1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finally watched Alien and Aliens in back-to-back days for Halloween weekend. Both are masterpieces in their own right; the first was pure sci-fi horror and was riveting. The second was more action packed and the stakes, tension, and terror of the presented plot felt so heavy. I mean, I really felt for the crew as they were killed off when defending the station. For instance, Ferro and Gorman's death in the corridor was just heart-wrenching. Ripley is a tremendous character, I really liked her arc over the course of the films. She's a self-reliant, steadfast, commanding heroine. Plus I really liked her bond with Newt.

Having said all that, well now I'm interested in this Ellen figure! I'd be happy to add another strong heroine to the collection. Of course, it's a (relatively) older release, long sold out. Ah well, that's the nature of the hobby :lol
Don't watch Alien 3! Right now you are in the perfect place in the Alien series. Alien 3 (assembly cut) is a good movie but as a conclusion to Alien and Aliens it will not make you a happy Zurdo.

The assembly cut of Alien 3 is phenomenal, and for Ripley's story was a genuinely worthwhile conclusion. A lot of people **** on it, but if you got the time check it out. Resurrection is fun, but was too comic book like for a main entry Alien film in my opinion. Prometheus is sic, Covenant is garbage, neither are necessary viewing for the franchise as it is. Was really hoping we'd get Blokamp's Alien 5, it was going to be a direct sequel to Aliens in a similar vein to Terminator: Dark Fate being a sequel to T2.

Would love more figures from Hot Toys, can't really get into 3rd party figures myself at this scale. Currently have the Big Chap, Alien Warrior, and '79 Ripley. Been bummed about the Power Loader 2.0 that was previewed for years and hasn't been released. Saved some $600 in Sideshow Rewards for it ha ha.

Yeah, Aliens is another rare example of a sequel that can parallel its original in greatness. I really think there is much about Aliens that is visionary in some respects. By this I mean one haunting scene that always sticks in my mind; the final mission of the dropship entering into the labyrinth of the processing station/industrial complex centre in the final 30 minutes or so when Ripley is hell bent on rescuing Newt. Just the sheer scale and hellish apocalyptic feel of that scene sticks in my mind (plus the thrilling score). It's almost like a message that despite man's technical achievements (with the power station) there are other presences and forces in the universe that are far more formidable and unknown that can destroy us. Basically, in Alien and Aliens just two examples of science fiction film at its very best.

Yeah, Aliens is another rare example of a sequel that can parallel its original in greatness. I really think there is much about Aliens that is visionary in some respects. By this I mean one haunting scene that always sticks in my mind; the final mission of the dropship entering into the labyrinth of the processing station/industrial complex centre in the final 30 minutes or so when Ripley is hell bent on rescuing Newt. Just the sheer scale and hellish apocalyptic feel of that scene sticks in my mind (plus the thrilling score). It's almost like a message that despite man's technical achievements (with the power station) there are other presences and forces in the universe that are far more formidable and unknown that can destroy us. Basically, in Alien and Aliens just two examples of science fiction film at its very best.

I love both films. I could say equally, because the first is primarily a horror movie and the second an action movie.

I like all the Alien films, in that they each add something different with the same terrifying monsters, even though none are as great as the first two.

The older more jaded version of me that I am now, recognises that not only is the assembly cut of Alien 3 a really good movie but sadly it is probably quite a 'realistic' conclusion to Ripley's story with the alien - however, my younger more naïve hopeful self was disgusted by it haha (and I'm still not ready to embrace it as canon).

The older more jaded version of me that I am now, recognises that not only is the assembly cut of Alien 3 a really good movie but sadly it is probably quite a 'realistic' conclusion to Ripley's story with the alien - however, my younger more naïve hopeful self was disgusted by it haha (and I'm still not ready to embrace it as canon).

Alien3 had a hard time from the start, due to the deaths of Hicks and Newt and the general bleakness throughout. It took me ages to finally embrace that bleakness.

Alien Resurrection went in a completely different direction, like Aliens meets Starship Troopers. It was generally fun, with scenes like the swimming Xenomorphs.

Alien3 had a hard time from the start, due to the deaths of Hicks and Newt
the best thing A3 did. perfection! no one lives happily after meeting with aliens, ever.
well maybe the only good thing A3 did also, except for Ripley's fate.

Last edited:
This is the type of conversation I enjoy ha ha. I get the hate for 3 and Resurrection, and I especially understand how people feel about Prometheus and especially Covenant. @Bravomite worded it perfectly, and I'm happy that over time a lot of the fandom has come to embrace Alien 3. @Asta mentioning the direction Resurrection chose is really relevant too. The thing I like about each Alien film up until Covenant is that they're all different, each one is a different from the last and that's something I've always appreciated.

the best thing A3 did. perfection! no one lives happily after meeting with aliens, ever.
well maybe the only good thing A3 did also, except for Ripley's fate.
I really like the score for Alien 3 as well, especially how the fox fanfare fizzles out into the depressing and bleak alien tones. All the scores to the first three alien films were excellent.

