1/6 Hot Toys - MMS195D1 - Iron Man 3: Iron Patriot Diecast Series Official Specs/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a flash myself. My lighting is a pair of lamps on tripods to either side of the tent, using the white tent sides as diffusers. I can rotate each one on its base to move the light around a bit, but basically I try to minimize any direct lighting to the backdrop. With the camera on a small tripod (Gorillapods rule), I use a two-second timer to make sure I'm not giggling it, and I can get away with no flash.

Really nice pics and great tips! What are you shooting with?

You can use a flash or more than one, but remote flashes- not one mounted on the camera. You want it lit from other angles then the one you are seeing it from.

Really nice pics and great tips! What are you shooting with?

Thanks! I use a Canon G15. It's far from high-end, but since I'm an amateur anyway I found it a great compromise between affordability and the features I wanted. Control over aperture settings, manual focus, bracketing, capturing CR2/RAW, etc. And I'm also constantly impressed at how much light it can scoop up even in traditionally crummy conditions. It's got a very effective sensor. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to kick their photography up a notch without having to put $2000+ into it.

Nice shots Road :clap

Thanks! I use a Canon G15. It's far from high-end, but since I'm an amateur anyway I found it a great compromise between affordability and the features I wanted. Control over aperture settings, manual focus, bracketing, capturing CR2/RAW, etc. And I'm also constantly impressed at how much light it can scoop up even in traditionally crummy conditions. It's got a very effective sensor. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to kick their photography up a notch without having to put $2000+ into it.

You don't sound like an amateur :lol. I'm in the market for a new camera so I appreciate the advice :hi5:

How do you feel the poseability is on this guy? Is he able to hold a solid pose without a stand? My only experience with a DC fig is the Tamashi C3PO and he stands extremely sturdily on his own. I hate using stands but the weight of this worries me

You don't sound like an amateur :lol. I'm in the market for a new camera so I appreciate the advice :hi5:

How do you feel the poseability is on this guy? Is he able to hold a solid pose without a stand? My only experience with a DC fig is the Tamashi C3PO and he stands extremely sturdily on his own. I hate using stands but the weight of this worries me

Haha, well I did get a side benefit that my job (VFX post-production) taught me a lot about light, composition, and digital processing. Oblique learning? But taking pictures of physical stuff is still different enough than what I do at work that I still spend a lot of time messing around and messing up along the way. :lol

Iron Patriot himself is one of sturdiest figures I've played with. The HT Iron Man line in general are some of the best stability-wise, and this one is right up there. Most importantly, his ankle joints are stiff, which means he stays standing. He never once toppled over while I was taking pictures, which is not something I can say about other figures, especially Sideshow Clones and anything that has an ankle joint as opposed to a solid boot. But HT seems to know that their Iron Men need to stay up... the tolerances on their ankle joints have always been excellent. And the extra angle IP can get with knees and elbows does seem to make quite a difference with range of motion.

But I too was nervous about IP toppling over and breaking something under his own weight. I was careful to balance each pose, then I didn't leave him standing in a potentially awkward pose if I left the table... but a lot of that proved to be overly careful and he never fell over. The obvious caveat is, the more extreme the pose, the more risky it is, and more care should be taken to balance it, especially to get the ankles and toes well-planted. But for general standing and even shooting poses? He's a dream subject. No worries at all. :)

Haha, well I did get a side benefit that my job (VFX post-production) taught me a lot about light, composition, and digital processing. Oblique learning? But taking pictures of physical stuff is still different enough than what I do at work that I still spend a lot of time messing around and messing up along the way. :lol

Iron Patriot himself is one of sturdiest figures I've played with. The HT Iron Man line in general are some of the best stability-wise, and this one is right up there. Most importantly, his ankle joints are stiff, which means he stays standing. He never once toppled over while I was taking pictures, which is not something I can say about other figures, especially Sideshow Clones and anything that has an ankle joint as opposed to a solid boot. But HT seems to know that their Iron Men need to stay up... the tolerances on their ankle joints have always been excellent. And the extra angle IP can get with knees and elbows does seem to make quite a difference with range of motion.

But I too was nervous about IP toppling over and breaking something under his own weight. I was careful to balance each pose, then I didn't leave him standing in a potentially awkward pose if I left the table... but a lot of that proved to be overly careful and he never fell over. The obvious caveat is, the more extreme the pose, the more risky it is, and more care should be taken to balance it, especially to get the ankles and toes well-planted. But for general standing and even shooting poses? He's a dream subject. No worries at all. :)

Thank again for the info :hi5:. As long as the ankles and knees are tight then I'm not too worried....

Ah.. PopCultKid.. A fellow stand hater. I avoid using the stands whenever possible!

... however s__t does happen. I'm anti-stand but sometimes there are casualties that can come with that. A couple of days ago a fig from a higher shelf took a dive, landed on my Iminime Blondie and cracked his hat. :mad: :monkey2

It's good to hear that Rhodey stands strong but I'm still going to arrange things where he's displayed in a safe spot

Is today Clint Eastwood's birthday? They are having a marathon of his Dirty Harry and Man with No Name films....

ipat24.JPG

Back