1/6 Hot Toys - POTC5 - Jack Sparrow Figure (Artisan Edition + Regular) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed out on it too. Dunno if I even got an e-mail and I blew it off.

Still, not as &^%$ as I might be. That's a big increase for all wool hair and a cloth bandana. Threw some points in and got the DX; put myself on the waitlist for the Artisan. (Like, I'm still wondering if I'm stupid for picking up artisan Scarlet Witch tho hafta say if you're gonna make the effort for at Artisan, IMO Jack Sparrow would be the one).

I own every version of HT Jack, to way back when the sculpt looked more like a cousin of Jack's. 😁
Used to think I'd upgrade the earlier sculpts. Now I think it's kinda interesting to see the progression. Think JS might have been my first HT. But, if they ever redid the original, I'd pick that up too.
I went on the waitlist as well I really hope mine gets converted. I’ve never had a Jack Sparrow but I figured the artisan would be the grail for a while. I’m debating if I should buy the deluxe for now as from a distance they both look really good but still prefer the artisan if mine converts.

I wouldn't say nothing like Depp for DX06, but certainly it's not on the level of DX15 serious or DX37-39 smirk.

If only the Cannibal smirk head looked as good as the prototype. The Cannibal face was actually THE best likeness for a long time, quite ahead of it's time for HT in those days.

For me, the DX15 smirk face just sucks all around, forget likeness, just the expression makes him look creepy, like he's about to do something inappropriate to someone.

Compared to that, DX06 with a perfect expression and questionable likeness was a better option. If I can get the new smirk head, I'll probably forever use that. I only swap between DX06 smirk and DX15 serious because sometime I want the better likeness vs the persona of the smirk.
While I don’t think the DX15 smirk is perfect, I do think it’s better in the likeness to Depp. I don’t think it’s creepy at all and have had on display for at least the last year. It comes off that way in photos but in hand, I like it a lot. It’s all in the eye position imo.

The DX06 might capture the character of Jack Sparrow but loses on the Depp likeness by a long shot. Looks much more like the actor who plays older Prince Aeomond on House of Dragon than Depp.

We could probably go round ‘n round about this :lol in the end, the good thing is that we all have options and choices for what we deem as the best for our personal collection and displays.

Last edited:
I still remember getting the first MMS Jack Sparrow. It came out at the same time as the Sideshow Farmboy Luke. I think Luke was $65 and Jack was $120. And Jack was just leagues away.

Jack was super tall and out of scale because of the plastic boots. The ankle joints pegged into the boots, so he was probably at least a half-inch too tall. But there was still so much detail packed into the headsculpt, compared to SSC. Even at double the price, Jack felt like a stellar figure.

Always liked the Cannibal Jack head sculpt and paint work
mms57-cannibal13.jpg
Wow, that's great. I wish Hot Toys got out of their element like they used to.

While I don’t think the DX15 smirk is perfect, I do think it’s better in the likeness to Depp. I don’t think it’s creepy at all and have had on display for at least the last year. It comes off that way in photos but in hand, I like it a lot. It’s all in the eye position imo.

The DX06 might capture the character of Jack Sparrow but loses on the Depp likeness by a long shot. Looks much more like the actor who plays older Prince Aeomond on House of Dragon than Depp.

We could probably go round ‘n round about this :lol in the end, the good thing is that we all have options and choices for what we deem as the best for our personal collection and displays.
I'm one of the weirdos who also thinks the DX06 never had that good of a likeness to Depp, at that time I even preferred the Medicom/Enterbay head to the DX06, it still wasn't perfect by any means but it looked more realistic to me, had a cloth bandana and what I believe to be the best 1/6 hat for Jack.

The DX06 faces look like Jack Sparrow sure, but more of a stylized, cartoony version, not that realistic.

I think the neutral face plate on this new Jack is very reminiscent of the DX06 for that reason, especially the lips, it's sort of a younger, stylized version of Jack Sparrow with less wrinkles.

So yeah I'm really glad I didn't cave in and pay like $600 or more than that for a second hand DX15, because while I think the serious sculpt on that is good and looks like Depp, it just doesn't capture Jack to me, he needs that trademark smile or grin and Hot Toys captured it perfectly with this new smiling face plate, it's unmistakably an older Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, not just Jack or Johnny.

Last edited:
I do somewhere have a old DX06 modded sculpt with teeth showing but wasn't great. Toying with the idea of finding someone to mod the DX15 smirk.

The DX06 is the preferred look but I'm super happy we got a artisan Jack! I'm seeing a lot of hate saying it's pointless, so to those collectors I say..... Enjoy all 300 variations of Iron man while we enjoy are 3 Jacks! 😂

Last edited:

I could talk Captain Jack endlessly, and that’s why I’m getting into this, I have no issues with different opinions, it’s fun to go back and forth, especially with members like you who have been equally passionate about their Jack figures over the years.

