1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this helps with the scale.

On the left is Vader from the Tarkin 2-pack. Right is the kaiyodo sculpt on a HT body (with various HT and SS parts). I left the shots black and white to make it easier to focus on proportions.
I also included Luke in one shot for comparison. Do note that even the HT has been modified, although not the overall height.

Going by the often reported full height of Vader in suit of 2.06 m, he should be around 33.4 cm tall in 1:6 scale. The kaiyodo Vader on the right is 33.5 cm in my shot. Luke is 29.5 cm, which would make him 1.77 m in real life, which is already a bit too tall, depending on which source you trust.

I'm very happy that I will be able to upgrade the ANH soon to true 1:6. :) And curious how the kaiyodo compares to this.

IMG_4256_4_small.jpg

IMG_4257_2_small.jpg

Thanks for those comparisons, Paul!
(Sorry for sandwiching my post right in the middle, that was unfortunate timing)

I'm so incredibly excited for this. :lol I just took my ANH out of the box for the shots (I haven't put up my display since moving recently) and the huge mask and dome immediately jumped out at me.
I might have to replace the HT hands, belt buckle, and cod piece, but it'll all be worth it to build an ultimate true 1:6 Vader.

I have the Kaiyodo kit, but sadly no HT pieces. I will take pictures of them tomorrow, to show how my early v2 compare to that kit. I don't have the recent v2 prints as I sent them all to Paul, so hope that's okay.

I've got some comparison photos for you to see the difference I size between the true scaled 1/6 and the Hot Toys scale. None of the Hot Toys items shown have had their size adjusted in any way.
View attachment 496944

Wow, that's quite a size difference!:horror

And that's not the HT dome, that's the TMG dome printed the same size as the HT dome?

Hopefully this helps with the scale.

On the left is Vader from the Tarkin 2-pack. Right is the kaiyodo sculpt on a HT body (with various HT and SS parts). I left the shots black and white to make it easier to focus on proportions.
I also included Luke in one shot for comparison. Do note that even the HT has been modified, although not the overall height.

Going by the often reported full height of Vader in suit of 2.06 m, he should be around 33.4 cm tall in 1:6 scale. The kaiyodo Vader on the right is 33.5 cm in my shot. Luke is 29.5 cm, which would make him 1.77 m in real life, which is already a bit too tall, depending on which source you trust.

I'm very happy that I will be able to upgrade the ANH soon to true 1:6. :) And curious how the kaiyodo compares to this.

View attachment 496947

Interesting comparison! Is that a Sideshow dome on the Kaiyodo facemask?

And I'm always amazed how huge that HT dome looks next to a regular HT human head. A HT Leia head (which are slightly undersized) must look hilarious side-by-side with a HT Vader helmet.:lol

I found some of my Prowse/Vader height comparison pics. He really starts to come across as a taller regular guy vs this giant. I have several pics of Prowse and Mayhew together and Prowse comes up to Mayhew's chin - Mayhew was really one of those "giants."

I included rare identical pics taken of Prowse with and without the helmet side-by-side on to show where his head lines up with the helmet as it's always a bit confusing as to how much height the helmet adds once on (the answer is "not a huge amount" because it sits so low on his head.)

50433431821_5950facf5e_o.png

50433598932_3830ac58dd_o.png

And pic and angles aren't great, but this gives an idea of screen-used domes on regular/smaller guy heads - smaller than you'd assume:

50433587076_7789eb36bc_o.png

We haven't printed any HT sized pieces yet. Any comparison showing the prints are the true scale.

Btw: I need locations for everyone who has signed up, so we can start gathering shipping quotes for all possible locations, making things easier in the future, so please pm me your country and maybe state.

I've done some number crunching and we have a Hot Toys sized faceplate being printed as I type. As soon as I have something to show I'll review it with Carsten before doing anything else. We want to make sure that the size will be suitable.

Interesting comparison! Is that a Sideshow dome on the Kaiyodo facemask?

And I'm always amazed how huge that HT dome looks next to a regular HT human head. A HT Leia head (which are slightly undersized) must look hilarious side-by-side with a HT Vader helmet.:lol

I found some of my Prowse/Vader height comparison pics. He really starts to come across as a taller regular guy vs this giant. I have several pics of Prowse and Mayhew together and Prowse comes up to Mayhew's chin - Mayhew was really one of those "giants."

I included rare identical pics taken of Prowse with and without the helmet side-by-side on to show where his head lines up with the helmet as it's always a bit confusing as to how much height the helmet adds once on (the answer is "not a huge amount" because it sits so low on his head.)

50433431821_5950facf5e_o.png

50433598932_3830ac58dd_o.png

Yeah it's a Sideshow DX V1 dome, shortened at the edges. I actually have a hurricane dome for him, but I can't find it anywhere. After recently moving, I haven't been able to locate it in any of the usual places. I have too many boxes with spare parts. :lol

And I agree, Prowse was not the giant he's often made out to be. That shot on the top left from ESB is actually what I'm trying to model my body/suit proportions after.

Please note that the body suits and pants are different from movie to movie, in case you want to go accurate. What I saw on your figure above does look very ESB.

This is the ANH. Sorry, can't remember who made this collage, and I couldn't find the single images where he's just in the leather suit, so decided to post this instead. This is Kermit Eller who wore the original screen used suit during promotional tours.

Kermit-DonPost-013.jpg

Yeah it's a Sideshow DX V1 dome, shortened at the edges. I actually have a hurricane dome for him, but I can't find it anywhere. After recently moving, I haven't been able to locate it in any of the usual places. I have too many boxes with spare parts. :lol

And I agree, Prowse was not the giant he's often made out to be. That shot on the top left from ESB is actually what I'm trying to model my body/suit proportions after.

