1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: JYN ERSO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you're selectively quoting while sprinkling with a large dose of your own spin but I get it :wink1:

Wonder how Saw goes in the one legged race with that other badest of the bad, rules with an Iron Fist, Jabba? If the emperor joins the race does he use a zimmer frame or does he cheat and use the force?

Jabba and the Emperor don't live the life of the on-the-run insurgent in a hideout just outside an active warzone - every waking minute with the real risk of a huge Imperial attack, and the potential need to flee in seconds. So really not a comparison at all, right?

I mean... logically.

And sprinkling quotes with a large dose of patently obvious logic and facts ain't "spin," bro.

But keep up the party line - Disney Marketing's Twitter might just anoint you some day for your brand loyalty.:wink1:

Right... no passion around here when it comes to Star Wars. Nope.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

No, simply put - just because the geek flunky hired by the Team Disney suits makes up something on the spot to cover their oversight... doesn't make it fact, especially if it doesn't make logical sense.

Someone asked LFL/Disney a VERY logical question (yup, I'm not alone in questioning this.) The info Erso needs to convey to the rebels is really quite simple - Dodonna explains it in the ANH briefing in about 30 seconds. So why didn't Erso just say it in the hologram? The logical answer is "because we wouldn't have a movie" but LFL of course took the "these aren't the droids you're looking for" approach.:lol

So let me get this Twitter revelation straight:

Senior DS engineer spends years designing/building flaw in DS reactor core so Rebels can blow it up, BUT (despite being one of the most senior DS engineers, and working on it, and his sabotage plan, for years) has NO IDEA about an exhaust port/shaft that would lead a Rebel torpedo - straight-line - the entire thousand miles all the way DIRECTLY to the reactor core?

Right... :slap:rotfl

Geek flunky? Do you even know who Pablo Hidalgo is? You reference the cross sections book in a later post. I assume you mean the rogue one visual guide? Why don't you check the byline for that book? Spoiler alert: it's your supposed geek flunky. Funny how you even cite Wookiepedia as a source and then unironically disparage Pablo. Stop embarrassing yourself, dude. The supposed "Twitter revelation" is fact, "plain and simple". It makes sense in the context of the movie. What's the issue?

It even makes sense even if you entertain the faulty notion that Galen knows about the port. He's no military strategist. Look at the rebels' strategy in IV at face value. They are sending a couple squadrons of snubfighters to attack a tiny ass port that is well defended by turbolasers (yes those turbolasers are ineffective against starfighters but how would Galen know that?) and thousands of TIE fighters. It would require a one in a million shot that, if failed, would give away the fatal flaw that Galen put in place (the Imperials actually figure this out in the middle of the battle). So obvious right?

Don't worry - another Team Disney geek flunky "clarification" is incoming...:lecture

Discussed several pages back. Leia's soldiers see Vader witnessing the data card being passed through door (so Vader knows its now aboard her ship - he saw it.) So Leia knows Vader that knows it's aboard... and Vader must know she knows that he knows. :lol

In short - Vader knows that it's aboard, and Leia knows that he knows. And if the audience has just seen RO - they know both of these things too.

So the ANH dialog (taking place only a few hours after the RO getaway) now plays like a weird smirking joust between old lovers - and, given that the audience has just seen RO and knows everything as well, also a bit of a waste of screen time.

Oh, he does. He just doesn't believe in the power of Disney Marketing... and its effect on weak minds.:wink1:

On the Leia-Vader point, did you even watch the first few minutes of ANH? The conversation was always a farce. The movie LITERALLY OPENS UP with Leia's ship firing on Vader's star destroyer. Rebel troops then have a shoot out with the 501st. Even in '77, the intent was for that conversation to be kind of a joke. Leia was caught, her troops slaughtered, all she had left was to play the diplomatic immunity card (which worked for a little bit until the Senate was disbanded), and claim ignorance. It makes sense back then and makes sense now w/ the context of RO.

Maybe instead of looking for "plotholes", you can actually pay attention and enjoy the stinkin' kid's movie about space wizards and funny robots.