I still remember getting the first MMS Jack Sparrow. It came out at the same time as the Sideshow Farmboy Luke. I think Luke was $65 and Jack was $120. And Jack was just leagues away.

Jack was super tall and out of scale because of the plastic boots. The ankle joints pegged into the boots, so he was probably at least a half-inch too tall. But there was still so much detail packed into the headsculpt, compared to SSC. Even at double the price, Jack felt like a stellar figure.

I have been collecting 1/6 Hot Toys since 2006 and Captain Jack’s since the original Medicom RAH. That original MMS Jack felt like a revolution in so many ways. Compared to figures like original HT Rambos and Aliens Marines, the level of realism was a huge leap forward. The evolution from Medicom in that regard was also vast. Medicom looked pretty decent overall, but plastic belt and baldric along with an inhuman skin tone made it feel very much like a toy, even Sideshow 1/6 of that period felt more realistic. Even back then though, the flaws were apparent. Those were the days of the one size fits all TT body with crazy broad shoulders that made every character seem like He-Man lol Height didn’t seem like as much an issue since Jack was stand alone and the POTC figures that followed were in scale, but the overall silhouette was far from Depp. DX06 was such a relief in how well it captured Depp’s build. The other big leap for me from MMS to DX was subtle, but significant, and it was the cloth wrap for his right hand. The MMS had no articulation in the right hand which sucked for posing with the sword or pistol. As a toy photographer it was especially frustrating.

I'd actually even go so far as to say 5 is better from start to finish than 3 from start to finish. At World's End has some amazing sequences, the maelstrom battle being one of the best of the franchise, but there are also some sequences that get muddied by the overly convoluted plot of people making deals with each other and figuring out who's playing who, etc. Pirates 5 has a much more straight forward story and you get a consistent experience from start to finish. My issue with 5 is the portrayal of Jack.

Here's how I'd rank the franchise.

1. Curse of the Black Pearl - This movie is just great from start to finish. The story is straight forward and feels like a classic adventure based around pirates of the era, the characters are written and acted wonderfully, and the music is fantastic.

2. Dead Man's Chest - This movie does a great job of continuing the overall tonal quality of Curse while introducing more supernatural and mythical elements. Davy Jones is an incredible new character with an amazing performance. The story is a bit more complex than Curse, which does hurt it at times.

3. Dead Men Tell No Tales - This movie was wise to go back to a simpler story like Curse, however, it goes so far as to be almost identical in the supernatural element. The new characters were interesting end entertaining and the returning characters were used quite well. With it being a movie about Pirates, the inclusion of adventures and battles at see was a big leap forward after On Stranger Tides and really made this entry feel like it belongs in the series. For me, this movie is brought down by the manner with which a down on his luck Jack Sparrow was portrayed. The drunken aspects to him were over the top with a lot of ridiculous dialogue and jokes that just don't work. It feels like the greatest departure from his character in the entire series.

4. At World's End - Like Dead Man's Chest, this film did a great job of keeping the feel of it's predecessors and the characters continued to deliver quality performances. The action sequences are fantastic, the music adds some great new themes. If this movie had more time in the writing room, I think the end product may have been much better, but writing on the go really hurt it and the plot is really hard to follow at times. It's easier on repeat viewings, but I still remember walking out of my first viewing in a very confused state and not really knowing how I felt about it.

5. On Strangers Tides - I rank this last as a Pirates movie because it honestly feels more like a Captain Jack Sparrow solo film that didn't commit to being that type of film, and in trying to work other Pirate characters and plot into the film, it weakens the overall film. It lacks sea battles, the music is heavily recycled, the new characters are lacking and even some of the call back characters aren't their best. As far as Jack Sparrow goes, I love this movie for the spotlight it puts on him and he is still very much classic Jack. The impostor sword fight at the beginning of the film is great, both in choreography and score, and I wish the franchise had more of those 1 on 1 type duels where you just focus on the fight and not cut back and forth between that and a larger battle going on elsewhere.
I disagree, I would still put the first 3 movies above the 2 that came after, and while I do agree that CotBP is the best of the franchise I personally enjoy Dead Man's Chest a lot more. That movie had so many things going for it, an amazing villain realized with groundbreaking CGI that holds up to this day, amazing set pieces, beautiful locations, memorable fight scenes, arguably the best sea monster in cinema and a banger soundtrack.

At World's End gets really messy and sluggish at times, which is no surprise when one takes into account they were still writing the 2nd and 3rd movies when they began filming but it has way better action and character moments than OST or DMTNT. Not to mention so many iconic scenes, the opening with Hoist the Colours, Elizabeth's speech, Up is Down, the entirety of the maelstrom fight, which is still the best fight in the entire franchise.

