1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ha! I *just* read that exact comic yesterday! Was jonesing to rewatch ESB after getting the figure and decided to experience it a little differently. It was quite fun. I’ve had that comic for years and for some reason never read it until now. Makes me really want to get some more original marvel comics from the era. I found it much more fun (and I like the artwork more) than the modern comics they’re putting out.

My ESB Vader will arrive this Wednesday, I'm pretty excited. Just wish Hot Toys had an Admiral Piett to go with him.
BSHX8nA.jpg

If you want to read the classic marvel run there are reprints in trade paperbacks that are pretty affordable. Marvel is also going back and reprinting them in their epic collection trade paperback series. They don't go in order on the release schedule but the issues are collected in chronological order. I am getting a lot of the books I read as a kid that way.

If you want to read the classic marvel run there are reprints in trade paperbacks that are pretty affordable. Marvel is also going back and reprinting them in their epic collection trade paperback series. They don't go in order on the release schedule but the issues are collected in chronological order. I am getting a lot of the books I read as a kid that way.

Yep, the reprints are what I was referring to. The thing is, you have to do your research on those. Some of the ones Marvel has been putting out recently are recolored with more “realistic” (and MUCH blander) colors. Personally I prefer the zany psychedelic coloring of the original issues. Thankfully there ARE collected volumes that retain the original coloring. You just have to be a smart consumer and educate yourself on what exactly you’re getting.

For me the helmet sits too low which in turn gives the illusion that it's bigger than it actually is. I raised it up a tad....maybe a little too high in the front but it's only a mock up and needs more tweaking....but i think it looks better.

View attachment 430313View attachment 430314

For those interested the stock fitting is a piece of rubber which pops out easy enough..

View attachment 430315

The lid orientation looks much better there, matrix69! Seeing the back of it actually extend up and away from the shoulders makes quite a difference. Lowering the front just a bit would probably look even better, imo; especially if you decide to file away the widow's peak.

Glad to see that you're already in the modifying phase with this one. I'm sure you'll bring out the best in it.

Anyone who bought ESB Vader from SS - Were you able to get a pack out (double boxed?)

For me the helmet sits too low which in turn gives the illusion that it's bigger than it actually is. I raised it up a tad....maybe a little too high in the front but it's only a mock up and needs more tweaking....but i think it looks better.

For those interested the stock fitting is a piece of rubber which pops out easy enough..

View attachment 430315

That's definitely looking better. The low-sitting ESB helmet was one of the things that became obvious in your Vader line-up.

The one reluctance I have with it is that the figure is already almost 13 3/4" tall, and raising the helmet may get it closer to that 14" mark that feels too tall. Your custom Vader seems about the right height (and proportion) at roughly 13 1/4" but he's the little guy in the line-up, especially next to the RO Vader, which seems to be almost as giant as the old SSC ANH figure, which I believe was a bit over 14".

Raising the helmet may also aid head/neck articulation - the HT ESB Vader seems to often be "looking up" in pics because of the way the shoulder armor and helmet meet.

Are you planning to mod the HT ESB helmet at all?

View attachment 430315
I'm probably one of the few guys who likes Vader's helmet sitting lower. To me it makes his helmet look more like a futuristic cyborg samurai helmet. Samurai helms usually sat low. Just a personal preference thing. I actually lowered my custom ANH Vader helmet to look more like a samurai's helm.

The way the helmet is fitted looks almost perfect. I also found putting a piece of paper in the neck socket helped prop the head / helmet up a bit too.

Congrats on everyone getting their figures?
So does the film accuracy of the helmet depend on how high/low it's placed?

Back