1/6 Hot Toys - Robocop 3 - Robocop Collectible Figure.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very little on the body could be improved? Except for you know: The rubber parts, the clear joints, actual trigger hands for the gun to hold better.
Yeah, that's very little. While everyone is going to weigh an issue differently, you can go take a look at a TDK Batman or a Begins Batman to see what a figure that needs actual major improvements looks like. Cartoonish faceplates, poorly sculpted cowls, incorrect proportions, inaccurate armour. The DX19 release--which wasn't even the worst one--was so bad that they re-engineered the figure and suckered people into buying it again a year later.

overly shiny black sections,
I specifically called out the paintjob twice, so I don't know what else you want.

What kind of improvement are you looking for in particular? If you're trying to bring down the shine, then a dull clear coat will do just that.

If you're wanting to tone down the brightness of the silver, I believe a couple of light coats of clear black or clear smoke with an airbrush will get the job done.
I'm thinking it just needs dulled down a bit, at least for starters. It shines like a Christmas ornament. I've dull coated things that seemed to have ended up darker after the application or made them appear that way at least. I'm curious about this clear black though. I've never heard of it?? Appreciate it!

I'm thinking it just needs dulled down a bit, at least for starters. It shines like a Christmas ornament. I've dull coated things that seemed to have ended up darker after the application or made them appear that way at least. I'm curious about this clear black though. I've never heard of it?? Appreciate it!
You're right, some colors will tend to appear darker if a dull/matte clear coat is used on them. I'd be interested to see how it'll look if you decide to dull your figure a bit. On the other hand, Since Robocop's armour has a somewhat of a glossy finish, I'd use a clear black/smoke.

As for the clear black/smoke paint. There are quite a bit of options but I've used Tamiya and Mr color clear black along with Alclad clear smoke in the past(not on Robocop, at least not yet). They're basically really thin paints with little to no pigment. Almost like a wash. They're great if you're trying to add a tint of color to something.

On the other hand, Since Robocop's armour has a somewhat of a glossy finish, I'd use a clear black/smoke.

My plan was to dull coat then lightly buff with a tissue to bring back a little shine. Like dry brushing but with sealer. I was thinking that would get me to something looking closer to the armor in the movie. I may test the bottom of a foot in the next few days to see what it looks like. I can't help to think that the black bits would see some improvement as well by doing this.

Yeah I used smoke to darken the super bright red on my original diecast Mk3 a while ago, and it worked great. So I'm suspect it would work fine on Robo as well.

All dullcoat is going to do is just make it look like, well, a dull flat silver.
I'll look into smoke first before anything else.

Yeah I used smoke to darken the super bright red on my original diecast Mk3 a while ago, and it worked great. So I'm suspect it would work fine on Robo as well.

All dullcoat is going to do is just make it look like, well, a dull flat silver.
Might lose some of the purple and blue highlights, I would think?

What kind of improvement are you looking for in particular? If you're trying to bring down the shine, then a dull clear coat will do just that.

Edit: oops, I didn't see your other post stating you wanted to reduce the sheen.

If you're wanting to tone down the brightness of the silver, I believe a couple of light coats of clear black or clear smoke with an airbrush will get the job done.
And if you do it with acrylics and don't like it, a bit of Windex will simply see that paintjob disappear without damaging the underlying finish.

For those with experience, what do you use to tape up the areas you don't want to paint when airbrushing? Is there a risk of masking tape damaging the existing finish?

Also curious how to avoid that "caked on" appearance custom paint jobs sometimes get with less experienced painters.

I'm very tempted to invest in an airbrush to correct the glossy black parts.

For those with experience, what do you use to tape up the areas you don't want to paint when airbrushing? Is there a risk of masking tape damaging the existing finish?

Also curious how to avoid that "caked on" appearance custom paint jobs sometimes get with less experienced painters.

I'm very tempted to invest in an airbrush to correct the glossy black parts.
My go to for something like this would be Tamiya masking tape. Doesn't leave any adhesive residue after it's removed.

Well I caved and ordered this figure off Popcultcha before they ran out. The difference may be pretty minimal, but it does look like an improvement over my original version which I just know I'd never get around to repainting myself. Lol

Well I caved and ordered this figure off Popcultcha before they ran out. The difference may be pretty minimal, but it does look like an improvement over my original version which I just know I'd never get around to repainting myself. Lol
Same here. Didn't feel like waiting for my waitlist to convert with SS so I ordered from a trusted retailer I use as a last resort. Now that I think about it, I should go this route from now on since I don't get charged tax🤔... Anyway, I have the original Robocop but I still want this one for some reason. Once this one comes in, I won't mind attempting to repaint my original.

Same here. Didn't feel like waiting for my waitlist to convert with SS so I ordered from a trusted retailer I use as a last resort. Now that I think about it, I should go this route from now on since I don't get charged tax🤔... Anyway, I have the original Robocop but I still want this one for some reason. Once this one comes in, I won't mind attempting to repaint my original.
I feel pretty much the same to be honest. I'd feel a lot happier attempting a repaint if I had a spare pristine figure boxed away as a precaution. I could always sell the reserve at a later date.

Yeah, that's very little. While everyone is going to weigh an issue differently, you can go take a look at a TDK Batman . . . to see what a figure that needs actual major improvements looks like. Cartoonish faceplates, poorly sculpted cowls, incorrect proportions, inaccurate armour. The DX19 release--which wasn't even the worst one--was so bad that they re-engineered the figure and suckered people into buying it again a year later.

DX19 isn’t even a bad release. It’s got three very nice headsculpts, a nice cape and a good body. Nolan Batman fans are just fickle and obsessive compulsive nuts. There will never be a TDK Batman or a Ledger Joker that will please them.

Robocop could be a lot better. Atleast DX19 isn’t made out of cheap plastic and doesn’t have fragile joint sockets. The rubber parts, the clear joints, and actual trigger hands for the gun would have been HUGE updates. Instead, they once again phoned it in.

I'm so bored waiting for this to ship that I'll probably just leave it in the box and throw it in the closet for another 6 months after receiving it. The thrill is most definitely gone at this point.

I didn't get tracking# yet but I hope I can get shipping information soon.

Back