1/6 Hot Toys Exclusive - Star Wars - Shadow Trooper Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about the SSC Stormtrooper? I guess you took the description of Medi Stormtrooper from the SSC one. The same SSC one with inaccurate fugly helmet modeled after the freaky F/X. The one having a weirdly shaped armor you really need to futz with boiling water/hot air to fit somewhat on the body. The one with a floppy body that cannot hold itself or a blaster properly. The SSC Stormie is indeed the best Stormtrooper. In Bizzaro universe...
So your complain about the bad Medi bodies as compared to Sideshows?:slap:rotfl I have only four or five Medis, but those bodies are much better than ~70-80% of my Sideshow figures. They can stand on their own and hold up their arms for a pose which even the one of the last clones I got last year can't, even though it's one of their latest releases.

The Sideshow stormies armor look like slightly tweaked Hasbro's to me, Medi armor looks much better albeit diminutive. But still the white ones (SSC) with a few fixes can look pretty good. For some reason I could never get over that with the Sandtrooper (still I own one) and the Shadow Trooper. The matte surface looks extra bad in piss yellow and black I guess.

No. Sideshow currently makes the best troopers. They are the only ones making troopers. Medi stopped ages ago. They both have their issues, I have 2 Medi stormies as well. But pointless comping them to this (and their bodies are **** as well). The nearest current point of comparison are SS troopers, their newest ones.

I just bought the Echo and Fives 2-pack. I had sworn off more SSC troopers because of the crappy bodies, but they were just super-duper cheap so I couldn't help myself.

Haven't opened the box yet, will probably do that today or tomorrow. Based on experience with my other Sideshow troopers there is about a 50% chance that one of them can stand on his own and hold the weapon in any pose without the arms sagging down either right away or after a short while. If they both can it will be a first.

Good review, liking the look of the Hot Toys figure all the more..., that Medicom figure is shockingly bad, didn't realise till now.

..that Medicom figure is shockingly bad, didn't realise till now.

Yeah, Medi were cool for their time in their own way, but they have aged horribly. Someone should post a comparison with the SS Trooper, even a Sand Trooper.
They are the same scale and make for an interesting comparison. Current Top End V Current Top End. The Medi is too old Imo for a meaningful comparison of any kind. I have the two them here (Ht & SS) and it's very interesting to note the differences on similar armour pieces as well as finish. The HT body is way better than any that have come before but they may have lost some detail in the armour. It might just be the black gloss on this though. Regardless this is a fantastic figure. love mine. Bring on his white counterparts!

Yeah, Medi were cool for their time in their own way, but they have aged horribly. Someone should post a comparison with the SS Trooper, even a Sand Trooper.
They are the same scale and make for an interesting comparison. Current Top End V Current Top End. The Medi is too old Imo for a meaningful comparison of any kind. I have the two them here (Ht & SS) and it's very interesting to note the differences on similar armour pieces as well as finish. The HT body is way better than any that have come before but they may have lost some detail in the armour. It might just be the black gloss on this though. Regardless this is a fantastic figure. love mine. Bring on his white counterparts!

I'm waiting to see if I get this one still or not (on the wait list), I've got the Sideshow version though & have a Hot Toys Stormtrooper on preorder..., happy I'll have their standard trooper figure (if nothing else).

I'm waiting to see if I get this one still or not (on the wait list), I've got the Sideshow version though & have a Hot Toys Stormtrooper on preorder..., happy I'll have their standard trooper figure (if nothing else).

Well, if this is anything to go by (and it is) the Stormtroopers are going to be pretty fantastic, the base needs a special mention as well. Nicest SW base i've seen. They join together and you can take the name plate section off. :rock

Well, if this is anything to go by (and it is) the Stormtroopers are going to be pretty fantastic, the base needs a special mention as well. Nicest SW base i've seen. They join together and you can take the name plate section off. :rock

I didn't realise that, I thought the bases were just a standard entity, good to know though..., thanks. :)

Might be dropping my pre order.....I have one from Asia, I am unsure I need a second. Good thing for the 5 - 7 week delay, I have time to think on it

Poor medi, the red-headed stepchild you can use as punching bag to prove the worth and superiority of your own favorite brand of toys. :wink1::lol

Of course in this case (compared to HT) it sounds more likely. I will pick up mine from the post office today and see for myself.

Is that a common thing with figures sticking to the plastic tray? I had the exact same thing happen to the dome on my Deluxe Vader, it had welded together and I had to tear it off and parts of the dome is still fused in the plastic tray. It has only happend to me once, but I haven't been collecting for that long and don't own that many figures compared to some people here.

Last edited:
No. Sideshow currently makes the best troopers. They are the only ones making troopers. Medi stopped ages ago. They both have their issues, I have 2 Medi stormies as well. But pointless comping them to this (and their bodies are **** as well). The nearest current point of comparison are SS troopers, their newest ones.

Oh, and I forgot about the SSC Stormie tiny cod piece...:wink1:

Between SSC, Marmit and Medicom Stormtrooper figure, for me the first will be Marmit, then comes Medi and last is the SSC. I'll see about HT when in hand.

Awesome review, as always. I had no idea the quality of the Medicom figure was that bad. The difference between the two is unbelievable.

Back