1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: ASSAULT TANK COMMANDER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: TANK COMMANDER

Of course it's about money but
look at real army.
For example German army at WW2 (I think we can say it was prototype of the Galactic Empire)
Half truck driver
self propelled artillery crew
tank crew (about 4 variants)
And drivers and crew in some elite division's have their own unique uniform
(plus winter and tropical variants)

Think is Wehrmacht was still a Wehrmacht no matter in which conditions they fight. Sooo yeah, merchandise decisions rule the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was Empire that started it all -- Snowtrooper. Plus a unique commander.

In ANH, Stormtroopers were stormtroopers -- with a pauldron and backpack for the desert and a different backpack for space. Basically the armor protected you from whatever conditions. But then Lucas made money on toys and suddenly regular armor wasn't enough to keep you warm in the snow.

Yeah, he kept all rights on merchandise and made ton of money. More than a movies for the studio. And that was the beginning.

We are fans of a license that pretty much invented the concept of licensing. We can't really complain about the concept being pushed to the limit by this same license :dunno

You can set a cut-off date.

1983 sounds good. Everything after that doesn't have to count.

It was Empire that started it all -- Snowtrooper. Plus a unique commander.

In ANH, Stormtroopers were stormtroopers -- with a pauldron and backpack for the desert and a different backpack for space. Basically the armor protected you from whatever conditions. But then Lucas made money on toys and suddenly regular armor wasn't enough to keep you warm in the snow.

... well, they could have just used a stormie with a few added bits as a TIE pilot, but they went with a trooper variant.

You can set a cut-off date.

1983 sounds good. Everything after that doesn't have to count.

In spite of some initial excitement (and I don't hate the film, issues aside) I ignore TFA figures. I've dabbled in the PT more than once (SHF only) because there are some good designs hiding in there, but ulimately keep coming back to the OT era and it's where I seem to be stuck.

Death troopers and K2SO are interesting, but I doubt I'll invest 1/6 money in any of it.

If it wasn't for speeder bikes I'd probably ignore ROTJ, too.

In spite of some initial excitement (and I don't hate the film, issues aside) I ignore TFA figures. I've dabbled in the PT more than once (SHF only) because there are some good designs hiding in there, but ulimately keep coming back to the OT era and it's where I seem to be stuck.

Death troopers and K2SO are interesting, but I doubt I'll invest 1/6 money in any of it.

I could subscribe to this... if HT would make more OT stuff. I start considering things like K-2SO because HT hasn't offered C-3PO instead.

I liked TFA apart from the trooper helmets (subliminal Donald Duck) and the death of Han (damn you Harrison Ford!)

But I don't feel a strong enough connection to it to invest any real feeling into it. Same goes for the PT, which I don't dislike as much I used too apart from Jar Jar and the awful bits of dialogue and delivery.

Rogue One is in the classic timeframe, but already it seems distant: a mass of new trooper designs who won't show up minutes later when SW begins, and that includes redesigning the basic armoured grunt.

But there are elements that might legitimately bolster an OT collection because they recall ideas already instilled in my mind from the EU novels and comics. Such as K-2SO as Wor mentioned, as I'm thinking of the war droids from The Lost Legacy - something the PT battle droids could never be with their silly comedic voices.

I could subscribe to this... if HT would make more OT stuff. I start considering things like K-2SO because HT hasn't offered C-3PO instead.

I'm pretty sure HT is on a tight leash for marching orders. Not based on anything I've read recently, but when they were working under the SSC license, which began and ended at the Luke DX, Howard had said that their releases would be based on his personal collecting wants and Anakin and Padme were high on his list as well as Han. Hes obviously not getting his wish list fulfilled anytime soon.

In that case AT-ST drivers, they would handle hover tank if they can handle mech. Just let's be honest here. Many variants are just silly and exist just for the sake of more merchandise.

AT-ST Drivers sit inside the AT-ST, the poor hovertank pilot needs some face and chest protection.

Take my money Disney the more designs the better!

I always assumed AT-AT Drivers drove the AT-ST's in The Empire Strikes Back.

The ATAT Drivers wore cold weather gear (ski bunny boots, gloves, rebreather) so yeah I guess it kind of makes sense they drove the ATST's on Hoth - which were actually a somewhat different design to the ROTJ versions anyway.

They wore the same jumpsuit as ATST drivers so maybe they are like the Stormie vs Snowie thing - same troopers with their outfits converted for the cold.

But to make things more complicated, the ATST drivers use repainted Snowie helmets.:lol

Both the Scout and Snow troopers had armorless thighs, just pants, not to mention all the OT pilots like people have mentioned. The Tank driver and the Shoretrooper designs don't seem too outrageous to me. I have a bigger issue with the name "shore trooper" than the design itself lol.

A George Lucas approved helmet! Will people now go off it? 😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They are called "AT-AT Drivers".... not AT-Anything Drivers.

Doesn't mean that they still couldn't have driven AT-ST's on Hoth.

The gear they wear makes perfect sense that they would have driven the AT-ST's aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back