1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah even putting aside my issues with the mask, something about the figure's overall proportions just isn't working for me. Not sure if it's the old problem of the armor being scaled for a taller figure, like we saw with previous Vaders, or something else...

Yeah, I honestly think getting this figure’s chest box, gloves, belt, and a different codpiece, and putting those on the R1 Vader, would look better. Still wouldn’t be 100% accurate of course, but I do think it’d to the eye look more ESB Vader-esque than the actual ESB Vader figure.

Those videos solidified my position of never taking that diorama base out of the box. It looks horrible. I’ll just display him freestanding.

Again, I need to make clear: I am not trying to provoke or be a troll here. I'm just genuinely curious what it is that I'm missing.

Of course your not trolling. You pics are helping me a lot come to a decision.

Anyone in this thread who'd pre-ordered this and paid money for it or considering buying it can bash the fig all they want as far as I'm concerned, this is a review thread and not only about making the people who bought it feel good about their decision.

I'm going to lose about 50$ if I cancel, so that alone makes me feel like I can criticize the figure all I want.

This whole damn thread

1ighfi.jpg

Well, strictly based on pictures since I’ve never seen either in person, these are the things I personally like better on the new ESB sculpt over the old sculpt (as far as I know the ANH V1, V2, and R1 all use the same sculpt).

-The assymetrical cheeks are more accurate.
-The eyes are smaller and more accurate (sorry Lord Valefor, I don’t know what you see. They eyes look way too big on the old sculpt and look spot on on the new ESB sculpt, IMO)
-The neck is the proper length (no more giraffe neck Vader)
-The grating pattern behind the “teeth” is now correct
-The general shape of the dome, and its more leaned back position looks more accurate.
-This may not be universal and I don’t have time to dig up and post the pics right now, but when I compared a good closeup of the ESB helmet to a good closeup of the ANH V2, the details were so much sharper on the ESB. I was rather shocked at just how soft the ANH V2 sculpt was in comparison.

That being said, I think the R1 figure still looks GREAT. And it’s a real show stopper if you resposition the dome. If I could get either for retail, it’d be a tough choice as each figure hasn’t things I really like about it over the other.

But aside from the tusks, I DO think the ESB helmet looks like it might be the best yet. But the tusks really do have a huge impact on the look of the face and I really hope they can be fixed.

Oh, I also wanted to point out the side by side by side pic isn’t the best comparison since the ESB helmet is at a different angle (camera is lower) than the other two, so of course it doesn’t line up as well.

Thank you for the response. You make some very good points. I completely agree with you about the size of the neck and the better grating behind the teeth. And I'll need to scrutinize the overall sharpness of the new sculpt versus the old one, but I can see how you'd be correct about that too.

I disagree about the dome. The positioning is off in a way that makes it impossible to match up with movie reference without the mask angle being wrong as a result. I could demonstrate this with photos and reference lines, but nobody here cares enough for me to bother taking the time. And the cheeks were already asymmetrical on the old sculpt, but yeah, this new one might have emphasized it a bit more (not entirely sure to what extent because camera angles affect this immensely). Either way, the cheeks are flawed on both sculpts - though perhaps in slightly different ways.

I know the camera angle is different in the HT ESB pic that I used to compare. That's why I said as much in my post. ;) But it was the closest angle, and best photo, that I've seen with this new figure.

I just won't be able to get past how long the mask looks because of the nose/teeth/tusk proportions and size issues on the ESB helmet. As others have pointed out, there have been human figures that HT has nailed far more accurately than Vader. And they've now released four versions of Vader. It's crazy to me that they haven't produced one single helmet yet that is as convincing as their new 1/4 ROTJ seems. I think getting a helmet done right should be easier than getting a Tarkin, Leia, Sparrow, or any other human-based head sculpt done right. Especially by attempt #4. Oh well.

Given how well you seem to know/like Vader, how have you been able to resist getting one by now? Great discipline on your part. :lol Thank you again for the thoughtful response. Very insightful and helpful. :duff

Of course your not trolling. You pics are helping me a lot come to a decision.

Anyone in this thread who'd pre-ordered this and paid money for it or considering buying it can bash the fig all they want as far as I'm concerned, this is a review thread and not only about making the people who bought it feel good about their decision.

I'm going to lose about 50$ if I cancel, so that alone makes me feel like I can criticize the figure all I want.

Thanks, Lord Valefor. :duff I still think maybe you should consider keeping the figure. The base alone will likely sell for over $100 US. And the light-up saber arm will be in high demand too.

View attachment 424177

I feel like some people are seeing something that I'm failing to pick up on. To anyone who thinks the ESB helmet is an improvement in sculpt over the previous HT offerings: please help me understand. Is it something that only shows up from the front, or at some other angle?

Again, I need to make clear: I am not trying to provoke or be a troll here. I'm just genuinely curious what it is that I'm missing.

That settled it, that and the last 2 You Tube reviews

Just sent my cancellation e-mail

I'll keep the Rogue One. It's not perfect but it has a commanding presence, the cape is really nice and it will do until a perfect 1:6 Vader comes along. I'm not brave enough to re-position the dome though

Attachments

• cancelled.jpg
    cancelled.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 197
A “perfect” Vader will never come along, because the “perfect” one is always....

The next one.

Because on the next one, they’ll rectify that teeny tiny detail they got wrong on the previous one.

RO is close enough then

I'm thinking of getting the 1:4..it's perfect. I thought it was like 30 inches high but it's only 20 .Big but not huge

RO is close enough then

I'm thinking of getting the 1:4..it's perfect. I thought it was like 30 inches high but it's only 20 .Big but not huge

The OCD runs high in this hobby, especially with characters that you know will be done into the ground. People always strive for the perfect rendition of the character with the highest amount of minute details that are correct, so every time the next version of that character comes out, people are always biting their nails in suspense, already packing up their previous version because the new version will boast something better.

It’s essentially like electronic devices and cell phones.

Although of course, there’s the occasional misstep where the newer version isn’t necessarily the better version, and in fact is a bit of a regression.

Well, I’m glad I could help! I guess I helped to enable, while others helped to disable. Nice balance in here [emoji38]

IndyMOS has brought balance to 1/6!

RebelSpy's photos helped too.

There's something about this Vader that works for me. First thing I'll do is strip it down and futz it.

That sounds wrong.

I say get the 1:4! It likely to be the best OT Vader from Hot Toys ever imo. I personally just cant drop over $500 on a figure even if its Vader. That's statue level money right there.

I'll be perfectly happy with this Vader unless the future 1:6 Rotj is a 100% copy of the 1:4 one.
:fireworks

Is there even a thread for the 1:4 one yet besides the unofficial one?

IndyMOS has brought balance to 1/6!

RebelSpy's photos helped too.

There's something about this Vader that works for me. First thing I'll do is strip it down and futz it.

That sounds wrong.

At least everyone on the fence is getting input from all sides. Those who have it will say what they like and don’t like with it. And the pictures that have been posted help give a better idea of what it looks like.

You may or may not have sounded wrong there. It’s ok though [emoji108]

The base is actually what I’m looking forward to most. :lol

It just looks so cheap. Not sure I can get away with putting that in my collection without diminishing the clean and minimalist look I have going. Almost all my figures are freestanding anyway with the exception of those in flying poses. I use dynamic stands for them. If posed correctly, there’s no need for a stand anyway.

Back