1/6 Hot Toys - MMS402/3 - Rogue One - Chirrut Imwe Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Rogue One - Chirrut Imwe Collectible Figure

The deluxe version should really come with both the deluxe and standard rectangular bases like the Boba Fett deluxe figure. But other than that, the figure looks amazing. Will still wait to decide till after Rogue One comes out (in just a few weeks!).

I preordered the deluxe version. Too much of a Star Wars fan and Donnie Yen fan to skip this.

He looks awesome.

I'm going to go into writer mode and rant for a bit here. Forgive me (Or just don't read it). But I think the Finn/Poe stuff should be taken seriously, not written off as part of the weird, fringe culture of fandoms shipping characters with no rational for it. Look, you can dismiss it out of hand or not, but (and with infinite directions to take the story, it may not end up being the case) given the way The Force Awakens ended, it may be a more serious possibility than you think. In fact, with Finn, Poe, and Leia left to head up the Resistance until they presumably reunite with Rey and Luke in the third act of VIII, the story practically writes itself.

Finn's entire arc in TFA is about building relationships for the first time. Now that he's established friendships with the people around him, the two kinds of relationships he has yet to really experience are spousal and familial. With almost no chance of finding his birth parents (and considering that Star Wars tends to build its ensembles up as sort of adoptive families anyway) all he really has left to find is a partner.

Now you could argue that this logic applies to any character -- and that centering any single character's arc around the idea that they are somehow incomplete without a partner is, frankly, stupid.

I would agree with this, except that Finn is a unique case. I vehemently believe that the story of someone who has essentially been held captive and prevented from making human connections their whole life falling in love for the first time would be extremely powerful.

Now as far as who his love interest is, you really have two options as far as I'm concerned. He has great chemistry with Rey and Poe. They are his peers and his friends and the connections are already there. If you bring in a new character who was created simply for Finn to lust after, well, that's how you end up with a ****** character.

Now, with Rey friend-zoning him repeatedly and then going off to be a jedi, that ship has pretty much sailed. Poe on the other hand works perfectly. He's a clean enough slate as a character to build up the relationship in a way that presents it as an equally important step in his arc. According to ancillary material released around the same time as TFA, Poe's mother was a pilot in the Rebellion. He grew up never knowing whether she was coming home or not. That was difficult enough, but that pain was only amplified when eventually she didn't. He might be resistant to putting someone he loves through that same pain as he continues to take on dangerous missions throughout the galaxy, thus keeping his feelings for Finn to himself.

And yes, while some LGBT representation would be nice to have in the biggest film franchise of all time, a vocal minority (and the Chinese government) will throw a fit because they're bigots. Some people would dismiss it as politicizing a film instead of telling the best story they can. But at a certain point you have to realize, if the film makers think that two characters should be together and they happen to be of the same sex, they ARE just telling the best story they possibly can. There is no agenda there. Unless you consider acknowledging that gay people exist just like straight people some sort of agenda, in which case get a grip. The truth is that Finn and Poe would be no different from any other couple including Han and Leia and Anakin and Padme.

Also, you can't tell me that Leia playing a mother figure to them both and trying to matchmake (since they are both under her wing as part of the Resistance) wouldn't be the funniest part of the movie.

Finn and Poe are standing around a holotable with various generals and dignitaries. They are next to Leia, who is briefing the group on an impending attack from the First Order. She is interrupted momentarily by Finn being called away to help with something. Poe watches after him as he leaves.

Leia: As I was saying, with the First Order taking hold of the mid-rim and no governmental structure left to--

Leia notices Poe isn't listening. Instead he's still staring at the door Finn left through.

Leia: Poe?

Poe: (snapping out of it) Huh?

Leia: (pauses, realizing) Oh, get it together, would you please?

Poe: Yes Ma'am.

Scene continues.

