1/6 - Hot Toys: MMS481 - Avengers: Infinity War - Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're willing to sacrifice the HT sculpt for the KO ZC toys on grounds of likeness, then I'll not sure what to say. If anything, I would argue that the ZC sculpt proves the current Rogers head that was recasted for it isn't as good as people claim it to be.

Yeah I feel the same way. I always have a very difficult time letting figures go once they're in my collection. Each one holds their value in time. I've actually ever only sold 1 figure throughout the 3 years i've been in this hobby and that was because the Ebay seller had said it was new when it was clearly not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I first started collecting was surprised at the turnover e.g. if a new fig came out, the older version would go. But everyone collects differently and I didn't have a plan, it was more like crack u get one and then the next and then more shelves...:lol

Luv my *dolls* and their 1/6 scale collection of extra sniper rifles, knives, spare Cap shields, and re-purposed diorama bases too:monkey3. So far all of them are staying as the "MCU 10 year collection". Re this IW Cap - he's on PO so time to watch more reviews$$$$

I've been seeing a lot of photos of this fig pop up on my Instagram lately and I gotta say this is the first time a Hot Toy looked way more like a toy than a super realistic figure.

I got into HT's about the time they released the Iron Man Mk. 46 and I was absolutely blown away by how freaking realistic that Tony head sculpt looked, however there's just something about the new Cap head sculpt that doesn't even have that realistic element to it.

It's upsetting because I really wanted this figure and I was still open to picking it up, but after seeing more photos of that lame toyish-looking head sculpt I am now 100% out. :wave

Such a shame they weren't able really smash it on the likeness as I most certainly would have added this guy to my collection. Love Cap (who doesn't) and I'm very much a fan of his look in IW. But I just don't see much of Chris Evans in that sculpt and disappointingly, that's a deal breaker (for me).

However, good luck to those who like the figure and are happy adding it to their shelves. I still look forward to seeing in hand pics and the various poses/dioramas people will put him in. :)

They just don't quite manage Chris Evans, even the previous better ones are a bit generic American Hero to my eyes - good sculpts but not tremendously good likenesses.

I really hope Avengers 4 provides an opportunity to do another classic look Captain America and Hot Toys uses the improved body shape. If they still can't nail the likeness so be it. I would accept that if there isn't also still a need to customize the body to look more natural.

Last edited:
They just don't quite manage Chris Evans, even the previous better ones are a bit generic American Hero to my eyes - good sculpts but not a tremendously good likenesses.

I really hope Avengers 4 provides an opportunity to do another classic look Captain America and Hot Toys uses the improved body shape. If they still can't nail the likeness so be it. I would accept that if there isn't also still a need to customize the body to look more natural.

Luv all my Caps - even with the earlier sculpts I can see stills in my brain from the movies, and the later sculpt - TWS/CW for me they nailed it.

After a lot of angst:gah: cancelled my PO:( . May revisit later...dunno just couldn't get around HT having lots of bites at the apple re Cap. Portrait/nose esp. is too "soft/round" looking for me - reminds me of a Medicom fig I returned years ago. Plus, plastic-y uniform material I think was chosen to make consistent holes to show scale shirt, but wasn't expecting that e.g. this is not a (re-dyed) match to CW uniform. (It's a tiny detail but on screen there's a hole where Cap (I guess) pulled the original star off. HT is usually good about that kind of thing.)

Just don't feel like HT put their back into these IW figs. Maybe I'm wrong but even best pics I've seen in hand - to me this fig looks more toy-like or plastic-y. Also don't feel like rewarding HT for this $$$ release - kinda feel like this would make my other Caps look bad or something. I could deal w. costume tho if sculpt was good.

Good luck to those picking this up - if I got a great deal maybe will revisit later. Sux w. Bucky on PO and I want WM and BW. :gah::(

Based on all the hate/backlash and cancelled orders or people not buying I think HT is def gonna get the message (when they see how much inventory they have left over) on never rushing production again. :lecture

Based on all the hate/backlash and cancelled orders or people not buying I think HT is def gonna get the message (when they see how much inventory they have left over) on never rushing production again. :lecture

Depends on how many they made and we have no idea how many people canceled. Ten or twenty on here really means nothing. Cap and the movie are extremely popular so i'm sure it will sell just fine.

Depends on how many they made and we have no idea how many people canceled. Ten or twenty on here really means nothing. Cap and the movie are extremely popular so i'm sure it will sell just fine.

Right. And just think on how many they wouldn’t have sold AT ALL if they would have kept it on track and goes into A4 as we see the new cap look through trailers and pictures. All the while every one would be saying “I’m waiting for classic captain or A4 Captain because I only want one” and so on... they’d be competing with themselves. Why not cash in when this can be the only Captain we’ve seen since 2016? It’d be dumb of them NOT to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just paid SS $26.50 to keep their figure.

I dont know if it's one thing or a bunch of really little things, but this sculpt just doesn't look close enough to Evans to me.

Hate having to eat the NRD but it's definitely better than owning a figure that I'm disappointed in.

Right. And just think on how many they wouldn’t have sold AT ALL if they would have kept it on track and goes into A4 as we see the new cap look through trailers and pictures. All the while every one would be saying “I’m waiting for classic captain or A4 Captain because I only want one” and so on... they’d be competing with themselves. Why not cash in when this can be the only Captain we’ve seen since 2016? It’d be dumb of them NOT to.
this is already happening anyway though - those that want to see the A4 costume are waiting.

