1/6 1/6 DIECAST Iron Man 2 WAR MACHINE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine this figure costing us any less than $350. If so, great, but that I think will be the minimum price for it when released.

I really don't think the prices will fall on the original WM MK I just because a diecast version is being made. It's still a first release most collectors know the difference. To collectors, first editions (of almost anything collectible) are worth more. I, for one, will be in for the new one as I couldn't afford these when they first came out. I started with MK VII. Anything before that is just too expensive if you want one in mint condition. Occasionally you can find a deal on some figures, but not often. This will give me the War Machine I want, without having to sell a kidney to get a good one.
First edition figures will still have their prices because they are first editions. New releases in diecast will cost close to the same because they are new and are diecast. So new or old, the price will be about the same.
Ryan

MK 3 is a prime example.

I don't see any way the original mk3 is superior to the DC mk3. If you compare the DC to say the mk43 there's at least an argument. But not when compared to the original mk3.

I actually prefer the colour on the original Mark III, the arm missile gimmick was very well-implemented, and lastly, ankle articulation. I bought the DC Mark III mainly because I worry my Mark III might eventually develop the fading problem (fingers crossed), but aside from that I like the original just fine.

From a business stand point this is smart, i get that.

But from plastic to die cast....any significant difference in color or anything ? i don't care about strength of course because it just stands there so why the big "i have to get die-cast ?

From a business stand point this is smart, i get that.

But from plastic to die cast....any significant difference in color or anything ? i don't care about strength of course because it just stands there so why the big "i have to get die-cast ?

Agree, the seller was just trying to move old stock to make some money off of it.

If this was an updated re-release of the plastic version my reaction would still be the same in that I want to buy it. I've been wanting that armor for a while, so I might as well get this one that is brand new instead of something that's years old, dc or not.

If this was an updated re-release of the plastic version my reaction would still be the same in that I want to buy it. I've been wanting that armor for a while, so I might as well get this one that is brand new instead of something that's years old, dc or not.
That's how I see it. This is the WM I wanted to begin with, but settled for the AoU version. I didn't want to pay hundreds for an older figure, so now I can pay hundreds for a brand new one [emoji38]

I really don't think the prices will fall on the original WM MK I just because a diecast version is being made. It's still a first release most collectors know the difference. To collectors, first editions (of almost anything collectible) are worth more. I, for one, will be in for the new one as I couldn't afford these when they first came out. I started with MK VII. Anything before that is just too expensive if you want one in mint condition. Occasionally you can find a deal on some figures, but not often. This will give me the War Machine I want, without having to sell a kidney to get a good one.
First edition figures will still have their prices because they are first editions. New releases in diecast will cost close to the same because they are new and are diecast. So new or old, the price will be about the same.
Ryan

Only when the original ends up being better. Prices on the Avengers Hawkeye have been in free fall as now there is a new one that is better in most every way, not just the price being affordable. But Avengers Loki shot up in price when the Dark World Loki was released, as DW was considerably worse in most every way. Avengers Nick Fury prices are down almost $100 already and the new one isn't even out yet. The original Thor, which looks like a Toys R Us model when compared to the later offerings is pulling a whole $130. The new DC Mk3 is a huge disappointment (to me), but the original is the worst looking Iron Man that has ever been released. Its a step up for those that gotta have a Mark 3, and anyone that wants the original because its first should have no trouble, as its going for $100 cheaper than its metal cousin.

The prices that are still high are for figures that are desirable and liked. AoU Cap sent a cannon shot through the resale value of every other Cap figure as it blows them all away and bodes well for the many versions yet to some. Coulson is up as his stock is high and there probably wont be another one (if there is, the price will dive). The special edition Iron Mans (Gunmetal, Milk, etc) still command the money as they are one offs. It should be clear to most people that these figures are almost exclusively improving, expanding hugely in sheer number, and also Hot Toys is clearly in the market of re-releasing popular IPs. Spending huge amounts to get old models is not as wise as it once was when the market was smaller and there was enough Iron Man versions you could count them on your hands.

rocbolt, your observations are spot on and I agree with them almost completely. What I see is the only real difference and counterpoint to them is, in almost all of your points, the characters you're referring to are human. Hawkeye, Loki, Thor, Fury, Cap, etc. On almost all of the human characters, the head sculpt has greatly improved. (Black Widow still being the most debated ;)) Cap being the best, if you got yours without the wonky eye. :) The armors don't have the head sculpt to live up to. Yes they have a face in a helmet, but the overall is a suit of armor. The original Mk III was their first. It had it's strong points and weak points. All of which have been debated ad hominem. Hot Toys could have done a better job with the new Mk III. But like any company, they don't always give you all the best features with each new improvement. New Mk III has better proportions, but they left off the cool features like the pop out countermeasures, the pop out wrist rocket and gauntlet shield, and the ankle ab articulation. I'm only referring to the ab articulation because the torso is solid as opposed to articulated. I think the differences between the new diecasts and original plastics will be minimal. By the time the first War Machine came out, their figures were already greatly improved. War Machine I is way better than the original Mk III and the Mk VI is way better than the first Mk III as well. By that time, they figured out how to make the figures better.
Having said all that, people opinions and markets change at the drop of a hat, so who really knows? Avengers Hawkeye started low, raised up, and as you say, is currently in free fall. Next year, it could be even more expensive as the market gets saturated with AoU and Civil War Hawkeye. Since late comers will want them all and Avengers Hawkeye was such a low production. Again, who knows?
Ryan

