1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to break down the prices that were in Japan for vader:
ANH = ¥39,000
RO = ¥35,000
Vader from Tarkin 2 pack = ¥33,000
ESB = ¥29,000

There is NO WAY that the price in Japan is going to be less than in the United States. Every Hot Toys release in Japan exceeds the price offered in the USA between $20-60. Why is that the case? Probably higher tariffs.

The Rogue One Vader was ¥35,000 here. ESB Vader is ¥29,000. That’s probably the difference you’ll see Stateside when it comes to pricing.

I was going by a company here in the US that will remain nameless to get that estimate. Let’s just say you need rewards.

Yes, that same company charges that much less than the prices in Japan. The only plus side to here is shipping is free most of the time (but we don’t get reward points like said American company offers).

$299 at least...

Did anyone else notice the gap in the tusks? They're not on the original mask but do line up perfectly for what would be a reveal helmet!

I doubt we'll get a reveal here, so it's probably Hot Toys thinking ahead and reusing the same face down the road for the inevitable Jedi version.

Gap: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=378856

No gap: https://marciokenobi.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/56.jpg

Reveal: https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_470,q_auto:good,w_620/ooam4p1ghpypqousehvw.jpg

The version from Rogue One came with a bit less in comparison to the first version which is why I think it was less. The first version came with the Interogation Droid and the sound feature which I think jacked up the price. It also had a nicer base in comparison to the generic one from Rogue One (though that one had a nice backdrop). The new one I feel for sure that the base will add some cost but I bet won’t be as high as the first version. I looked back and forgot that the original Vader was $300. I don’t think the new one will get quite there. I’m still going $280 but who knows.

I think it's fully appropriate that they didn't include a full unmasked portrait with this. Beyond the fact that it wouldn't be in keeping with the film this is from, the actual reveal I found to be one of the biggest letdowns of my young movie going life at that time. The hint of a reveal in ESB was epic and fueled the imagination. Like some much else in Jedi, the full reveal just kind of peeed all over it. I don't want to look at Vader and think of a fat, pasty faced egghead under there whining about how much suddenly cares about his son.

Unfortunately, while I approve of the way they handle that, It doesn't look like there is going to be a good hand selection for him if he were put into a meditation chamber pose. You would need hands that either cup his knees or cup the end of the armrests of his seat. None of these here look like they will work for that.

I think we'll see a $249.99 price point. People are expecting more, it'll hit the same price as Rogue One Vader people will start posting "At that price? Sold!" and "I was expecting more, brought!"

Looks like Hot Toys is going with a dome for this ESB Vader that has similar (if not exact) proportions to their ANH helmet dome. The dome proportionality has consistently been my biggest gripe with the HT Vader helmet. It seems oversized - and enough so to be distracting. I tried to find a screen shot from ESB to match the angle of the main HT promo pic (and also a similar angle from the Sideshow ESB figure). Didn't find an exact match (and don't have the patience to take my own screens from the BluRay), but I found something close. In order to match it up as much as possible, I had to invert the HT image horizontally and slightly rotate the SS image. I lined up the faces as best as I could (eye, nose plug, & tusk levels). Maybe it's all in the angles, but the size/flare/proportions of the HT dome seems like too much. Not quite Dark Helmet from Spaceballs . . . but still. I have both the HT ANH and SS ROTJ helmets, and the difference in hand strikes me the same way when comparing to movie stills. The HT figure here seems superior in every other way, but the dome continues to bug me. Is it just me, or has this been a gripe that others have had as well? Sorry if it's a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam, but I haven't come across it.

VaderCompare1.jpg

I think it's fully appropriate that they didn't include a full unmasked portrait with this. Beyond the fact that it wouldn't be in keeping with the film this is from, the actual reveal I found to be one of the biggest letdowns of my young movie going life at that time. The hint of a reveal in ESB was epic and fueled the imagination. Like some much else in Jedi, the full reveal just kind of peeed all over it. I don't want to look at Vader and think of a fat, pasty faced egghead under there whining about how much suddenly cares about his son.

Unfortunately, while I approve of the way they handle that, It doesn't look like there is going to be a good hand selection for him if he were put into a meditation chamber pose. You would need hands that either cup his knees or cup the end of the armrests of his seat. None of these here look like they will work for that.

I thought the full reveal worked well in the movie, since he needed to be this kindlier old man you could imagine being redeemed... but it's not exactly how I'd want to display a Vader figure. Unless people are expecting another more intimidating looking Anakin like the Sideshow Vader gave us or something.

Looks like Hot Toys is going with a dome for this ESB Vader that has similar (if not exact) proportions to their ANH helmet dome. The dome proportionality has consistently been my biggest gripe with the HT Vader helmet. It seems oversized - and enough so to be distracting. I tried to find a screen shot from ESB to match the angle of the main HT promo pic (and also a similar angle from the Sideshow ESB figure). Didn't find an exact match (and don't have the patience to take my own screens from the BluRay), but I found something close. In order to match it up as much as possible, I had to invert the HT image horizontally and slightly rotate the SS image. I lined up the faces as best as I could (eye, nose plug, & tusk levels). Maybe it's all in the angles, but the size/flare/proportions of the HT dome seems like too much. Not quite Dark Helmet from Spaceballs . . . but still. I have both the HT ANH and SS ROTJ helmets, and the difference in hand strikes me the same way when comparing to movie stills. The HT figure here seems superior in every other way, but the dome continues to bug me. Is it just me, or has this been a gripe that others have had as well? Sorry if it's a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam, but I haven't come across it.

View attachment 379203

Perfect.
I hope HT changes it

It’s strange that some are accepting of the non-full reveal (because it’s accurate to the film) and are also accepting of the grooves (eyesores, imo)in the front of the mask (not accurate to the film). Me thinks some are looking at this Vader through amber tinted lenses. [emoji6]
I do think of all HT Vaders, although a very nice figure, as it looks now, it’s the least accurate. I’m guessing that they just haven’t gotten around to making the new dome yet, as well as getting rid of the placeholders ( like the Rogue One boots, ANH dome).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 379203

Spot on, exactly my thoughts. Just gonna have to wait till they get it right. And considering they release a new one every year no one is in danger of 'missing out' with any rendition of Vader.

Also as much as people rip on the SS one I have to say it does look better to me in that comparison, and also in the one WIP earlier in the thread. Yeah the mouth grill is a bit oversized and the angle of the dome seems a bit off, but it's nothing compared to the massively oversized dome on the HT. Well, either way none are perfect yet.

I really hope that Hot Toys fixes the issue with the widows peak.

But if that doesn't happen, we're still pretty lucky that the dome is removable. I'd order a new helmet from TA and just dremel the widows peak off. Down side, you gotta pay extra and exert more effort.

View attachment 379203

When did SS do an ESB figure????

Looks good and a buy for me, it'll look great with the DX Luke. I'm really hoping the ESB Fett comes out since I missed out on the ROTJ version.

Back