1/6 Episode III Obi-Wan IMAGE Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 12" Obi-Wan IMAGE Thread

hunky_artist said:
yeah its the crappy nighttime lighting... It doesn't look like that really, in person the physical sculpt of the beard creates shadows and depth. I'll post better daytime shots tomorrow. I probably should've waited, lol. I was just happy to have it back on the shelf :rotfl

A lot of the apparent 'thickness' of the sides of his beard are created by shadows, it's one reason why everyone has such trouble getting the colours right. Plus the thickness changes during the film. This is the look I went for.... a thick goatee at the front and much thinner sides.

Anyway, proper shots tomorrow :)

beard%20example.jpg

Hunky I hope you didn't take my comment being overly critical, I think you did a great job. Obi-Wan in ROTS is tricky when it comes to his beard. I remember some early shots when they started filiming almost looked like he just had a goatee and that band of hair along the jawline that looks like a helmet strap, that's probably a terrible description but I thinnk you'll know what I meant, and other shots made his beard on the sides look as thick as AOTC with just a much thicker goatee area similar to Alec's look in ANH, and for me the Obi-Wan look that I took too from ROTS was a full beard with a little fuller goatee area, that's the only reason for my comment. As far as your sculpt and paint application you did a great job and it's your Obi-Wan so if you want the thinner beard look go for it and enjoy!

I really like It!! ... It's hard to really judge as, like MaulFan said.. it varied slightly from shot to shot in the film and stills that were circulated. But I still love the blending effect myself and it certainly does give a different feel to the sculpt. I really hope I get the chance to paint it. :rock

DarkArtist81 said:
I really like It!! ... It's hard to really judge as, like MaulFan said.. it varied slightly from shot to shot in the film and stills that were circulated. But I still love the blending effect myself and it certainly does give a different feel to the sculpt. I really hope I get the chance to paint it. :rock

I was very impressed with the transition of skin to beard on the sides, I know some people think SSC was too dark, and it is darker, but that could have been fine if paint where the beard fades into his cheeks were more subtle and natural because one thing about Ewan's beard is that between color and consistency, there is a graduall progression from skin to full beard, some people do have a solid hairline for beards, but not Ewan. The key thing here, that I love most, is that Andy did a phenominal job at capturing Obi-Wan from the film, I consider it to be the best head sculpt in the line.

I think you're a fine painter, HA, and I'm really impressed with your sewing skills.

Now hurry up and send me my copies of those incredible sculpts so I can get to work!!!

MaulFan said:
I was very impressed with the transition of skin to beard on the sides, I know some people think SSC was too dark, and it is darker, but that could have been fine if paint where the beard fades into his cheeks were more subtle and natural because one thing about Ewan's beard is that between color and consistency, there is a graduall progression from skin to full beard, some people do have a solid hairline for beards, but not Ewan. The key thing here, that I love most, is that Andy did a phenominal job at capturing Obi-Wan from the film, I consider it to be the best head sculpt in the line.

I agree as well.... It takes a lot of work to fix the production paint line on the beard that made it look so thick, but the sculpt was there for sure. There are things you can do with paint to make it look thinner... My favorite of the bunch as well, Andy did phenomenal work.

Still love it though, HA... and again, your paint skills astonish me... love the hair work especially, TOP NOTCH!! :rock

it's been a long time coming but here is mine finally..although the buzz has wore off this fig for some of you ha..I'm still have maul to look forward too sometimes the wait is too long with these pieces
IMGP0008.jpg

IMGP0007.jpg

Oh no. I'm scrimping and saving every penny I can to get the Anakin--am I going to have to get Obi-Wan too?

It's BEAUTIFUL. I have to say, between these two and Aragorn, I'd say your ability to alter the sculpts is absolutely without peer. I can't express how impressed I am. You are a true artist, my friend.
:cool:

Yeah, that's nice, really nice. Can't wait to see more pics man!

Don't be so down on yourself about the paint job - It looks great. I like the effect you've done on the beard. It looks way more natural than the totally solid paintjob from the SS factory.

Customikey said:
HA, your presence may be required in the Legolas Prod Pic thread....:rolleyes:

Ok i was reading this thread with my morning coffee, basking in the usual wamm fuzzy glow i get when reading lovely comments from you lot...... when I read that and nearly spat my coffee out :lol ....I'd been reading the Legolas thread about 30 seconds before, lol, and was thinking... damn... Les, mikey, josh and me are gonna be busy! :rotfl

anyway thanks guys. Basically I didn't do either of these heads to make money (and believe me I'm not, the amount of stuff i wasted learning how to do this I'm actually losing! lol... oh well, it helps with the costs) I did these resculpts... so I could have figures on my shelf that I really liked. Turns out I got not only that, but an appreciation of just how well I can resculpt things, to the point that I'm going to start sculpting myself... so for that alone I have to thank these figures, lol

Anyway I snapped some quick pics this morning in the bathroom (better light) and after editing them I was thinking "boy, these are really candid..... I'm leaving myself wide open here, lol. But hey.. I'm not putting these pics up for praise, I'm putting them up to show people my work (good OR bad... same as I've always done with my art)

so.... faults and all (eyes... i HATE the eyes, lol... what I get for rushing it) here are some pics (I'll make a pic soon with the resculpted areas highlighted... make it easier to see what was done... basically most of it, lol

the noble Jedi....

done1.jpg

old Obi-Wan head (with only sculpted hair) vs. new completely redone sculpt

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

BIG close up to show the details (and the faults)

done4.jpg

done5.jpg

done6.jpg

sculpted part in the hair, creating the natural view of the scalp that you see on a person (and on Ewan)

done7.jpg

paulcarson said:
painted1.jpg

This one sells it for me.
wow!
did you strip it any paint before painting it hunky artist ?

i can see some mroe detail on that one it seems .
awesome!

OMG.....those are so gorgeous. I hope mine can be that good. HA your paint is also superb. I really like what you did on the hair.

done3.jpg

HA, those repaints are gorgeous and very inspiring! Are you going to tackle Qui Gon next?? :)

good job sincerly, but i prefer the sideshow original

Don't tempt me!!! I'm pressed enough already saving up for other things, but that Obi-Wan is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL--must! get! money! help!

sunohc said:
wow!
did you strip it any paint before painting it hunky artist ?

i can see some mroe detail on that one it seems .
awesome!

I made a mold and a cast of the original head as it was, resculpted it, then used that as a master to make copies. It's one of these copies that you see painted here. So if anything there may be slightly less detail, but you really can't tell there's still tons of detail. Plus with a good paintjob even on the blandest figures you can give the impression of more detail. Happily I didn't need to do that here.

Kamenguyver, I'm sure once painted up yours will be just as good. I can't wait to see how other people paint them!
JustinLuck said:
HA, those repaints are gorgeous and very inspiring! Are you going to tackle Qui Gon next?? :)

way ahead of you my friend. His hair is already cut off, ready to cast the head, resculpt it, and hopefully resculpt the hair into an over the shoulders pose... but to mold and cast it in rubber, so it's flexible. Still workng on that part though. But yes.... i am ;) (inbetween other sideshow and non-sideshow commissions I have to do first though)

masterside... thats ok If we all liked the same things the planet would be a very boring place! :)

carbo-fation... I'll answer your pm (and a few others I got) a little later on if I get the chance today, if not maybe monday morning :)

and Captain.... thanks! ...and sorry for tempting you :lol

Back