1/6 Dengar (Finished pics in post 60)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j14

Super Freak
Reaction score
Following on from some great customs of this figure I decided to give it a bash myself.

Thanks have to go to Bidufarewell for his advice and tips about creating this figure.

Bids Dengar thread can be found here:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73899

My cousin actually bought Bids Denger from him when he purchased a massive lot of Star Wars stuff from Bid, so I have the original figure as a template.

In the lot that he bought there was a Hasbro Dengar as well as a resin cast of the head (done by Dorgmal Snow if i'm not mistaken).

So I decided to give it a go.

I used an old Version 1 BBi body as thats what I had lying around so boots and gloves are from that figure.

The armour is Hasbro Dengar repainted and weathered.

The Head is a cast of the head used by Bid.

The back pack is currently a WIP but its a broken Nikon Digital Camera shell with most of the components stuck to the outside!
Pics to follow.

This is the first time I have ever painted a head and I'm kinda stuck on the eyes because they are really tiny but I have to learn sometime.

DengarHead.jpg

Rough Idea

DengarThrownroughidea.jpg

DengarFullFigure.jpg

The Glove Gauntlets were done by my Girlfriend as I can't sew to save my life.

DengarGloves.jpg

The boots (the original BBi boots covered in Strips of sticking plaster and painted)

I'm quite happy with these, I think they turned out quite well.

DengarBoots.jpg

I still have to do:

Head Wraps
Head Cover
Belt
Holster
Leg Wraps to hold the shin armour in place
Assemble the Backpack

I will post more pics as I progress.

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jay.

Last edited:
Re: Dengar WIP

That looks great so far. I also used that headsculpt on my Dengar, it works great.

I really like how you did the shoes. Cant wait to see how you tackle the head wrappings. nice work!

Jay, what did you do to bulk out the body? looks perfect size and the dry brushing on the armour came out perfect. Looking forward to seeing the head wrap. I used a 1/6 shirt with a nice seam for the hood and feed wire through the seam to shape it around the face, then the bandages. The boots look super!

Thanks Bid, Outlander, Parker and Chaka.

I'll try to get more done over the week end and some more pics.

Bid, I didn't bulk up the body at all. The BBi body was fairly well built to start with big chest, wide shoulders and big calves. So he kinda filled out the armour all by himself.

I'm on the lookout for something suitable for the head wrap. I have the wire so I just need the material!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

Thanks Bid, Outlander, Parker and Chaka.

I'll try to get more done over the week end and some more pics.

Bid, I didn't bulk up the body at all. The BBi body was fairly well built to start with big chest, wide shoulders and big calves. So he kinda filled out the armour all by himself.

I'm on the lookout for something suitable for the head wrap. I have the wire so I just need the material!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
well,try one of these shopping bags,made from cotton and almost the right colour,they fit pretty good

My first ever painted head.

Please go easy! :)

Quite happy with it bar the eyes but I think they are ok for my first ever attempt.

Dengarhead-1.jpg

Re: Dengar (My First ever painted head in post 9)

They look good... one piece of advice is to take either a dark color, or fleshy pink one and use a thin line of paint to outline the eye. It helps to either give the appearance of eyelashes (with the dark line) or at the very least leave a less noticeable transition between the white of the eyes and the rest of the face.

But overall very nice; the skin tones are particularly well done and convincing :duff

I think thats got to be one of the best First attempts at Head Painting I've seen.
My first attempt looked like a crayon doodle of a 3 year old.

Looking good......

Great work on the head J, can't wait too see the head wrap and backpack. Just wondering if you've thought about his blaster yet and if you're going all out and giving him the belt and pouches?

Thanks Kreig, GB, Chaka, Two Riverz and Bid.

Kreig: I'll keep my eye out for one of those bags.

GB: Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go. His eyes do need more definition.

Two Riverz: Thanks for the compliment.

Chaka: I was so impressed by it myself that I've started looking at one of Duanes Cantina sculpts.

Bid: I'll be doing everything. Pouch (I was thinking a dyed Hasbro Snow Trooper or a nice leather pouch if I could find one. I have a DLT 19 Blaster from my Desert Sands Sand Trooper so I'll use that but I'm trying to get a belt and holster sorted.

There will be more updates soon.

Thanks to you all.

Last edited:

lovely paint job:clap,would be glad to be so good in my first attempt:dunno keep up the good work:hi5:!..and you will find that bag,sooner or later:rotfl

Bid: I'll be doing everything. Pouch (I was thinking a dyed Hasbro Snow Trooper or a nice leather pouch if I could find one. I have a DLT 19 Blaster from my Desert Sands Sand Trooper so I'll use that but I'm trying to get a belt and holster sorted.

I'm using this pic, looks like two pouches (search 1/6 bread bags on ebay, some good options). The belt looks like Greedo's, I picked up one the other day from TA to see if it works, got a second one for you if it does. Looks like the blaster holster is attached to the leg armour, I think it was CLParker that did a great job on that. Looking good, look forward to up dates.

misc_dengar2.jpg

Bid, thats the same reference picture I used for mine.

Here is a shot of mine, maybe this can help you out J. I must say, your paint apps on the face make me want to go back and redo mine. :) I really like this headsculpt for Dengar.

I used sideshow Stormtrooper forearm and lower body armor on mine. Pouch was from a Hasbro Snowtrooper. I probably need to go back and fix the blaster to the leg armor like CLP did.

I hope this pic helps, I dont mean to derail your thread with my picture.

Chaka3001.jpg

That's what makes this place Chaka, everyone helping everyone else to turn out the best figures we can. I know Jay's is gonna be awesome and it's great to see everyone's here in one place again. I remembered CLParker's looking excellent too the holster attached to the leg armour looks smashing. There was loads of the black stormtrooper armour on TA last week, but when I went back it was all gone.

Back