1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Onesixth custom Smuggler Han head is better than any other third party head I’ve ever seen. I must admit I’ve seen nothing in the Jnix heads that would make me spend money on them and one of the Luke ones I saw looked horrific.

It must genuinely be in the eye of the beholder.

The Jnix Han head is weird - I can see what issues some have with it, but to me its eerily good in hand (it photographs weirdly - even looking shint when it actually loks quite matte in-hand.) What's great is that the paint is close to on-par with a HT head. I just got done refutzing my smuggler Han and the Jnix Han head's just stunning with the HT gear (though I found a few spots of mold on the black vest I had to clean off - argghh!)

Jnix has had a hard time following up the success of the ANH Han though - wasn't a fan of his Luke or ben at all, and something went a bit awry with his ANH/Indy hybrid head, both in sculpt and paint.

The Jnix Han head is weird - I can see what issues some have with it, but to me its eerily good in hand (it photographs weirdly - even looking shint when it actually loks quite matte in-hand.) What's great is that the paint is close to on-par with a HT head. I just got done refutzing my smuggler Han and the Jnix Han head's just stunning with the HT gear (though I found a few spots of mold on the black vest I had to clean off - argghh!)

Jnix has had a hard time following up the success of the ANH Han though - wasn't a fan of his Luke or ben at all, and something went a bit awry with his ANH/Indy hybrid head, both in sculpt and paint.

I can't vouch for all the heads but the ANH Han one is the ****. Many photos do look a bit off though, and some of the Jnix paint apps varied in quality IMO--I preferred the more simple paint finish of the first batch. From across the room all I see is Ford/Han, which I'm not sure I could say with the HT sculpt or for other head sculpts on display (of their respective actors/characters).

I'm glad I held off on Luke/Ben. It's easy to get swept up thinking they're all going to be great/better in hand. The Ben sculpt looked to have a pretty impressive likeness in the Silent Surfer paint-up but even then you could still tell features like the eyes were a bit too close together or the head was a bit too narrow.

Which is very ironic to me honestly. Because the objective of collecting 1/6th scale figures is about realism. But these
jinx heads just don't cut it. So it destroys the "realism" part and creates a "wannabe" character to what was already a better version.

I don't think you understand what "eye of the beholder" means.

That Onesixth custom Smuggler Han head is better than any other third party head I’ve ever seen. I must admit I’ve seen nothing in the Jnix heads that would make me spend money on them and one of the Luke ones I saw looked horrific.

It must genuinely be in the eye of the beholder.

To me, from some angles it looks great. From others, not so much, and some of the paint choices don't help (such as a red wash under the eyes that makes them look too recessed).

I added teeth to mine, thickened the eyebrows and adjusted the paint around the eyes - Hamill actually has quite prominent pale eyelids and bags under his eyes (even in his 20s), and long eyelashes – a combination that seems to be difficult to capture in paint. Bringing this out as much as I could seemed to help, but Jnix definitely made the eyes too large.

Even with all these issues, in the eye of this beholder – side by side with the HT sculpt – it's a better effort, but far from definitive.

IMG_0452 2.jpg

I think his Forrest Gump looks phenomenal, and Officer K looks really damn good too. But yeah as far as his SW sculpts go it's only ANH Han that really works for me.

Hopefully his McFly will be one of the great ones too, but we'll see.

I think his Forrest Gump looks phenomenal, and Officer K looks really damn good too. But yeah as far as his SW sculpts go it's only ANH Han that really works for me.

Hopefully his McFly will be one of the great ones too, but we'll see.

Yeah, I like what we've seen with Officer K so far, sometimes things change a bit when it's on a figure so hopefully it holds up, seems like Trinity came out pretty nicely as well.

If there's a key problem with the Jnix Han is that it's SO specific to ANH it really doesn't work for any other Han - or for ROTLA Indy (to me at least) either. There was something weird about HF's face in ANH that is unique and Jnix nailed it. I just wish the head worked for even ESB, but I just didn't like it when I tried it.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 14.39.13.jpg

This is just a screen grab of a video by the way... but I think even moving back on the body it still looks a tad too big. It doesn't work as well on the ANH body for me as he's obviously older in the sculpt but something like this for Hoth or a Bespin custom would be great. Hell... if we get a Bespin Han and the sculpt doesn't work for some reason I'd be tempted to give this one a go.

Wow... Not sure why there's a second one there... can't seem to delete it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 14.39.13.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 14.39.13.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 239
Back