peoples money and heads.

That's probably the quickest way to explain it.

Yeah,

There's the common problem. A guy has talent, shows off his work, everyone loves it, they want him to paint for them, he takes commissions. He then gets too popular, the commissions pile up and the poor guy can't cope.

If you're good, be careful! The best thing talented guys can do is teach others their skills.

If someone can't cope and doesn't want to continue commissions, there's a quick solution for that - refund the payments and send an apology. Don't spend what you haven't earned.

Yeah,

There's the common problem. A guy has talent, shows off his work, everyone loves it, they want him to paint for them, he takes commissions. He then gets too popular, the commissions pile up and the poor guy can't cope.

If you're good, be careful! The best thing talented guys can do is teach others their skills.
Ive heard of this happening and thats why I only collect payment when im done. That way im motivated to finish and your not out any money while you wait.

That's a very good approach and definitely one to respect. Most don't realise they're in over their heads until it's already too late.

Both Rahmier and Darren Carnall post on FB regularly (I'm sure others do too, but I don't follow them.), this gives them the opportunity to stay on our radar and we can offer encouragement if things get tough. If posts go quiet then we know something is up and we can give them a heads up and a possible lifeline if one is ever needed.

This is a great way to work and others should follow suit if they don't already

Back