1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like slip covers on blu ray’s I love when HT releases contain the “plaque faceplate” with the name of the character on their stands. As collectors we look for the littlest details and these details (plaque) removed from ESB Vader, Yoda, Wolf Predator etc. or even a base for R2 are missing elements that I wish would be added to their releases. Its not a make or break and I know many do not use the stand to care but for me I like those details. Curious what HT thought process is when deciding add or remove them. In the case of this Vader it would have been a nice tough to add the faceplate to the bottom on the stand. I guess in a way it makes it look “official”!

Other collectors feel my thoughts?

Saw HT's pics on Instagram, did they cut out Bespin Luke from the product pics? Just thought it was interesting considering they go hand in hand together.

Is there any chance of them actually improving the sculpt for the inevitable RotJ release? We’ve been on this one forever now and I’m hoping we’ll finally get something more accurate.

Or perhaps they’ll start all over again after RotJ is released with a new sculpt (or after a RotS version?). An year hasn’t gone by without a Vader in some time, and he always sells out eventually, doubt they’ll let that money maker go.

485832f0c2abc797e0e94bec193ca425.jpg

9c309fd6c3db580a4fda3fecbec904d1.jpg

b68b05b12d8d1e226c40a19083a66706.jpg
20a3c6fd751bcf598d5b3372597d192e.jpg

374e431c327e6c0f6440d3e95fa52eb7.jpg

9673595bf14d95b9872edaeabad9fe40.jpg

91299b43244133109f214df1c2cc3492.jpg

Definately not tempted. One thing HT fails to get correct is a girthy, big Vader.

In sixth scale I'll stick with what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess, more foam padding that prevents his arms from going up?

Also the length on the limbs.

But no this is a SS ver 2 body. And I would argue that it has better articulation than some of the HTs.

0a782feaf45a75a9890b6d051adfa0d5.jpg

98504b24fded83a9d3bfab271b21f113.jpg

7dd21bceb67744a3765e6455744c510e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's crazy. Couldn't they have linked all the light to that battery pack hidden on his hip? Weird and lazy construction there.

I think people might be right about waiting for the DX Jedi version. This is everyone's favorite Vader and for some reason it seems... rushed and not well thought out. Especially the helmet's ability to remain on the head. Also find the lack of even subtle paintwork (yellows and pinks) on the back of the head... disturbing.

Perhaps I'm understanding the timed release in HK with US release.
Rushed and lazy are my feelings too...and i much preferred the old SS light up system of one switch for all...
I'm pretty sure the box at the back of his belt is for the chest.
But in the video the chest box dosen't light up until the switch higher up on the back is pressed...i don't know it's all bewitching to me..

Like slip covers on blu ray’s I love when HT releases contain the “plaque faceplate” with the name of the character on their stands. As collectors we look for the littlest details and these details (plaque) removed from ESB Vader, Yoda, Wolf Predator etc. or even a base for R2 are missing elements that I wish would be added to their releases. Its not a make or break and I know many do not use the stand to care but for me I like those details. Curious what HT thought process is when deciding add or remove them. In the case of this Vader it would have been a nice tough to add the faceplate to the bottom on the stand. I guess in a way it makes it look “official”!

Other collectors feel my thoughts?

I hate them. I find they look tacky. Also I am not a fan of the metal plates as they are poorly glued on. Oddly enough they didn’t bother me on he black oval stands. I miss those.

Is there any chance of them actually improving the sculpt for the inevitable RotJ release? We’ve been on this one forever now and I’m hoping we’ll finally get something more accurate.

Or perhaps they’ll start all over again after RotJ is released with a new sculpt (or after a RotS version?). An year hasn’t gone by without a Vader in some time, and he always sells out eventually, doubt they’ll let that money maker go.

My guess is that those seams in the facemask would indicate that this sculpt is the one they've already been using for an ROTJ full-reveal helmet. Add that to the fact that the Jedi Luke promo pics have him next to a Vader with a ROTJ chest box (slightly different than this ESB one), and I'd bet the ROTJ figure is probably all but finished. Also, the excessive pleats on the tunic are a better match for ROTJ. So, imo, it'll likely be this same facemask sculpt (except that the seams will actually make sense :lol).

I really don't understand this ESB version. At no point in the movie does Vader have only the back of his head showing while still wearing the facemask. So why have an ESB figure with all of the greeblies on the back of the neck if the helmet used for nearly the entire movie didn't even have those? And if it were for a meditation chamber scene, the facemask would come off, and the chair would have been the prop (not the gantry). This release seems disjointed. He's got seams on the masks that shouldn't be there, a back-of-the-head reveal with facemask on (which was never on screen), excessive pleating on the tunic that is better suited to ROTJ Vader, and what seems to me to be short arms that make the classic gantry pose look weirdly off.

But I like the belt and chest box. Hope to get those when they get parted out.

I was so looking forward to an ESB Vader but I think this will be a pass for me. Something about the helmet just doesn’t look right to me, like it is oversized to accommodate the removable lid feature, which itself still baffles me. And I bet it will only take a couple times of accidentally knocking it off when posing the figure for it to get scuff marks. It’s hard not to just wait to see how the ROTJ version will look since we all know there will be one in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally get waiting for the DX Vader.

But you all know how this goes. In hand and in scale it will look miles better. Those cuts in the tusks won't be so noticeable when the mask is the size of your thumb. Box details look good. Materials look good. The unattached helmet will be the biggest WTF aspect to this I think... but a little blu-tac will solve that forever.

I'll admit, I had hoped for better based on these pictures, and I'm not blown away. But its ESB Vader. And I think it will look better in hand.

I wonder how many more ESB Vader's they will make before they reveal the DX ROTJ Vader?

I'm still running on the intention of a Vader from each of the three main movies. Yes, I said Main -- for the jokesters out there that means ANH, ESB and ROTJ. :)

The initial pics had me worried, but I agree wor. It will look good in hand and properly futzed. Even undersized, that base is nice and this will look awesome on a shelf. I will keep my order and regret not waiting for the esb version 2 when it is announced in 2020.

Back