Okay, so the set up for that scene was created solely for the silly joke, but you get the point. Even if the romance sucks at least we'll get some of Leia's humor out of it, which was lacking a bit in TFA given the serious nature of her role. I also think that it would add a compelling dimension to her own arc. I don't want her to spend the whole movie crying over Han. I want her to kick ass, reunite with her brother, and look for a way to save her son. But at the same time she needs to grieve in a way the audience can see, and a great way to show her doing that without it becoming the whole of her role in the film would be to have her try and push two characters who clearly have feelings for one another together -- because she wants these people who look up to her to have the happy ending she and Han never did. And to see them wasting time dancing around the issue like she and Han used to is frustrating her to no end. Yes, inserting her into the situation could provide a lot of comedy, but more importantly: By poking fun and offering meaningful advice to them based on her own love life, it shows her handling Han's death in a way that doesn't stop the whole movie dead in its tracks.

So anyway, that's my rant on why you should take it seriously. If any group of people would be able and willing to take the potential hit from overseas markets, it's the people at Lucasfilm right now. Disney executives like Bob Iger would probably be the ones to quash it if they were worried about losing profit in the short term. But in the long run, it would help solidify Star Wars' already impressive legacy of inclusion. Maybe that's not reason enough for you to want it, but the story of this new trilogy has almost accidentally provided us with the first real opportunity to see a gay romance at the center of a blockbuster. Not shoehorned in. Not thrown in as some side character's sub-plot. Not some awful stereotype. Just two normal people that love each other -- and who happen to be of the same sex. This would mean so much to so many. (Including me, for what it's worth)

Rian Johnson knows this. He's acknowledged as much on twitter. That doesn't mean he decided to take the story in that direction, but at least he's understanding and supportive of people's desire to see it. As far as Finn's supposed love interest being cast, that was before Poe's role was beefed up and her's down in the rewrites based on fan reaction to the character in TFA. So really, who knows? Anything could happen.

Also, in addition to naming him, Poe gave Finn his jacket. That's SUCH a boyfriend move.

/End rant

WOW! NO!!

Frankly, i have my doubt about a romance between Finn and Poe being green lit by Disney. you gotta keep in mind they are going for a global strategy with this licence and quite a few markets would be reluctant to release it "as is" on their territory to say the least. China in particular comes to mind as a very conservative nation and is clearly of great importance to Disney in their business plan.

Remind me again what that fan theory that isn't happening has to do with Chirrut Inwe or Rogue One

The exclusive base reminds me of the Jake Avatar base.

The figure does look amazing but I have no real desire to collect outside of the OT.

If we do get a Tarkin in this line, then it's an automatic pre-order.

I did pick up the Jakku Trooper as my only representation of TFA. Have been tempted to get Rey & BB8 but have still held off.

The figure does look amazing but I have no real desire to collect outside of the OT.

I did pick up the Jakku Trooper as my only representation of TFA. Have been tempted to get Rey & BB8 but have still held off.

At today’s prices I have to agree. Spending over $350 CAN on a character that I have only known for one year (apprx time between movieh and figure in hand) I DON’T THINK SO!!!!!

Is only OT HT for me. Leave the other movies for the kids…..

I primarily collect OT too but if you liked rey and bb8 in the movies it is an excellent set. Almost DX like. Can be had for a little over $270 shipped at bbts.

Yep, the set does look amazing and every time I go into the Rey thread, the amazing pics from fellow collectors tempt me in picking her up. I may eventually do so, but still holding out as of today... :)

2Predator_Predator.jpgChirrut-Îmwe-figure-9-600x420.jpg
M@#$kers! Hot Toys recycle the pred base. Seriously man, they have no respect for customers. This really pisses me off.

Well it's just the deluxe... you can just buy the normal one. And I personally don't have that Predator so I don't mind it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I do everything I can to get out of using figure stands all together. I have no idea why people go crazy for the stands. They ruin the fun and the point of having them look realistic.

Yeah, but not all figures can stand on their own. I like the wider rectangle shape stand though since the legs have different poses.

Well it's just the deluxe... you can just buy the normal one. And I personally don't have that Predator so I don't mind it

True, but they call it deluxe, it sounded special. ....woulda been if it's back in pre 2009 :slap

I use stands because I'd rather not risk my figures falling over. Plus personally I feel like diorama bases can add to a display rather than take away. They kind of complete the scene for me.

Back