1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Thor: Ragnarok - Valkyrie Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a purist when it comes to Thor comics, but I have to say the casting choice doesn't excite me on first impression. The mythology of Valkyrie reaches way further than comics. The first nostalgic image that pops into my mind when I hear "Valkyrie" is from one of my favorite video games when I was a kid, Gauntlet. In the game she looked very much as she does in the comic, as she does in basically every image you'll see if you Google "Valkyrie mythology" or just simply "Valkyrie".

I had no problem with the race change for Heimdall. I love every second he was on screen and I'd love a figure. But in situations like Valkyrie, that's when race changes and gender bending feels like "forced diversity".

Fair. Doesn't bug me personally; in spite of being well-versed in Norse mythology and skaldic poetry, I just take it as-is. But that's not everyone's cup of tea. I do think this'll look sweet on the shelf in spite of the more subtle costume, based on the Marvel sampling I'm building up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I watched the trailer, I had no idea this was supposed to be Valkyrie. Another unnecessary change due to forced diversity by Marvel. This figure is an easy pass.

For me, I just don't know how I'll feel about the character, so it's a wait and see the movie first type thing. Same with Hela, ultimately. I don't like to commit to buying new characters without first seeing the movie.

I'm glad they're making them, though. Would've rather had a Nebula or Mantis reveal than either, personally, since I love GOTG so much. But it really is awesome that they're making these two. And I could very well end up wanting both of them.

As far as the race change, no issue for me. Wasn't with Heimdall and it isn't here.

Fair. Doesn't bug me personally; in spite of being well-versed in Norse mythology and skaldic poetry, I just take it as-is. But that's not everyone's cup of tea. I do think this'll look sweet on the shelf in spite of the more subtle costume, based on the Marvel sampling I'm building up.

Sounds like you are way more well versed than me. I just have general knowledge of the mythology that started with D&D and comics, and led into casual research out of interest.

I'm not invested in her iconic image as I am the more well known or popular characters (*cough* MJ), but I still think she should be much more like Antiope, and much less like Tessa. But from the trailer I sense that they are going in a different direction than who the character is in the books and mythology anyway. So maybe it'll be a good fit for how they're reimagining her.

In Norse mythology, Heimdall is described as the "whitest of all gods", Thor is red-headed, and Loki isn't Odin's adopted son. At this point, a black Valkyrie isn't really the point to draw the line :lol

Without opening up too deep a discussion, I'd say there are obvious good reasons why they choose the direction they did by casting Elba. I don't think "the whitest of the Gods" would have went over too well on the big screen in this type of movie. But they did cast Thor, Loki and Odin well, and did them justice based on the comic's version of the mythology IMO

No, I really like Idris Elba as Heimdall. I think he's great and they made the right choice. But trying to claim that Tessa shouldn't have been cast because of the myths is silly. They're basically taking the names and a few random details from the real mythology and have been from the start.

No, I really like Idris Elba as Heimdall. I think he's great and they made the right choice. But trying to claim that Tessa shouldn't have been cast because of the myths is silly. They're basically taking the names and a few random details from the real mythology and have been from the start.

We talking about the source material, the Marvel Thor comics, not the actual Norse myth. I want a character who is originally White to be cast by a White person. Same as I want a Black character who is originally Black to be cast by a Black person, a Hispanic a Hispanic, an Asian an Asian and so on. It's not about being racist, it's about being close to the source material. And this is not Valkyrie from the Thor comics. Not even close.

Nick Fury, Heimdall, Mordo. Changing the race of characters is something the MCU just does, and has done since the very beginning. It doesn't invalidate the comics, you know. Those still exist.

Nick Fury, Heimdall, Mordo. Changing the race of characters is something the MCU just does, and has done since the very beginning. It doesn't invalidate the comics, you know. Those still exist.

Nick Fury I can let slide because the MCU is more based on the Marvel Ultimate universe where Nick Fury was Black. In one of the issues, the members where talking about which celebrities would play as them in a movie and Nick Fury said Same L Jackson for him. So SLJ as Nick Fury is acceptable. All the other characters with a sudden race change I don't like.

Who-else-could-be-this-badass.jpg

But this is Valkyrie in the Ultimate universe

3616966-2273163-valkyrie.jpg

Not trying to start a race war or anything (I'm Asian myself). I just don't like when movie studios change a character race from the original source material to be more "diversified." I didn't want Iron Fist from the Netflix show to turn Asian as many others wanted. I wanted Danny Rand to be White like he was in the comics.

Nick Fury I can let slide because the MCU is more based on the Marvel Ultimate universe where Nick Fury was Black. In one of the issues, the members where talking about which celebrities would play as them in a movie and Nick Fury said Same L Jackson for him. So SLJ as Nick Fury is acceptable. All the other characters with a sudden race change I don't like.

