1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: JYN ERSO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's odd but I agree that for some reason on video it looks better as opposed to just the blogger pictures.

Photographs are taken and edited to suit the aesthetic tastes of the photographer. Angles, lighting, and editing are done to what looks best to the individual, which differs greatly from person to person. It's more controlled. You're seeing what the photographer wants you to see.

If I were taking photos of this figure, even if it's not a perfect sculpt, I would try to make it look as much like Felicity Jones/Jyn as possible because I like the character a lot. For others, this might not be the case. They're taking the best looking pictures they can of the subject in front of them without any other consideration.

These types of videos with neutral lighting and without any particular focus on angles or perspectives result in a less controlled view of the subject. You're shown what's there with less bias. Closer to what you might see if you were just looking at the figure. Not all videos of course. Just the ones where it's set up to look as neutral as possible.

That's not a catch all of course, but that accounts for why sometimes things look different, better, or worse in photos vs videos vs in person.

There seems to be a cycle with HT figures:

1. Figure announced - "OMG it looks so amazing, that prototype is just spot on, well done HT, a masterpiece!"
2. Shown at cons close to release - "Something seems off, I can't place it, but let's wait for the blogger photos upon release."
3. Figure released - "WTF is HT doing OMFG this company is a joke I hope they go out of business"
4. Early reviews/photos/videos - "That looks a lot better than the pictures I saw yesterday morning, I guess I'll wait and see mine when it arrives."
5. Figure in hand - "Holy crap, I love this figure and have always loved it since it was announced, well done HT, a masterpiece!"

We're at step three today. Should be getting into step four in the next week.

There's no mystery with this one though. We saw the prototype for this version, and then when the disguise version came out it was clear to everyone that it was slightly different (aside from the eyes being off to the side). At that time some folks preferred the original proto to the disguise.

Now the production piece has come out and we can see it's the same sculpt as the disguise version, and surprise surprise, the same people are expressing that they preferred the proto. Others liked the disguise version so this suits them just fine. I looked at the video and it looks like the disguise version with straight on eyes.

I rarely complain about sculpts. I just think this one is a tad off but it's not bad. I think maybe the hair is a shade too dark.

I don't disagree with you guys, the proto sculpt was my preference, and the final version seems a tad off.

In hand, I think we'll be happy with what we get. I don't think it's going to be like Tatooine Luke where you look at it and you just know something is wrong. Photography is weird. Lighting, angles, perspective, depth...it can all alter how you see the image being captured. Video captures things a little more at face value. When you look at the videos posted of the early unboxing, I really don't see a figure that I'll be unhappy with it because it's just wrong.

It's not the Doctor Strange/Yondu/Princess Leia/Bucky Barnes that's nothing short of an exact likeness. It's also not Luke/Han, where you wonder what the hell happened. Ultimately, this is akin to Hawkeye/Rey. You can nitpick about certain aspects of the sculpt, but you know who you're looking at.

Just my two cents. I see overreactions, but I guess I'll see for myself in a few weeks when Jyn gets here.

I don't disagree with you guys, the proto sculpt was my preference, and the final version seems a tad off.

In hand, I think we'll be happy with what we get. I don't think it's going to be like Tatooine Luke where you look at it and you just know something is wrong. Photography is weird. Lighting, angles, perspective, depth...it can all alter how you see the image being captured. Video captures things a little more at face value. When you look at the videos posted of the early unboxing, I really don't see a figure that I'll be unhappy with it because it's just wrong.

It's not the Doctor Strange/Yondu/Princess Leia/Bucky Barnes that's nothing short of an exact likeness. It's also not Luke/Han, where you wonder what the hell happened. Ultimately, this is akin to Hawkeye/Rey. You can nitpick about certain aspects of the sculpt, but you know who you're looking at.

Just my two cents. I see overreactions, but I guess I'll see for myself in a few weeks when Jyn gets here.