Geek flunky? Do you even know who Pablo Hidalgo is? You reference the cross sections book in a later post. I assume you mean the rogue one visual guide? Why don't you check the byline for that book? Spoiler alert: it's your supposed geek flunky. Funny how you even cite Wookiepedia as a source and then unironically disparage Pablo. Stop embarrassing yourself, dude. The supposed "Twitter revelation" is fact, "plain and simple". It makes sense in the context of the movie. What's the issue?

Yes, geek flunky. I only cite those junk EU sources because it's the garbage gospel that you guys love to cite - so I turned it around to show you were wrong, even based on your own sources.

3/4 of those "cross sections" type books and Wookiepedia is just fan-authored EU fiction, except by fans paid by Disney/LFL suits. The point is, they aren't created by the artists who created the movies - they are corporate paid to expand the "fan experience" and brand. And that kind of retconning is the reason we keep seeing "cute" undersized 1/6 R2's and ginormous "imposing and villainous" oversized 1/6 Vaders.

It even makes sense even if you entertain the faulty notion that Galen knows about the port. He's no military strategist. Look at the rebels' strategy in IV at face value. They are sending a couple squadrons of snubfighters to attack a tiny ass port that is well defended by turbolasers (yes those turbolasers are ineffective against starfighters but how would Galen know that?) and thousands of TIE fighters. It would require a one in a million shot that, if failed, would give away the fatal flaw that Galen put in place (the Imperials actually figure this out in the middle of the battle). So obvious right? .

It's mostly an engineering problem though, not a military one. I mean an attack is an attack, but the KEY question is how a torpedo can make it all the way to the compromised reactor core, right? And there just so happens to be a thousand mile shaft that leads straight-line from a surface-level port direct to the reactor - but no... Galen can't be expected to know about that (or have any desire to know about that,) despite being a lead scientist working on part of the Death Star for years, and planning his sabotage all that time, and hoping to alert the Rebellion as to how best to exploit his designed weakness.

Everything you say is dependent on the absurd notion that a senior Imperial scientist who is planning sabotage for years "knows nothing" and wishes to know nothing about the defenses that the Rebels would need to get through to make his sabotage even work. It's like saying he's left the Fort Knox vault unlocked but totally ignores the whole rest of the surrounding high-security base he's worked in for YEARS - a base the attackers have no knowledge of, yet that they would need to penetrate. "Oh, they can figure that out...." Dude, you're the lead scientist who's worked on the key component of that base for years.:lol

Your evasion of right-in-front-of-your-face common sense is myopic fan enabling at its worst.:slap

On the Leia-Vader point, did you even watch the first few minutes of ANH? The conversation was always a farce. The movie LITERALLY OPENS UP with Leia's ship firing on Vader's star destroyer. Rebel troops then have a shoot out with the 501st. Even in '77, the intent was for that conversation to be kind of a joke. Leia was caught, her troops slaughtered, all she had left was to play the diplomatic immunity card (which worked for a little bit until the Senate was disbanded), and claim ignorance. It makes sense back then and makes sense now w/ the context of RO.

You misunderstand how much RO has totally changed the context of ANH's opening. And believe me, this discussion is going to happen a LOT as the RO Blu-Ray release approaches and people can literally watch the movies back-to back. This isn't just Freaks bickering - this is actually a pretty big deal.

So... in ANH, the Vader/Leia discussion is all about protocol and the law - a military pursuit/incursion that's against the law; law that is still in full effect (proven by the officer's "holding her is dangerous" concerns to Vader after Leia is questioned.) The Tantive fires on the SD and the Rebel soldiers fire at the stormtroopers because it's literally an illegal war action that's against the law. Vader has no right or legal basis to do it.

"Playing the diplomatic immunity card"? You don't seem to get it - Leia is absolutely correct in what she's saying. It's not some kind of last ditched "make something up" thing or " kind of a joke" - Vader IS breaking the law. But his point is that spying activity is going on under the auspices of diplomatic movements. Her point is that all Vader has to go on is his suspicions - and in ANH, all he does have is suspicions.

But... what occurs in RO changes everything drastically, because the discussion is now occurring in a HOT PURSUIT in the direct aftermath of a massive REBEL ATTACK on an Imperial DATA STORAGE facility where the whole point was obviously the theft of the DS plans. Think about that for a minute. Are we clear on how HUGE of a change that is?