AoU Cap was a great glimpse of what is too come. Comparing it to the older Caps is enlightening to how bad all the previous Caps were. I only own AoU and WS Steve Rogers right now(but still wrestle with rebuying Avengers Cap just because Avengers) but the AoU line showed us another level of making these things that have people just waiting for future releases instead of hunting down older figs. It is a nightmare trying to sell older figs right now, either they don't sell or people give real low offers which makes you want to just store the fig. It changed my buying habits to buy only what I absolutely want because reselling to even break even is not a guarantee anymore. That said I have no doubt DC War Machine will be better than the previous release but the aftermarket won't fall until we actually see a prototype of the DC because of the "disappointing" MKIIIDC.

This figure is gonna be super heavy. I wonder if the gun will be diecast. Probably plastic though

I don't see any way the original mk3 is superior to the DC mk3. If you compare the DC to say the mk43 there's at least an argument. But not when compared to the original mk3.

Articulation

Movie accurate color scheme (perhaps arguably)

Accessories (Battle Damaged version)

All superior in these releases compared to the DC MkIII

MK 3 is a prime example.

No, because while some eBay geniuses still list theirs "high" doesn't mean people will pay knowing a newer version is out. Eventually, they'll eat a huge loss when they sell it for far less than what they paid in the secondary market, just for being impatient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Articulation

Movie accurate color scheme (perhaps arguably)

Accessories (Battle Damaged version)

All superior in these releases compared to the DC MkIII

The only thing I can give you is articulation and just barely(It poses just as well as the original using a different technique). The DCIII is color is movie accurate to some stills and the battle damaged MKIII was a different figure. The WMDC will be different because the MKIII used the construction version as a base so HT can get two releases out of it while I'm guessing the new War Machine is going to be a completely new figure.

Avengers Hawkeye started low, raised up, and as you say, is currently in free fall. Next year, it could be even more expensive as the market gets saturated with AoU and Civil War Hawkeye. Since late comers will want them all and Avengers Hawkeye was such a low production. Again, who knows?
Ryan

Because there will almost certainly be 2 superior versions in stock and available, the old, kinda lame one will be more expensive? The 10 people on earth who want "the evolution of hawkeye" on display will probably not have much trouble doing so.

Really who on Earth wants to or physically can have them all at this point (and not just all the characters, but all versions of all characters)? That is a 0.01% population thing there. There are so many of these figures and the line is expanding every year, and I don't know about you but I and plenty others don't have the space to display 30 or 40 figures at a time.

Avengers was 12 figures.
Iron Man 3 was 19 figures and counting.
Winter solider was 6 figures.
Age of Ultron is 16 figures.

Nearly everyone in the MCU is in Civil War. Infinity Wars are coming soon. Ant Man. More Guardians of the Galaxy. Dr Strange. Black Panther. Captain Marvel. There are fans of a certain character who will want different versions of that character, but for the most part we have to be a bit more realistic and won't have any desire for (much less room for) 4 Tony Starks, 7 Captain Americas, 4 Black Widows, 5 Thors, plus another one or two more of each character every year for the next few years, and especially when several of the figures are plainly inferior, and there is an avalanche of new characters coming as well in addition to the new iterations of established ones. That's why prices are down, people are coming to terms with divesting themselves of the excess if they want to collect much of anything beyond the 2012 line, and pre-ordering only what really whets their whistle and not just anything that comes along with a Marvel property attached.

I don't see demand for Avengers Hawk every being what it was, because it wasn't originally desirable because it was a jaw dropping figure, it was desirable because it was the only one and by the time people realized the movie was great and they even wanted lowly ol Hawkeye in their team it was too late. In reality it isn't an ideal figure body and its a blah HS, there's a new one now that's a big step up and there'll be another one in a year guaranteed.

Annnd that's bad enough, but woe unto the collector who is also in to DC or Star Wars at this point too. The average collector is shedding weight right now, not chasing a complete collection.

Speaking of older figure values dropping, I wish Avengers Cap would get really cheap. I'd love to find a loose one for $100 or so, I just want the red gauntlets and boots.

Speaking of older figure values dropping, I wish Avengers Cap would get really cheap. I'd love to find a loose one for $100 or so, I just want the red gauntlets and boots.

Yeah I'm still debating with that one. I originally wanted to spend a little under $200 but now I think I can only pull the trigger on around the $120+/- mark. Too many other newer figs coming out I need to save for.

Except for the upcoming release photo, the ant man updated HS, the tie fighter, Appleseed...those are just in the last month. Then elder predator, mk3stealth, boba, Maria hill..the month before. All not on Friday. There is no pattern or day. They post whenever

I'm just talking about new release pics on Facebook, then later in the day, Sideshow puts the item up for preorder. I'm not talking about random posts, such as head sculptors or final product pics. I've noticed in the last couple months, that Friday is Facebook preview pics, then Sideshow up for pre-order on that same day.

I'm just talking about new release pics on Facebook, then later in the day, Sideshow puts the item up for preorder. I'm not talking about random posts, such as head sculptors or final product pics. I've noticed in the last couple months, that Friday is Facebook preview pics, then Sideshow up for pre-order on that same day.

Your name intrigues me...

Back