I found HT Rey's biggest fault was her lack of height and build. She was on the totally wrong body. Consequently, I saved 2 bills.

Looks like I may be spending that on Jyn... I prefer the disguise head (because of the eyes) but I'm not sure I can pass up on such a well-done figure overall as this Jyn deluxe. I didn't preorder so I'm hoping for a good deal on ebay.

Interesting that the Sideshow PF's for Jyn, Bespin Luke, Bespin Han, and Rey all look better than their HT counterparts.

a9003f7755a8c795e050732a452aa302.gif

Deanknight said he's getting the deluxe on Monday.. I bet he proves us wrong about how off the sculpt is off :lecture

Photographs are taken and edited to suit the aesthetic tastes of the photographer. Angles, lighting, and editing are done to what looks best to the individual, which differs greatly from person to person. It's more controlled. You're seeing what the photographer wants you to see.

If I were taking photos of this figure, even if it's not a perfect sculpt, I would try to make it look as much like Felicity Jones/Jyn as possible because I like the character a lot. For others, this might not be the case. They're taking the best looking pictures they can of the subject in front of them without any other consideration.

These types of videos with neutral lighting and without any particular focus on angles or perspectives result in a less controlled view of the subject. You're shown what's there with less bias. Closer to what you might see if you were just looking at the figure. Not all videos of course. Just the ones where it's set up to look as neutral as possible.

That's not a catch all of course, but that accounts for why sometimes things look different, better, or worse in photos vs videos vs in person.

Yeah it's clear in the blogger photos that they've amped up the contrast too much, making the paint around her eyes look a lot darker and heavier than it is. In the videos her eyes look a whole lot better and more natural.

Still though, while the eyes are better it still doesn't do enough to overcome the other issues. The eyes and lips don't look quite big enough, the hair is too dark, and more than anything it looks to me like her cheeks need to be a bit puffier.

Rogue-One-Star-Wars-Story-Lyra-Erso-Valene.jpg

Yes, I also found depending on the lighting angle and camera angle that's when there were points where she looked off. Also the hair definitely looked too dark. But we've had that before (I consider it the asian influence based on their lack of hair colour "grades"). Anyway with the right lighting, or simply using the hat and goggles pose that should be all fixed.

Hat and goggles looks great. So perhaps it is simply the hair, which in theory wouldn't be too hard to mod maybe ??

BTW Wor-Gar, the Raincape has wire for a windswept look !!! It just gets better and better

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 22.52.35.jpg

i wonder if the sculpt difference is a victim of mass production techniques, seems they wouldn't tweak it after the sculpt has been approved by licensors, right? waiting to get it in hand before i pass judgment.

Haha, good one Kuat !!

Typical cycle of events for figure release and reaction to photos. Someone made a list in another thread.

I'm really glad I've ordered her, each to their own.

Haha, good one Kuat !!

Typical cycle of events for figure release and reaction to photos. Someone made a list in another thread.

I'm really glad I've ordered her, each to their own.

:hi5:

Me too. Really looking forward to having her in the collection.

The only thing I could say is that her hair looks too dark in both the photos and videos. But that'll be a minor thing once on display.

I'll have one of them wearing the helmet. And If I feel brave I might give the hair a dry-brush with a lighter brown.

:hi5:

Me too. Really looking forward to having her in the collection.

The only thing I could say is that her hair looks too dark in both the photos and videos. But that'll be a minor thing once on display.

I'll have one of them wearing the helmet. And If I feel brave I might give the hair a dry-brush with a lighter brown.

Yes, I was thinking the same with the dry brush to the hair. But need to see in hand first. Maybe with normal light and to the naked eye it doesn't look so dark.

A little added tone shouldn't be too difficult, if needed at all.

HT is going to be a victim of setting it's own bar high: When you get sculpts like the Yondu one, this falls short.

When you see a likeness so good it's creepy, then that's the new standard.

Back