This is why much of the ANH scene now makes no sense. Just hours earlier, the Rebels killed tens of thousands of Imperials, destroyed star destroyers and an entire Imperial Data Storage facility - in a battle where the WHOLE POINT was the DS PLANS. The DS plans data breach is very well known to both sides (it was the sole reason for the Rebel incursion/attack,) and the Rebels saw Vader at the Tantive's door as the disc was passed through, so Leia is more than aware Vader knows that the disc is aboard.

Even much of the ANH dialog is rendered non-sensical. Here's a sampling:

- Vader says "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel Spies..." but.... the transmission was beamed to a Rebel Frigate, not to "this (Tantive) ship" he's just boarded, and Vader himself saw a DATA DISC being passed through a doorway into the Tantive. Is he just a little mixed up?
- And "Where are those transmissions you intercepted?" he asks Antilles earlier. "Intercepted"? From whom exactly? NOTHING was intercepted. Data was beamed directly to a Rebel Frigate and then hand-carried into the Tantive - at no point do the Rebels "intercept" anyhing.
- And "you are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor..." - DUH, dude! You were both just at a massive Rebels Vs Empire battle a few hours earlier and you SAW her ship take the plans and blast away from a Rebel Frigate. And WE saw you see that. So yup - I THINK she might be "part of the Rebel Alliance."
- "I have traced the Rebel Spies to her..." really? Genius of the year award for you, Darth - you followed her DIRECTLY from a Rebel Frigate that was at a Rebel/Empire battle. Nice tracing!:lol

You see what I mean? There's so many of these "huh?" moments now - there's more I'm not listing.

And FYI, the "501st" is never mentioned in the movie, and does not appear in any deleted scene, not in '77 or ever, so it's an EU fan creation from the 1990's presumably based on (somewhat inappropriately) a real U.S. military unit and has been used to sell official SW merchandise and is also the name of a group of Imperial cosplayers at shows. So no - no shootout with the "501st" that I saw onscreen.

Maybe instead of looking for "plotholes", you can actually pay attention and enjoy the stinkin' kid's movie about space wizards and funny robots.

Just say it - "don't express an opinion that's different from mine, even if it's completely logical or fact-based." You see it on here all the time - when something reveals an issue in something the nerd-herd feels is sacrosanct, out come the "it's just a movie, dude!" or "get a life, geek" comments. This from SW obsessives who could rejoice in the minutiae of RO for a hundred pages in a nerd conference to end all nerd conferences. That's the truth, isn't it?

And your comment says what you can't actually say: That I have a point.

I would love to see the necklace included! Since it wasn't visible in the movie (as it was worn under her clothes), I'm not sure they'd think it necessary to include, though.

the KEY question is how a torpedo can make it all the way to the compromised reactor core, right? And there just so happens to be a thousand mile shaft that leads straight-line from a surface-level port direct to the reactor

The first Death Star is supposedly 100 miles in diameter, so it's unlikely there is a thousand mile shaft in it. At most, it could be fifty miles from the outside to dead centre. And even then, it's easy to imagine the reactor core being at least twenty miles wide, perhaps even larger, making the distance a torpedo would have to travel even smaller.
I'd guess there is some critical piece of equipment just under that port that, once hit, quickly renders the reactor unstable. No other explanation needed.

The first Death Star is supposedly 100 miles in diameter, so it's unlikely there is a thousand mile shaft in it. At most, it could be fifty miles from the outside to dead centre. And even then, it's easy to imagine the reactor core being at least twenty miles wide, perhaps even larger, making the distance a torpedo would have to travel even smaller.
I'd guess there is some critical piece of equipment just under that port that, once hit, quickly renders the reactor unstable. No other explanation needed.

You got me. I was guestimating.:lol And you're right - the distance the torpedo would have to travel would be no more than 100ft.

And your explanation means Galen's sabotage plan involved the exhaust port, and connecting Galen to exhaust ports is bad-bad-bad around here, AND on the official SW geek-flunky Twitter account.:lecture

Would be nice little accessory to have the necklace. Considering the crystals are one of the main subplots in the story.

The necklace accessory does seem like a pretty obvious one. Hmmm.

:rotfl

As for the Jyn figure (adult version...), I'm seriously considering just ordering the regular version. The rifle and extra clothing would most probably never be on display. But the collector in me is saying, just pay the extra $30+ bucks and get it anyway... :lol

Back