1/6 Hot Toys - DX26 - Obi-Wan Kenobi Series : Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be dramatic, but this show was the final straw that killed my love in Star Wars. I find it very hard to believe anyone has warmed up to it in time, I think it’s more that the initial shock of experiencing the horrendous attempt at a story has worn off with all the other garbage coming out in recent years.

With that being said, I can’t imagine wanting to own this figure. To me it would be a depressing representation of an attempted butchering of an adored character who didn’t need further explanation to be who they are. I wish I could hide this thread without blocking the poster.

Rant/whine over. :drool :lol
Agreed on the quality of the show and the general sentiment. I like my Obi-Wan mythos figure quite a bit and to me this is just a view of what he probably looked like after ROTS. Plenty of cool customizing options if you prefer the khaki/brown look too.

I’ve started taking pride in making my own EU style customs, so that helps…

Parts of it have grown on me over time. Rewatched a few days ago. IMO there's a lot that could have been done better - but -
while I don't think Obi-Wan may have been so despairing or out of habit with the Force (how would that happen, anyway?)...

while it's not IMO well executed, after ROTS it makes sense that Obi had some time to breath and Jedi or not would have been traumatized or grieving. The most he does after ROTS is put his head in his hand, and then there's the babies and chatting with Yoda.

And there's scenes here and there, like Anakin in the field, or holding the water back, which IMO is a reminder how powerful Obi is in his own right. If nothing else, Ewan was excellent.

Anyway I put myself on waitlist for both versions, after the fact.:banghead Not because of any sculpt changes but it will be a nice arc on the shelf from the ROTS version, to this version, to the Sideshow Mythos Obi. The show supposedly took costume ideas from the Mythos Obi. Which has wraps (in plastic) at the top of the boots, so the wraps ("socks") IMO sort of segue into the Mythos version.

Makes me think I should get the CW version too. Maybe. Anyway hope I get a conversion but if not will try Popcultcha or Evilbay.
Still available for PO at AE: Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys

Not to be dramatic, but this show was the final straw that killed my love in Star Wars. I find it very hard to believe anyone has warmed up to it in time, I think it’s more that the initial shock of experiencing the horrendous attempt at a story has worn off with all the other garbage coming out in recent years.

With that being said, I can’t imagine wanting to own this figure. To me it would be a depressing representation of an attempted butchering of an adored character who didn’t need further explanation to be who they are. I wish I could hide this thread without blocking the poster.

Rant/whine over. :drool :lol
I don't particularlly need the content to be good to want a figure. I have figures from the Sequel Trilogy and I'm by no means a fan of those movies - but Rey fully kitted out in the scavenger gear looks great.

Yeah, there’s many figures and characters in general that come from poor source material and shined in their own light. Everything from Disney while not OT quality material and some are close is still canon. I don’t get the hate but if a characters arc is represented physically via appearance, if it looks good I’m happy to buy. I loved the Sith Troopers despite them not really being used and much screen time. Design I love tho.

Never understood why a specific series or movie can kill someone's interest or love for something. I was not a fan of the ST, and recently Mando S3, OBK to a certain extent, and BoBF were disappointing, but it didn't kill my love for Star Wars.

BoBF was a disaster from start to finish, but damn those Boba and Cad Bane figures (especially Bane) slap hard.

Wasn't a fan of the last 2 Indy films, but won't change how much I love the original 3, and how often I'll continue to watch those.

Even if everything Lucasfilm has done since being bought by Disney was awful (it isn't), I'll always have my love for the original 6 films and TCW to fall back on, nothing can take that away from me.

Never understood why a specific series or movie can kill someone's interest or love for something. I was not a fan of the ST, and recently Mando S3, OBK to a certain extent, and BoBF were disappointing, but it didn't kill my love for Star Wars.

BoBF was a disaster from start to finish, but damn those Boba and Cad Bane figures (especially Bane) slap hard.

Wasn't a fan of the last 2 Indy films, but won't change how much I love the original 3, and how often I'll continue to watch those.

Even if everything Lucasfilm has done since being bought by Disney was awful (it isn't), I'll always have my love for the original 6 films and TCW to fall back on, nothing can take that away from me.
Yeah, I think I worded my sentiment incorrectly. By killed love or killed interest, I really mean more of a killed enthusiasm.

I feel that the more recent approaches, for multiple reasons, have ironically lost a lot of the original sense of wonder that I felt the first 6 movies and some of the original EU books gave me. While that notion alone obviously isn’t what makes Star Wars into Star Wars, and nothing has invalidated my love for the original content, looking at everything as a bigger picture is personally less interesting now. I still love the original stuff, but it’s more difficult to say “oh I’m huge into Star Wars!…. Well, a tiny fraction of it…”

I wouldn’t shame anyone for loving the new material, but all the overexposure has just made it a different cup of tea from what I would have hoped.

