1/6 Hot Toys Exclusive - Star Wars - Shadow Trooper Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if this is anything to go by (and it is) the Stormtroopers are going to be pretty fantastic, the base needs a special mention as well. Nicest SW base i've seen. They join together and you can take the name plate section off. :rock
The bases for these aren't necessarily my favorite (a bit plain looking in my opinion), but its sort of cool that they can be joined together.

Awesome review, as always. I had no idea the quality of the Medicom figure was that bad. The difference between the two is unbelievable.

He's comparing a figure made in 2007 to one made in 2014/2015, hardly fair. BTW, here's what Hot Toys was producing themselves a year later in 2008. In case it's hard to tell, it's suppose to be Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible. Would love to see him review this figure. The paint stickiness aside, I think the Medicom has held up a lot better than Tom.

tom+cruise+hunt.jpg

Though I don't think comparing a figure with a HS to a figure with a helmet is fair because the helmet should win but each company has it's hits and misses. You know what HT made in 2007? Brando's Jor El from Superman Returns.

brando jor el.jpg

I think it was a fair comparison because the HT and Medicom versions are what are available for this figure. Given the choice right now, which would you spend your money on? I'm going to spend more money and go with HT because I want the better figure on my shelf. If Medicom puts out an updated Shadow Trooper figure next year then I'll compare this HT version with that one.

He's comparing a figure made in 2007 to one made in 2014/2015, hardly fair. BTW, here's what Hot Toys was producing themselves a year later in 2008. In case it's hard to tell, it's suppose to be Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt from Mission Impossible. Would love to see him review this figure. The paint stickiness aside, I think the Medicom has held up a lot better than Tom.

View attachment 159504

Exactly :goodpost: The Medi is not perfect, but he really got one with bad armor issues. As for accuracy, Medi Stormie helmet is better than SSC and also is the cod piece. I don't own the HT Shadow (nor interested in getting it) but I'm curious about my HT Stormies when arriving and when I compare the HT with Marmit, SSC and Medi.

BTW the Medi stickines problems could be due to the PVC. The Medicom armor is not ABS like SSC (and I guess HT) but PVC, this could have its own issues in time

I think it was a fair comparison because the HT and Medicom versions are what are available for this figure.

Not true, there is a 1/6 Shadow StormTrooper made by SS in 2010. Of course it only cost $90. That would be a better comparison to make, if any.

Given the choice right now, which would you spend your money on? I'm going to spend more money and go with HT because I want the better figure on my shelf. If Medicom puts out an updated Shadow Trooper figure next year then I'll compare this HT version with that one.

Of course, today I'd buy the HT. My point was given the year the Medicom was made, it wasn't a fair comparison. Any figure made in 2007, even HT, will not hold up to one made today. I'm sure if HT makes another Shadow Trooper 7 years from now it will be better than this one.

Not true, there was a 1/6 Shadow StormTrooper made by SS in 2010. Of course it only cost $90

That's true. Since I don't own the Medicom I can only go by the reviews I see on it. I have that Sideshow one and from what I saw on the Medicom version, Sideshow's was better.

My point was given the year the Medicom was made, it wasn't a fair comparison. Any figure made in 2007, even HT, will not hold up to one made today. I'm sure if HT makes another Shadow Trooper 7 years from now it will be better than this one.

Comparing figures is what we do in this hobby. Everyone looks at what's out now or coming soon and compares it to the older version. Just because the figure doesn't hold up doesn't mean it's unfair. Look at HT Godfather figure. If HT decides to make another Vito this year then I'll compare the two. However, it came out around 2009 and the sculpt still holds up today so HT will have their work cut out for them. When I look at the Enterbay Godfather that came out around the same time I think it's awful compared to the HT one. Not an unfair comparison, one company just did a better job.

Of course, all of this is just based on opinion anyway. I'm sure some people prefer the Medicom Shadow Trooper over the SS and HT ones. As long as people are happy with what's on their shelves then who cares what I think?

Comparing figures is what we do in this hobby. Everyone looks at what's out now or coming soon and compares it to the older version. Just because the figure doesn't hold up doesn't mean it's unfair. Look at HT Godfather figure. If HT decides to make another Vito this year then I'll compare the two. However, it came out around 2009 and the sculpt still holds up today so HT will have their work cut out for them. When I look at the Enterbay Godfather that came out around the same time I think it's awful compared to the HT one. Not an unfair comparison, one company just did a better job.