Alien 3, although flawed in some respects (through no fault of David Fincher or the excellent cast and effects crew/score), still was a very bold and moving film in some regards. You guys have hit the nail on the head in that it provided a realistic and suitable conclusion. Humanity saved by the very outcasts and misfits that were left abandoned, exiled and alone by society.The heart was very much there, sadly I think if I remember rightly it was beleaguered by development problems and the bureaucracy of the studio.

If you're someone who is happy to operate a ''personal canon'' - mentally discarding any film you don't like - it's worth watching them all, why not.

I love the first 3 films. Alien 3 I take as 'optional canon'. What I mean by that is - if I'm in the mood for a ''happy'' ending, Aliens is where things conclude and I can pretend Ripley, Hicks and Newt go on to form that family unit as Cameron intended. But if I want to immerse myself in the grim bleakness of Alien 3 I'll go right ahead and do so. I usually do, I've probably watched it at least as much as the first two at this stage.

It has so much going for it - the cast and the acting are top notch, the sets are awesome, the score is fantastic. For me the only thing letting it down these days is the few dodgy FX shots with the Alien on the ceiling and the difficult-to-explain eggs on the Sulaco. I know P. hates the concept of the Alien acquiring the quadrupedal aspect of its host (dog or Ox depending on which version you watch) but, well, it's never bothered me. And IMO this was the last time the Alien was in any way scary. Though I was young when the film came out.

If you're someone who is happy to operate a ''personal canon'' - mentally discarding any film you don't like - it's worth watching them all, why not.

I know this has been discussed over the years, but unless you want to think of each movie as a stand-alone event, I don't know how you can't selectively consider some in a series like this canon. Otherwise you have to consider AVP Requiem as canon, and damn.

I know this has been discussed over the years, but unless you want to think of each movie as a stand-alone event, I don't know how you can't selectively consider some in a series like this canon. Otherwise you have to consider AVP Requiem as canon, and damn.
I saw Kara had quoted me and fully expected to find a swipe at T2. You're off your game!

You bring up a good point. Would any serious person consider Terminator 2 part of Terminator canon? Would totally ruin any positive opinion you might otherwise have about the Terminator franchise. . .which consists, of course, of the single, original Terminator movie only.

Great films with a great heroine.

Now stop there and don't bother with the rest of the supposed "Alien" films... :wink1:

The Ripley figure is fantastic, as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed! I'll heed your precaution :wink1:

That was Vasquez with Gorman. Ferro was the dropship pilot and was killed on the dropship shortly after Spunkmeyer got it off-screen.

Oops! I had gotten them confused. Still, that scene man, it just really got to me when I saw it.

Wise words indeed. The one-two punch of the first 2 films is just perfect. My head cannon is totally fine with the end of Aliens👌
I’ll add that the 2 “making of” books by J.W. Rinzler (RIP) are staggering in their detail and insight.

Don't watch Alien 3! Right now you are in the perfect place in the Alien series. Alien 3 (assembly cut) is a good movie but as a conclusion to Alien and Aliens it will not make you a happy Zurdo.

Haha yeah I think I'm good with these first two films :lol Though I like the discussion about everyone's perspective on the Alien series.

:exactly:

If I'm not mistaken, HT hasn't done Ripley form Aliens, correct? I'd love a Ripley figure from Aliens, with maybe even Newt included lol

If I'm not mistaken, HT hasn't done Ripley form Aliens, correct? I'd love a Ripley figure from Aliens, with maybe even Newt included lol
They actually have. Years and years ago.

MMS 22
mms22-ripley1.jpg

MMS39
hottoys_hot_toys__mms39__alien_1629095722_b7774a07_progressive.jpg

There was also this prototype of Ripley (based on the '79 figure) from a couple years ago that never made it into production:
4c1550a0fd6780cd56097698044695cc.jpg

They actually have. Years and years ago.

MMS 22
mms22-ripley1.jpg

MMS39
hottoys_hot_toys__mms39__alien_1629095722_b7774a07_progressive.jpg

There was also this prototype of Ripley (based on the '79 figure) from a couple years ago that never made it into production:
4c1550a0fd6780cd56097698044695cc.jpg

Ahh I see, lol I'm not familiar with the earlier figures HT produced. Would love a 2.0 Aliens Ripley :gah:

Man, that power loader :thud:I'd definitely be interested in that!!

Back