I could explain my exact feelings and reasons for them in a detailed rant, but I really don’t think it would be constructive here (or even relatively on-topic knowing how the mods roll lately), and not to mention, it probably wouldn’t be anything that hasn’t been said by others.

I see Indiana Jones as a completely separate thing, though. While I was never as invested into those movies as much as SW, I view each Indiana Jones movie as sort of an independent, loosely connected group where “mistakes” can be easily overlooked and don’t necessarily influence the direction or canon of the original films.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I worded my sentiment incorrectly. By killed love or killed interest, I really mean more of a killed enthusiasm.

I feel that the more recent approaches, for multiple reasons, have ironically lost a lot of the original sense of wonder that I felt the first 6 movies and some of the original EU books gave me. While that notion alone obviously isn’t what makes Star Wars into Star Wars, and nothing has invalidated my love for the original content, looking at everything as a bigger picture is personally less interesting now. I still love the original stuff, but it’s more difficult to say “oh I’m huge into Star Wars!…. Well, a tiny fraction of it…”

I wouldn’t shame anyone for loving the new material, but all the overexposure has just made it a different cup of tea from what I would have hoped.

I could explain my exact feelings and reasons for them in a detailed rant, but I really don’t think it would be constructive here (or even relatively on-topic knowing how the mods roll lately), and not to mention, it probably wouldn’t be anything that hasn’t been said by others.

I’m not sure why though, but Indiana Jones isn’t the same way at all for me… maybe it’s because I never felt as invested in it compared to SW, or maybe I view each of them as sort of an independent, loosely connected group where “mistakes” can be easily overlooked and don’t necessarily see it in terms of how they all come together.

Ahh gotcha, that makes a bit more sense.

I didn't want to single you out though, I've seen it all over the internet with other fandoms as well.

Cool, took that deal. Haven't ordered from AE in years but they were always great to deal with. Not sure how strongly I feel about the box etc. Having the Sideshow ObiWan I have lots of accessories.

Agreed. I can't let new material kill what I grew up with. Everyone's different but personally don't get it.

Well, am the odd one out, in that my newer-ish appreciation for SW is well after the fact. Mainly because I was an "organic" Middle Earth and folklore fan. Even knowing SW has similar archetypes etc.

Guess I really started paying attention because I was avoiding Hobbit movie spoilers and actually started more "deep dives" with all the fighting that went on about Kylo's lightsaber. Who knew there was a whole field of study?

If I were gonna be angry about anything it would be the limping ROP:pfft: - AND TROS:pfft: but it's mostly coz of the waste and utter *&^$ writing....which I suppose is true of Obi but if nothing else there's some moments and it was Ewan as Obi-Wan. Seeing as he and Qui-Gon are favorites of mine, so will have both. IMO the last fight with Anakin was pretty good, Obi behaves age-appropriate etc. for the time frame. Whether he should have walked away - ergh.....well they tried, even if it really messed up Leia in the OT etc.:monkey1

Last edited:
I've been a lifelong fan of SW, and i loved everything up until it was bought by the house of mouse(I've loved sporadic things since then, but that's another story).
You loved ‘everything?’
1694033948482.gif

Everything…

1694034659176.gif

EVERYTHING?!?!
1694034164446.gif

Every thaaang :sneaky:
1694034429773.gif

So I just saw the Patterson cut, and I have to say I really enjoyed it! It excised everything I didn't like about the series and kept what worked. Will definitely be rewatching. I'm glad I preordered Obi, Vader, and Reva 🤟

Last edited:
Oh, I’ll have to watch Trials of the Master when it’s available.

Did anybody watch the Patterson cut of Kenobi? Apparently he condensed it to a movie sized format.
I watched it.
It would have been decent if that's what we got from Disney to begin with. A bit less faff with Leia, and none of the "Reva turns up at the end" nonsense.
They're REALLY making a lightsaber through your intestines seem like a minor flesh would these days...

Is this the first figure to come with the new LED sabers? I am really curious as this is starting to become the norm along with rolling eyeballs. This Obi and the split helmet Vader are on deck for October! I cannot wait for all those floating rocks! So many characters can use this feature in the display! Can't go wrong with another Obi, ever!

Is this the first figure to come with the new LED sabers? I am really curious as this is starting to become the norm along with rolling eyeballs. This Obi and the split helmet Vader are on deck for October! I cannot wait for all those floating rocks! So many characters can use this feature in the display! Can't go wrong with another Obi, ever!
Yep. Rewatching the PT and I really like Ewan's Obi-Wan. For my shelf at least, I'm also real happy I picked up round 1 of Sideshow's Mythos Obi and HT Qui-Gon. It's gonna be awesome.

EDIT: And my waitlist for the Special Edition converted - maybe everyone is buying Sabine. Now I gotta decide if I want two of these. :lol
Maybe. As expensive as ROTS Obi is now, I may just wanna keep both and be happy.

Last edited:
Back