Of course, all of this is just based on opinion anyway. I'm sure some people prefer the Medicom Shadow Trooper over the SS and HT ones. As long as people are happy with what's on their shelves then who cares what I think?

It is the same thing all around. New iPhone comes out, its more than likely better than the last one, new cars, new computers... you can't even compare Hot Wheels over a decade, the painting tech changes, things get better.

Not true, there is a 1/6 Shadow StormTrooper made by SS in 2010. Of course it only cost $90. That would be a better comparison to make, if any.

Of course, today I'd buy the HT. My point was given the year the Medicom was made, it wasn't a fair comparison. Any figure made in 2007, even HT, will not hold up to one made today. I'm sure if HT makes another Shadow Trooper 7 years from now it will be better than this one.

I agree 100%. Comparing this to the Medi is a pointless exercise.

Ok I couldn't resist at this one so I bought him. I'm not a huge fan of the black armor (white is far superior) but this is giving me a taste of what HT Stormtrooper may be.
Here are some comparison pics (SSC Regular Stormie - modded chest, Shadowtrooper, SSC Han Stormie - modded chest), neutral poses:
IMG_3182_zps1af4a1a7.jpg

IMG_3185_zps55df0feb.jpg

IMG_3186_zps9671c7ec.jpg

Hands down win by HT for body, proportions, armor fitting, sturdiness.

Helmet closeups:
IMG_3190_zpsf3127267.jpg

IMG_3192_zps990f5801.jpg

Dunno, not a huge expert (except for the fact that the reveal helmet is too thin). Surely HT got better tusks.

Rifle closeup (HT on top and on the right):
IMG_3196_zps9805869e.jpg

IMG_3200_zps4912b9bd.jpg

HT has far far better detailing (including drilled holes).

Pauldron comparison (HT, SSC DX, SSC Squad Leader):
IMG_3202_zpsc0a9a6d9.jpg

HT got an additional elastic band to keep the pauldron curved.

Can't wait for the white ones!
IMG_3205_zpsdff02d40.jpg

lever bar and handgrip trigger assembly SSC all day, rest of the rifle looks much better on the HT. Its almost a weird combination of how realistic the main body looks compared to the lower piece and the extension piece.

Ok I couldn't resist at this one so I bought him. I'm not a huge fan of the black armor (white is far superior) but this is giving me a taste of what HT Stormtrooper may be.
Here are some comparison pics (SSC Regular Stormie - modded chest, Shadowtrooper, SSC Han Stormie - modded chest), neutral poses:
IMG_3182_zps1af4a1a7.jpg

IMG_3185_zps55df0feb.jpg

IMG_3186_zps9671c7ec.jpg

Hands down win by HT for body, proportions, armor fitting, sturdiness.

Helmet closeups:
IMG_3190_zpsf3127267.jpg

IMG_3192_zps990f5801.jpg

Dunno, not a huge expert (except for the fact that the reveal helmet is too thin). Surely HT got better tusks.

Rifle closeup (HT on top and on the right):
IMG_3196_zps9805869e.jpg

IMG_3200_zps4912b9bd.jpg

HT has far far better detailing (including drilled holes).

Pauldron comparison (HT, SSC DX, SSC Squad Leader):
IMG_3202_zpsc0a9a6d9.jpg

HT got an additional elastic band to keep the pauldron curved.

Can't wait for the white ones!
IMG_3205_zpsdff02d40.jpg

Great comparison pics.

It is the same thing all around. New iPhone comes out, its more than likely better than the last one, new cars, new computers... you can't even compare Hot Wheels over a decade, the painting tech changes, things get better.

That doesn't necessarily follow for "fine art" which these are technically are. Granted I am not familiar with figures but many statues back in the day are better than what they put out now. Though that's cause SS used to give a ****, or at least pretend like it :p

I've cancelled mine, the waiting gave me time to think about this figure & it's not really something I can say I must have, it was only the addition of the pauldron that made me place the order (as I've not got a Shadowtrooper with a pauldron)..., anyway it wasn't a priority purchase so it's now gone.

Back