I actually didn't love the dome that came with my Hurricane/Kaiyodo helmet so have been using a Hasbro dome (pic below.) It's not ideal but I think the proportions work a bit better - Hurricane's dome looked a bit off (not sure what Hurricane used as the basis, I think shaved V2 SSC ESB.) None of these older Kaiyodo/Hurr helmets hold up all that well under closer scrutiny anyway - Hurricane's facemasks up-close are kinda rough in both surface and paint.

Will be so great to be able to use Carsten's stunning work as the starting point.:yess:

It's actually kind of funny that with these TMG kits becoming available everyone is basically starting their 1/6 Vaders from scratch. Other than the fantasy of a "accurate out of the box" Vader it's really been an incremental thing over the many years with maybe a dome or chest armor piece on a new figure that looks better than anything before and people would rush to add that to their Franken-vader.

It's going to be so weird to have pretty much all the hard parts be accurate all at once.:lol

50433057368_b776e3e4f6_h.jpg

1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

I know.

I can?t wait for this. It?s really a dream come true. Even if I stop collecting some day I don?t think I?d ever part with that Vader.

My Vader custom was coming along quite nicely, but after I discovered this project, I stopped modding my Vader.

My Vader is actually close to done, I?ve just never been satisfied with the helmet or shoulder/chest armor. I also need to redo the codpiece.

b2b886c3d08e98f7cca0981cf30b82a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Please note that the body suits and pants are different from movie to movie, in case you want to go accurate. What I saw on your figure above does look very ESB.

This is the ANH. Sorry, can't remember who made this collage, and I couldn't find the single images where he's just in the leather suit, so decided to post this instead. This is Kermit Eller who wore the original screen used suit during promotional tours.

Good point, and yeah, the bodysuit I posted earlier is indeed for my ESB custom.
For the ANH, I'm holding off any work until I get your parts in, to ensure everything fits as it should. Those shots of Kermit and super helpful for the suit details, but ultimately of course I want to replicate Prowse's on-screen physique and proportions.

I actually didn't love the dome that came with my Hurricane/Kaiyodo helmet so have been using a Hasbro dome (pic below.) It's not ideal but I think the proportions work a bit better - Hurricane's dome looked a bit off (not sure what Hurricane used as the basis, I think shaved V2 SSC ESB.) None of these older Kaiyodo/Hurr helmets hold up all that well under closer scrutiny anyway - Hurricane's facemasks up-close are kinda rough in both surface and paint.

Will be so great to be able to use Carsten's stunning work as the starting point.:yess:

It's actually kind of funny that with these TMG kits becoming available everyone is basically starting their 1/6 Vaders from scratch. Other than the fantasy of a "accurate out of the box" Vader it's really been an incremental thing over the many years with maybe a dome or chest armor piece on a new figure that looks better than anything before and people would rush to add that to their Franken-vader.

It's going to be so weird to have pretty much all the hard parts be accurate all at once.:lol

Hurricane made new domes a few years back that he sold separately, not sure if the one you had was the same. I'm using an original kaiyodo set for the mask that I painted myself. I do have to say that I was never fully happy with either dome and kept switching between the two. I'll look into modding the hurricane dome (if I ever find it again :lol), since I'm only going for a full ANH set from Carsten & Paul for now.

And I agree, it's awesome to finally be getting true 1:6 parts all in one box! They will be my reference for everything else (body, gloves, etc.). I'll try to finish my ESB by the time I get the parts in.

I know.

I can?t wait for this. It?s really a dream come true. Even if I stop collecting some day I don?t think I?d ever part with that Vader.

My Vader custom was coming along quite nicely, but after I discovered this project, I stopped modding my Vader.

My Vader is actually close to done, I?ve just never been satisfied with the helmet or shoulder/chest armor. I also need to redo the codpiece.

Your Vader already looks fantastic! Much better than what I was able to do with my HT. No matter what I did, the proportions and overall look still seemed off.

It will be wonderful seeing all customs coming out of this.

Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

I know.

Don't sell yourself short. That Vader looks like a full size on a mannequin.

Compared to Kaiyodo. I only have early v2 helmets, as the new stuff was sent to Paul, which may be a fraction larger. Please note that this is an old ANH dome, so it is taller, but slimmer at the crown section, while flaring out too much at the bottom skirt sides. The new domes are correctly shaped.

, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, on Flickr
, on Flickr

Oh man, I can’t believe the time is finally here for these to be ready! Too Much Garlic, i sent you a PM. It would be great if we could find someone that would be able to paint these up for us as a group.

TMG, this is a screen capture of the ANH helmet in ESB (Hoth base entry):

btkBhFq.jpg

It is not entirely ANH. The dome is already ESB, but is angled wrong - sits similar to the old Don Post and Rubies helmets. It's also the first thing filmed with Vader and Dave Prowse kept tripping over the tunic because he couldn't see, so they shortened the tunic at the front, but after filming that scene they switched to the larger ESB style chin vent.

Just wanted to post an update for you. I know that a lot of guys are interested in seeing resized Vader parts and accessories. We've printed some test parts out so that you can decide whether the true scale is better or the resized scale. My opinion on seeing them together? The resized components aren't as large as the Hot Toys parts. They seem to be mid way between. To me I like this scale better. It gives you the best of both worlds. I could go into it more but as the saying goes pictures say a 1000 words... ( true 1/6 scale on left and resized on the right)
IMG_20201018_184353.jpg
IMG_20201018_184316.jpg
IMG_20201018_184329.jpg

Back