The first 3 movies feel like a cohesive experience, sometimes messy for sure but Gore Verbinski brought an undeniable style and tone to the Pirates movies that's completely missing in what came after.

OST feels the closest to the first 3, Johnny Depp is still at the top of his game as Jack, there's really amazing character moments, nice additions to the world with the mermaids and beautiful locations but the movie completely fails at being a Pirates movie once they get on the island, it begins to feel closer to Indiana Jones.

The priest and mermaid romance subplot felt like something the studio demanded because it felt so out of place and rushed, it sticks out like a sore thumb, I really didn't like it.

Ian McShane was such good casting as Blackbeard but absolutely wasted as a character, whatever villain they had lined up after Davy Jones had BIG shoes to fill but it feels like they didn't even try with Blackbeard, the movie instead treats Penelope Cruz's Angelica as Jack's villain and she too is an unremarkable character, to the point they completely dropped her whole arc and the voodoo doll plot in DMTNT.

Dead Men Tell No Tales to me is the one that feels the least like a PoTC movie, it has that modern over sharpened, fake, CGI look of every other Marvel and fantasy movie that has come out in the past 10 years. Johnny Depp lost the ability to portray Jack, likely because of what was going on in his private life while he was filming it and it comes across on screen.

Not only that but it's the first time they brought a new writer in and it's clear they had no idea how to write Jack or what the established lore was, so many blatant retcons and plot holes that break the continuation of the previous movies, especially in regards to the Dutchman and the compass. And how Jack reacted to the miniature Pearl sinking? His beloved ship, his freedom? That's the best example of how badly the script fails Jack and the entire franchise as a whole.

I guess Salazar was a better villain than Blackbeard, his ship was cool but Javier Bardem was wasted as well, he spends the whole movie basically grunting "Jag Sbarro" lol and while it was cool to see Will and Elizabeth return for some cameos it did feel tacked on and turned the Dutchman into a curse and not a job from Calypso. Let's not get started on the post credits scene, the trident supposedly broke all sea curses but "Somehow Davy Jones returned." The entire script is a mess.

I'll agree a lot of DMTNT doesn't make much sense, but no more than OST's magic swords and tridents... complete with another silly "stand in the right place to see the sky map" moment just like Rey locating the exact spot to use the dagger/locator thingy in ROS.

Disney magic! Bah!!!!!

I fully admit that I'm a victim of recency bias, but this is definitely my most anticipated preorder at the moment. Great sculpt, intricate tailoring, multiple looks, and a centerpiece diorama. There aren't many other figures that have all that. The Batman/Bat-Signal set would qualify, but Sideshow is apparently holding mine until the heat death of the universe...

I disagree, I would still put the first 3 movies above the 2 that came after, and while I do agree that CotBP is the best of the franchise I personally enjoy Dead Man's Chest a lot more. That movie had so many things going for it, an amazing villain realized with groundbreaking CGI that holds up to this day, amazing set pieces, beautiful locations, memorable fight scenes, arguably the best sea monster in cinema and a banger soundtrack.

At World's End gets really messy and sluggish at times, which is no surprise when one takes into account they were still writing the 2nd and 3rd movies when they began filming but it has way better action and character moments than OST or DMTNT. Not to mention so many iconic scenes, the opening with Hoist the Colours, Elizabeth's speech, Up is Down, the entirety of the maelstrom fight, which is still the best fight in the entire franchise.

The first 3 movies feel like a cohesive experience, sometimes messy for sure but Gore Verbinski brought an undeniable style and tone to the Pirates movies that's completely missing in what came after.

OST feels the closest to the first 3, Johnny Depp is still at the top of his game as Jack, there's really amazing character moments, nice additions to the world with the mermaids and beautiful locations but the movie completely fails at being a Pirates movie once they get on the island, it begins to feel closer to Indiana Jones.

The priest and mermaid romance subplot felt like something the studio demanded because it felt so out of place and rushed, it sticks out like a sore thumb, I really didn't like it.

Ian McShane was such good casting as Blackbeard but absolutely wasted as a character, whatever villain they had lined up after Davy Jones had BIG shoes to fill but it feels like they didn't even try with Blackbeard, the movie instead treats Penelope Cruz's Angelica as Jack's villain and she too is an unremarkable character, to the point they completely dropped her whole arc and the voodoo doll plot in DMTNT.

Dead Men Tell No Tales to me is the one that feels the least like a PoTC movie, it has that modern over sharpened, fake, CGI look of every other Marvel and fantasy movie that has come out in the past 10 years. Johnny Depp lost the ability to portray Jack, likely because of what was going on in his private life while he was filming it and it comes across on screen.

