1/6 Hot Toys - MMS285 - Avengers: AOU - Hulkbuster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paying things off early is always nice. You never know if it will ship 6 months early or something.

True, plus depending on when one is anticipating paying for other items it could actually be better than paying later. I wasn’t thinking of it in those terms. AE just gave us another degree of flexibility regarding how we fit these expensive toys into our respective budgets.

True, plus depending on when one is anticipating paying for other items it could actually be better than paying later. I wasn’t thinking of it in those terms. AE just gave us another degree of flexibility regarding how we fit these expensive toys into our respective budgets.

I think that's going a bit far. Why pay something off 6 months before you get it when you can hang onto the money and pay for it when the product releases. Instead of handing the money over to AE months early, just put it in a savings account for hot toys purchases. That would offer more flexibility for your budget as no one knows what could happen between the time you start paying for the figure and when it's released over a year later.

If you just buy it in one payment you don’t have to put any money down except $1 today. I guess that is the draw to purchase from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but until now that was the only choice available on their pre-orders. Not an issue on regular figures, but for this guy you’d owe $1149 + shipping once it was in stock. Most people would prefer to spread that out. I was expecting their plan to be like Sideshow’s, but its being unique provides another option that we didn’t have previously.

I think that's going a bit far. Why pay something off 6 months before you get it when you can hang onto the money and pay for it when the product releases. Instead of handing the money over to AE months early, just put it in a savings account for hot toys purchases. That would offer more flexibility for your budget as no one knows what could happen between the time you start paying for the figure and when it's released over a year later.

I agree, the time value of money argument trumps all, but I already have an aggressive savings philosophy. I was speaking in terms of spreading the cost of these out as evenly as possible such that they fit in my normal budget & I’m not “cheating” on that philosophy on a frequent basis. Of course sometimes that’s unavoidable, like if arrival dates change & multiple figures hit in the same month.

For me personally i like paying things off asap. I have had multiple figure show up months early in the past (around Christmas) and it made things a little tight. So now i buy a gift card when i have the cash and pay my orders off in full. Hulkbuster and the full Ghostbusters set shipped the same week but all i owed was shipping.

I have several things on order including the $1300 Ecto-1 that could ship early or late. So it's nice not worrying if the car, Thanos and the MK50 all ship months early (as things have been lately) because they are paid for. I know It's not for everyone as budgeting for these can be hard and some don't even like paying a NRD but it works for me.

I ended up preordering from Alter Ego, because I don’t want to put anything down on a figure 1.5 years away from being released. If it gets released in 2019 that’s fine.

But i still want to prepare now because I don’t want to miss the opportunity. I did pass on the first Hulkbuster, but that was a mistake.

End of the day everyone has a different way to handle budgeting if that is an obstacle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't collect one of these figures based on how rare it might or might not be - rereleases, reissues, repaints, etc are quite common with Hot Toys. If you think these are in any way comparable to a Marvel Select figure if they are more highly available, I'm unsure as to why you would be collecting them. If you derive your enjoyment of a figure based more on it's rarity (which you seem to do based on your comment about these being no different than Marvel Select) rather the quality of the figure and the representation of the characters you love then Hot Toys probably isn't the right product. You might look into getting into high-end statues if that's the case.

I also compared collecting these to collecting coins, and cars. Do you think I consider the Hulkbuster the same as a $65,000 car? You very much misinterpreted my comment. I didn't say the figures themselves are comparable to Marvel Select... no one reads anymore.

I also compared collecting these to collecting coins, and cars. Do you think I consider the Hulkbuster the same as a $65,000 car? You very much misinterpreted my comment. I didn't say the figures themselves are comparable to Marvel Select... no one reads anymore.

I read your post and I understand your viewpoint, but rarity is a relative term. In a broad view, ALL HT figures are rare. Also, those of us who collect them are pretty few and far between, and those that can justify a $1200 figure are even fewer. This re-release isn't going to significantly change that. If a few hundred people who missed out on this the first go around can grab it now, where's the harm? Odds are they're people who (a) frequent this forum & have shared useful info with the community and (b) you will never meet them in your lifetime.

Does the deluxe version of the Hulkbuster come with the jackhammer arm and the locking forearm, or do you need to buy those separately?

And I never said you compared the quality of the figures themselves to Marvel Selects... - this what what you said "but if they are available for everyone to get at any time, then (to me), it's no different than a Marvel Select figure from ToysRUs." My comment was related to your statement around the rarity of the figure.

Went ahead and POd this over at Timewalker Toys. Now for the about a year and a half wait which is ok with me as it gives me time to save up for it.

Back