View attachment 354587

But this is Valkyrie in the Ultimate universe

View attachment 354589

Not trying to start a race war or anything (I'm Asian myself). I just don't like when movie studios change a character race from the original source material to be more "diversified." I didn't want Iron Fist from the Netflix show to turn Asian as many others wanted. I wanted Danny Rand to be White like he was in the comics.

Since I love blondes, I'd definitely would have preferred a blonde on the big screen...

We talking about the source material, the Marvel Thor comics, not the actual Norse myth. I want a character who is originally White to be cast by a White person. Same as I want a Black character who is originally Black to be cast by a Black person, a Hispanic a Hispanic, an Asian an Asian and so on. It's not about being racist, it's about being close to the source material. And this is not Valkyrie from the Thor comics. Not even close.

I see what you're saying; you want the films to look like the comics, and it's a totally fair opinion. Mine differs:

Shakespeare is often considered highbrow now, but I believe his work was very much populist entertainment back in the days of the Globe Theatre.

I see comics -- with their myths, heroes, sex and violence -- in a very similar vein.

I adore MJ as a redhead, but if the story and acting are good, I don't care how she looks on-screen. It's one of many worlds.

Comics have umpteen universes and continuities. The MCU is just one of many.

It's smart from a business standpoint, makes sense demographically, and reflects something back to...I don't know -- kids -- that should maybe see someone in mainstream entertainment that looks *just like them*.

I don't see the harm. I do see the benefits.

FWIW I'm not a far left SJW living a permanently offended life.

I think (to paraphrase someone on this very forum from a couple years ago) that Bruce Lee and Luke Skywalker are for everyone and their colour doesn't matter.

But maybe seeing mainstream entertainment that reflects the world we live in, instead of a paradigm and demographic that sometimes dates back to the '40s, isn't a bad thing.

I keep hearing "forced" in regards to diverse casting and re-imagining and I don't buy it.

Sure, it's a calculated decision -- this is Disney we're talking about. But I don't see it as a "forced" decision, it's just one of a hundred decisions balanced against creativity and profit margins that are made every time companies invest millions and millions of dollars to create the entertainment we love.

If some fans don't like it, I'm not offended or scandalized and I don't lose any sleep over it. Just my opinion. :)

I'm more disappointed shes not wearing that costume than anything else :naughty

Honestly the costume shes wearing is pretty bland and generic. :sleep

I'm more disappointed shes not wearing that costume than anything else :naughty

Honestly the costume shes wearing is pretty bland and generic. :sleep

I mean....she is in some wasteland full of warriors.
Look at Thor's costume, it's almost monotone...

Pretty sure it's a plot device since you can see Loki wearing extravagant clothing while the others wear battered, sometimes torn clothing.

The whole movie is colorful from the get-go which would most likely translate as a sign of wealth/status and a pretty big theme of the movie.

I honestly love this figure. That is easily one of the best, most faithful headsculpts they've done. I want more side characters too. Someone mentioned Maria Hill and she's one of my favorite figures. I'm just going on the figure. I haven't seen the movie yet and since I've never been a die hard fan comic Valkyrie, I could care less about the race change thing. I just hope the ongoing whining about race change doesn't effect this figure being made. I hope she does. I'm definitely getting her as long as she isn't meaningless in the film.

I don't really care so much about her race. Especially since they changed the race of Hemidall and Idris Elba absolutely killed it.

What I do care about is the fierce intensity of Valkyrie that seems to be lost in this actress. Honestly she comes across pretty bland and reminds me of some random pop star. I really can't see her winning a gladiator fight or being a believable badass. It doesn't help that her and Thor have zero chemistry, so I have a very hard time believing that this is his match.

If they were going to pair Thor up with a character like this, why not just use Sif? A role that Jamie Alexander already has been awesome in and fits the same archtype.

I'll wait until I've seen the movie but I'll probably get her if she's not totally unlikable. I mean, that headsculpt is gorgeous! *__* And I need more kickass females on my shelves. :D

I don't really care so much about her race. Especially since they changed the race of Hemidall and Idris Elba absolutely killed it.

What I do care about is the fierce intensity of Valkyrie that seems to be lost in this actress. Honestly she comes across pretty bland and reminds me of some random pop star. I really can't see her winning a gladiator fight or being a believable badass. It doesn't help that her and Thor have zero chemistry, so I have a very hard time believing that this is his match.

If they were going to pair Thor up with a character like this, why not just use Sif? A role that Jamie Alexander already has been awesome in and fits the same archtype.

How can you argue Tessa and Chris have no chemistry when we haven't even seen them in a scene yet? :lol Though I do agree on the Sif thing - if Thor was going to have any "new" love interest, I'd rather it be Sif

Back