Not only that but it's the first time they brought a new writer in and it's clear they had no idea how to write Jack or what the established lore was, so many blatant retcons and plot holes that break the continuation of the previous movies, especially in regards to the Dutchman and the compass. And how Jack reacted to the miniature Pearl sinking? His beloved ship, his freedom? That's the best example of how badly the script fails Jack and the entire franchise as a whole.

I guess Salazar was a better villain than Blackbeard, his ship was cool but Javier Bardem was wasted as well, he spends the whole movie basically grunting "Jag Sbarro" lol and while it was cool to see Will and Elizabeth return for some cameos it did feel tacked on and turned the Dutchman into a curse and not a job from Calypso. Let's not get started on the post credits scene, the trident supposedly broke all sea curses but "Somehow Davy Jones returned." The entire script is a mess.

I completely agree about the visual quality of DMTNT, it does stand out and such a modern look feels out of place telling a story that takes place in an age that would look much more worn and old.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever see a movie with the look of the first three again, it just seems the way of modern Hollywood productions.

That said, at least wardrobe and makeup got the assignment with DMTNT. Gibbs in OST is a shining example of how overly clean characters looked in that movie compared to 1-3. Gibbs looked younger than he should. In 5, he looks dirty and worn and old as he should.

I could talk Captain Jack endlessly, and that’s why I’m getting into this, I have no issues with different opinions, it’s fun to go back and forth, especially with members like you who have been equally passionate about their Jack figures over the years.

I have been collecting 1/6 Hot Toys since 2006 and Captain Jack’s since the original Medicom RAH. That original MMS Jack felt like a revolution in so many ways. Compared to figures like original HT Rambos and Aliens Marines, the level of realism was a huge leap forward. The evolution from Medicom in that regard was also vast. Medicom looked pretty decent overall, but plastic belt and baldric along with an inhuman skin tone made it feel very much like a toy, even Sideshow 1/6 of that period felt more realistic. Even back then though, the flaws were apparent. Those were the days of the one size fits all TT body with crazy broad shoulders that made every character seem like He-Man lol Height didn’t seem like as much an issue since Jack was stand alone and the POTC figures that followed were in scale, but the overall silhouette was far from Depp. DX06 was such a relief in how well it captured Depp’s build. The other big leap for me from MMS to DX was subtle, but significant, and it was the cloth wrap for his right hand. The MMS had no articulation in the right hand which sucked for posing with the sword or pistol. As a toy photographer it was especially frustrating.
DX06 definitely captured Depp's body and Jack's costume the best out of all the old Jack releases, it was one of those figures that truly pushed the entire industry forward by being a piece of art in pretty much everyway, even with the cartoony head. I always had a soft spot for the Enterbay head, it's not perfect, certainly misses the mark in some areas but it's the only sculpt out there of Jack that reminds me of CotBP, I wonder what you think of it? Most seem to hate it.
1711753122779.png

I completely agree about the visual quality of DMTNT, it does stand out and such a modern look feels out of place telling a story that takes place in an age that would look much more worn and old.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we’ll ever see a movie with the look of the first three again, it just seems the way of modern Hollywood productions.

That said, at least wardrobe and makeup got the assignment with DMTNT. Gibbs in OST is a shining example of how overly clean characters looked in that movie compared to 1-3. Gibbs looked younger than he should. In 5, he looks dirty and worn and old as he should.
Yes, it's a shame that the franchise lost it's established style when Gore Verbinski was done with the trilogy. I recall Jerry Bruckheimer saying the reason they hired those two Norwegian directors for DMTNT was because they could work well with a really tight budget and it shows.

I disagree with that too haha, Gibbs and some of the other pirates looked good but Jack looked so odd, like he was made of wax, his face scars and syphilis patch looked so fake and his wardrobe looks so clean. Even Salazar and his crew had this weird fake look to them because of their black scars.

The standard release also does NOT include the treasure chest, though you might not notice unless you compare stats.

• One (1) treasure chest (openable)*
  • Specially designed pirate-themed diorama base with translucent ocean water effect, and parts of a ship*
* Exclusive the Deluxe Version

Honest answer guys - thinking of selling my DX06 to help pay for this,
what would you lot say is a decent price for it?
I dont want to rip people off but I do want to raise enough to put a dent in the price of buying the new figure, so I would like to know what fellow collectors think is genuinely fair as a price, as I know eBay can be a mixed bag in determining after-market prices.
Figure is in perfect condition, not a thing wrong with it and no signs of age.
Would adding the DX15 zombie-shark diorama to the lot make a significant difference in price do you think? [i bought it separately a while back]

Back