1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine yesterday.

Sculpt: It's like a lot of "off" HT sculpts. You immediately see it doesn't look like Hamill but after moving it to and fro in your hand you think you get a glimpse of the intended likeness and in a whiff it's gone. But I can' bring myself to hate it. If nothing else it's a well done life-like human portrait.

Issues: The regular hair piece didn't come with a magnet. :lol

Some pics.

Nice composition on this one, Fiend!

This is one of those angles/lighting where it has a decent resemblance. The more I've looked at it and tried to light it, the more I'm convinced it's a lack of depth on the muscles around the mouth, the jaw line is too long and the puffines of his lower eyelids is missing (something they almost got right on the Bespin).

I managed to get some of the mouth muscle area to show in the T-16 shot i took. The "metallic" hair starts to look better under very bright light as well, but in any kind of shadow it just comes off brown.

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• lukeskywalkeruse.jpg
    lukeskywalkeruse.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 364
The clean sculpt of the DX07 looks remarkably close to that image of him in the pilot suit and the sculpt of this ANH Luke looks like that first image. The eyes on the DX07 are a little wider, like in that second image, and the eyes on this sculpt are a little more squinted.

Nice review fiend.

Thanks! :rock Didja' get this one?

Nice composition on this one, Fiend!

This is one of those angles/lighting where it has a decent resemblance.

Thanks for the compliment, and the insight. I do agree about the particular angle as well. I actually liked the DX07 sculpts, particularly the BD. I think they were both closer than this one. It seems Hamill is another likeness that is just tough to get right. I know some have poured scorn over the Sideshow RoTJ Luke sculpt, but I actually think it's a solid likeness when given a repaint. Now it is dated, of course. It's bobble headed( even for it's day) and doesn't have the skin texture as modern sculpts. Sideshow's PF counterpart of the same figure is pretty good too.

The clean sculpt of the DX07 looks remarkably close to that image of him in the pilot suit and the sculpt of this ANH Luke looks like that first image. The eyes on the DX07 are a little wider, like in that second image, and the eyes on this sculpt are a little more squinted.

Well then, in your eyes, HT did a fine job. That picture above of Hamill in the pilot suit was taken after the cash accident he was in and had to get face reconstruction surgery, which was before Empire. And of course the one of Luke in Tatooine was prior to the accident.

Well then, in your eyes, HT did a fine job. That picture above of Hamill in the pilot suit was taken after the cash accident he was in and had to get face reconstruction surgery, which was before Empire. And of course the one of Luke in Tatooine was prior to the accident.

Yeah, the facial features in the sculpts are discernibly different, which I applaud HT for getting correct. I agree with your sentiments that the DX07 sculpts look a little closer to Hamill's likeness post surgery than what this sculpt does pre surgery. That being said, I still think the sculpt on this figure is pretty well done. Enough to know exactly who it is without having to give it a second thought if you were to just show me the sculpt.

Enjoying the back-n-forth and new pics in here of this one....

Here's another shot form me....he's hunting womp rats in Beggar's canyon...

Fiend, he's like all the HT human SW sculpts so far - decent, you can see the character in there, but not really to the degree we all would have hoped when HT first announced. The difference from pics to in-hand for me on Luke was pretty drastic though - this looked way better in-hand than the normal "better in-hand" thing.

Is the metallic sheen on the hair on purpose or accidental? It's the first thing I noticed when I took him out and I can't see why they would have done it on purpose.

Agree, Talibane.

As for the "gold" washed hair, my theory was always that this was their 11th hour step to address the too dark complaints about the proto. But if they were going to do that step, why not just use a lighter non-metallic paint and be done with it? Maybe this was a one step "easy" process as apposed to the strand by strand the sometimes apply...

Agree, Talibane.

As for the "gold" washed hair, my theory was always that this was their 11th hour step to address the too dark complaints about the proto. But if they were going to do that step, why not just use a lighter non-metallic paint and be done with it? Maybe this was a one step "easy" process as apposed to the strand by strand the sometimes apply...

When I get this under photography lights, it starts to look like the dirty blonde color it should be and the "metallic" dry brush gives it a good highlight affect. I think the under layers of paint should have been lighter to begin with though and it may have worked better.

I wonder how much the lighting where they do the proto finishes affects things. I know they expect most of them to be under lights in glass cases - maybe they design with that in mind - or maybe it's not as well thought out as that!

Tom Day - over on the Luke (Echo Base) thread - posted this mod he's doing with that figure. He's routing out the helmet and fitting the ANH head (sans hair) into it. I thought it was amazing how much better the likeness was without the hair/bangs.

hothluke1.jpg

Just for ****s and giggles (and to see if adding real hair might "bring out the Hamill" ) I did a side by side with a still - the angle isn't perfectly matched ( it was quick). Obviously the eye squint in this still makes it harder to compare apples to apples, I'll try it again with another shot. After that I altered some of the features on the figure shot - making the jawline shallower, and squeezing the whole portrait about 15%.

ANH-Luke-Comparison-normal.jpg
ANH-Luke-Comparison-skinny.jpg

As usual, I'm pretty late to the party, just got my HT Luke.
To finance the new HT SW figures, I've been selling off my old SST figures, even though I really liked them.
ANH Luke is one I was especially fond of, and I wish I still had it in hand to compare (knowing full well it'd look pretty bad next to this).

First off, this is quite an mazing figure, just as we've come to expect from HT.
But it does have a few odd issues IMHO.

The first thing that struck me was the metallic hair, it's kinda dark for Mark Hamill, and it is a bit distracting.
Another thing that bugs me is the thick neck, it looks really out of place on the lithe Luke, and makes his upper body look quite disproportionate when compared to his skinny legs. The figure's proportions just look really odd, the entire upper body and head look very big compared to the legs.
I'm also not too fond of the way the shirt (karategi) is stitched to make it blouse over the belt, I'd have preferred to do this myself.

The rest, well, the rest just looks and feels pretty frigging amazing!

I really liked the light-up lightsaber, it looks really amazing in person.

Anyway, really nice figure, I'm looking forward to Leia and Vader now.

I had him for a month or so but just got send to opening him last night.

I think it tops Han as the worst Hot Toys Star Wars figure yet.

Weird body issues, it just doesn't look like his build. Likeness is not so great, maybe better than Han but off. The clones are really terrible especially the tunic it just can't look natural no matter what way it sits. Truely terrible. And the pants and leg wrappings were better on the old sideshow figure.

Pros are all of the accessories, very nice selection.

Back