It’s always going to be an issue with two films back to back. But perhaps ultimately it’s always better to produce an extreme quality figure - one that will sell out, but over time (as it’s recognised as one of a kind), than a figure that even the most die hard fans don’t want to pay for. Quality will always sell eventually.

this is already happening anyway though - those that want to see the A4 costume are waiting.

It’s always going to be an issue with two films back to back. But perhaps ultimate it’s sways better to produce an extreme quality figure - one that will sell out, but over time (as it’s recognised as one of a kind), than a figure that even the most die hard fans don’t want to pay for. Quality will always sell eventually.

This is absolutely true. For example I have the CW Winter Soldier and was satisfied with that and had no intent on getting the IW Bucky due to what I thought was a lame outfit and also cause it's Bucky...why do I need 2 of a C-tier character when I've already got one to represent him. However when they dropped the promo images of that amazing 3.0 head sculpt I was sold! I did a complete 180 because of how astounded I was by the quality/likeness of the new head sculpt.

Trust me, had they ended up releasing IW Cap after Avengers 4 Cap had already been revealed, but IW Cap head sculpt was next-level, top notch quality, I would still be getting it regardless of a newer A4 version.

In the end, HT did a disservice to their customers and themselves, pure and simple.

If people are happy and want the figure, that is all that matters.

I just think the likeness is quite off, and it takes away from the figure for me. I would absolutely get this if the headsculpt didnt feel like a step back. But I don't buy every hot toy, so I can get picky. It is a shame, I wanted this figure, but the headsculpt to me is worse than the Loki one (I own the loki, and the likeness also has issues, but with the helmet it looks very good.) But I admit the likeness on Loki has issues that will and should deter some collectors.

This is absolutely true. For example I have the CW Winter Soldier and was satisfied with that and had no intent on getting the IW Bucky due to what I thought was a lame outfit and also cause it's Bucky...why do I need 2 of a C-tier character when I've already got one to represent him. However when they dropped the promo images of that amazing 3.0 head sculpt I was sold! I did a complete 180 because of how astounded I was by the quality/likeness of the new head sculpt.

Trust me, had they ended up releasing IW Cap after Avengers 4 Cap had already been revealed, but IW Cap head sculpt was next-level, top notch quality, I would still be getting it regardless of a newer A4 version.

In the end, HT did a disservice to their customers and themselves, pure and simple.

That Bucky sculpt is awesome, agreed. Concept Cap would look nice next to Bucky, better than IW Cap.

It’s always going to be an issue with two films back to back. But perhaps ultimately it’s always better to produce an extreme quality figure - one that will sell out, but over time (as it’s recognised as one of a kind), than a figure that even the most die hard fans don’t want to pay for. Quality will always sell eventually.

I know it already happening is but it’d be even worse if they stepped on their own toes. I think a lot of these characters will sell no matter what as stated above but if they could get a few more commitment sales from impulse buyers because it’s the only thing on the market-that’s low hanging fruit. You say “die hard” fans but as we always talk about, we are actually the minority.

Saying quality will always sell eventually seems vague. Kyle REN and many others were widely seen as a great figure but struggled to get pushed out. Don’t quote quantity either because we will never know that

With that said I completely agree with you that I wish they’d hold off and give us quality. Like I said before this was my favorite representation of CA in this movie and I want this figure SO badly but like everyone is saying I don’t think that head-sculpt will hold up well

I know it already happening is but it’d be even worse if they stepped on their own toes. I think a lot of these characters will sell no matter what as stated above but if they could get a few more commitment sales from impulse buyers because it’s the only thing on the market-that’s low hanging fruit. You say “die hard” fans but as we always talk about, we are actually the minority.

Saying quality will always sell eventually seems vague. Kyle REN and many others were widely seen as a great figure but struggled to get pushed out. Don’t quote quantity either because we will never know that

With that said I completely agree with you that I wish they’d hold off and give us quality. Like I said before this was my favorite representation of CA in this movie and I want this figure SO badly but like everyone is saying I don’t think that head-sculpt will hold up well

I’m just trying to play devils advocate for their business side of things. I understand it and it’s most likely what I would have done too if it was my business

Just paid SS $26.50 to keep their figure.

I dont know if it's one thing or a bunch of really little things, but this sculpt just doesn't look close enough to Evans to me.

Hate having to eat the NRD but it's definitely better than owning a figure that I'm disappointed in.

Yeah. Stings:(...and the amount of angst the decision caused me ('coz I have a VISION:monkey3 for my "Cap arc" shelf and now there's this HOLE thanx for that HT:mad:!). But I have other figs and statues coming down the pipe - SSC sent me a notice for 1/10 Iron Studios Bucky at end of Nov; plus am getting THEIR 1/10 Cap and Falcon.

Then 1/6 IW Cap payments would've been due in January. Which I could've dealt with - had a plan - but slowly realized after looking at a lot of vids the only thing I really liked about this release was the accessories. From the crispy uniform to the sculpt to the kinda shiny looking gloves:slap, just wasn't feelin' it. IMO even if it's never seen that zig-zag hair seam to me is gawd-awful on an HT???$$$$ Felt like I might as well pick up a NECA fig instead, and tweak some.

Bucky's just gonna hafta stand with IW Natasha and CW BP, or concept Cap. Thought about picking BP throne up so I'd have the White Wolf and king of Wakanda on display.

But I admit the likeness on Loki has issues that will and should deter some collectors.

Yeah, tho am keeping my Loki PO. For him, I figure the horns are so iconic and sort of re-frame the face, for me it's not so much an issue. I just wish Ragnarok Loki looked less grim. With Cap IMO really does look like Rick Grimes - maybe the sculptor used the wrong reference photos.:google

Back