1/6 Hot Toys - MMS402/3 - Rogue One - Chirrut Imwe Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me Krennic is the only character to come out of the RO trailers that has gravitas and feels very Star Wars - a lot of RO feels like a SW TV show, Krennic is very big screen. Jyn feels very Rey/Mary Sue to me and the supporting players either feel low wattage, derivative (the droid just feels too 3PO, the dry jokes changed in context because the new droid has some physical menace) or just not very Star Wars - this Imwe guy included. Remove the Star Wars stand tag from him and you'd never have guessed he was from a SW movie - same with the Ghostbusters guy (Base I think?)

Krennic I would have PO'ed in a heartbeat, but this guy - I dunno, Rey dragged around that pole thing in TFA, now this guy literally has a stick to "kill" armored stormtroopers. And to think people questioned the utility of stormtrooper armor with the Ewoks with arrows, rocks and clubs. Now we have Jyn with a small baton and this guy with his walking stick laying massacring a dozen of them.:slap

Look, I get it - slap a Star Wars logo on it and it's a new classic we're all supposed to love it because it's filmed interacting with OT goodness, but some of it just doesn't pass muster to me.

Amen brother :goodpost:

And the OT stromtroopers were all the same mold (or molds of the same molds, slightly distorted) painted with minor differences (e.g. grey mouth vs black mouth.) But with RO they have revised the design completely - the goggles rounded more like sunglasses and earpieces totally different, codpiece narrowed considerably, torso/proportions different due to armor changes etc. Truthfully, it's actually fairly noticeable (more in a "something's off here" way than any one change standing out,) and when viewed up close and side by side with an OT stormie, these are quite obvious design changes, not "small tweaks."

And a cape being an inch longer? The RO Vader has few of the hallmarks of ANH Vader - look at the chest armor; in ANH it's matte/monochromatic black. In RO it is high gloss with zebra-like gunmetal and black stripes. Look at the helmet (high gloss/pristine instead of dulled/battle-scarred,) look at the puffy diaper codpiece - these are not "cape an inch longer" type stuff - they are obvious given that this is supposed to blend seamlessly with ANH Vader. People seem to think there's something that been added in reshoots to explain this pretty stark costume mismatch, but as it stands, not a single pic of Vader from RO matches the look of Vader in ANH. Yes, it's "Vader" to the casual fan, but not the same Vader you see 10 mins later in ANH.

The "enjoyment" of RO is the marketing hook - that it is supposed to end a few minutes before ANH begins. If you're going to have that be the idea of your "new Star Wars movie" why would you take it upon yourself to redesign the stormtrooper, when it's supposed to match the stormies that come onscreen a few minutes later in ANH?

It's like saying let's do a prequel to Ghostbusters that occurs a few days before GB1, but making the suits bright white and the backpacks metallic instead of biege/grey and black. With weathering and everything, will casual fans or kids notice the white suits and metallic backpacks and yell "that's not Ghostbusters!"? Probably not. But WHY NOT just match the suits that are in the movie that starts ten mins after your new movie ends? If RO took place 5 years before ANH or soemthing, there wouldn't be a problem - but it doesn't.

If you say it happens the same week as ANH but you change the designs on some of the most iconic costumes in film history (by saying the look of them was due "limitations" 40 years ago) then you are gonna spoil some of the "enjoyment" of fans who wanted to see those same iconic costumes in action onscreen again - as you'd expect with the movie set at the same time as ANH - not a retconned Ep3-looking Vader and "cute-face" stormtroopers wearing sunglasses.

So much yes. lol

Don't try to sell us on how this is ANH era and, omg, it's like minutes before ANH, aren't you excited?! Only to noticeably change all the suit, even proudly going to cons saying how much better they are. Look, I get that they're making a new film, and you have to make new suits and props and everything else, but you SO easily could have improved the detail and materials used in making the suits while absolutely making them look like the ones in ANH, which is what you're supposedly trying to do. We've been over all of this in the Stormtrooper threads, so it's kinda beating a dead horse at this point, but it really is bothersome.

No

Spoiler Spoiler:

But don't Knoll's comments made just a couple of days ago - as FX supervisor and Exec Producer - supercede those "rumors"? He was DIRECTLY asked about the Vader costume RO/ANH discrepancies and that was his response.

The differences between the costumes aren't just being pointed out by a few "OCD" fans on here (as many on here seem to want to believe) - it's been widely reported and discussed and hence Comingsoon or whichever major film site it was asking Knoll for clarification. The RO Vader and the ANH Vader are pretty different looking to all but a casual fan or kid.

The whole idea that you're embracing has major holes in it. The simplest question - why didn't they just match the ANH look when he's only in it as an extended cameo? Why introduce a new Vader look that is not ANH (or any other OT for that matter) when RO takes place within days - or even within hours - of ANH?

I know, we can't judge until the film is out - but what concerns me is that Knoll has specifically weighed in on this and what he said is textbook retconning, and shows little understanding of the OT costumes he's commenting on.

Maybe the only time we see Vader in this movie is back-in-time when Krennic captures/kills Jyn's father. Maybe the whole outfit question is many years prior to his mission to "retrieve the stolen plans".

Just spit-ballin'

I think I read somewhere a while back that they recreated the ANH Vader suit for this movie. But when the first promo images from of Vader were released showing him in an ESB/ROTJ/ANH hybrid, I just figured it was from an earlier point in the movie. The timeline looks to span over the course of at least more than a decade, when we see young Jyn up till the end which is apparently 10 minutes before ANH starts. The Vader suit the Hot Toys is based on could be of the first suit we see him in. But then at the end he could be back in the ANH suit as we know.

Can't be sure yet until we see the movie, just speculating. But regardless I like this kind of hybrid look. Shiny armor, tunic under chest armor, and red-ish eye lenses.

As for Chirrut I'm liking his character so far. It's a different look and feel for a character in Star Wars, but I personally like what I see in the trailers.

Just ordered this figure with a $20 code I got with my Captain America figure, I was surprised it worked, lol.

So why didn't HT ever release an episode 3 Vader. I've never read anyone ever compare it to others and you get a great CG it looks to be view of it when he does that lame noooooooo scene. Sorry he looked like a dork but maybe it's because it was his first time standing up as a robot.

Been seeing some reactions on Twitter from the premiere tonight, and the people I follow (whose movie opinions I trust) said the movie is pretty darn great. A few people also mentioned that Donnie Yen steals the show apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been seeing some reactions on Twitter from the premiere tonight, and the people I follow (whose movie opinions I trust) said the movie is pretty darn great. A few people also mentioned that Donnie Yen steals the show apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats good to hear. Now Ill be even more tempted to pick him up. Still not sure on the deluxe version at the moment.

Preorders for both normal and deluxe were sold out at BBTS last night. A few have opened up since then, so I put in for one just in case he's this super awesome character I have to have.

I will feel bummed for people who are passing on this guy waiting to see if the movie is good if this ends up getting waitlisted soon.

From what everyone is saying about him now that the review embargo is up it seems like this guy is a no brainer if you are collecting anything from this film.

What are the chances of him selling out anytime soon? I thought he'd last a while...

Back