1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If anyone needs a near perfect (and real metal) belt buckle reach out to Davinator from Fullmetal Customs. Jon did an amazing job. He impressively got the D the right amount of crooked too, which is a detail thats easily overlooked, and I believe the same in all three films. It comes painted, weathered and all.

c6a4f9e1b6c19eccd2dee1ebab4e125c.plist

93b0f1a1ebe85c570791b53bd49dd709.plist

cfc929538826ad51e2f8778ea06238a5.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These look great TMG.
I will hold out for the sizes up versions :D Still plans for the trooper buckets? HT size versions of those as well?

WOW, thanks for all the messages guys. I'll try to answer some of the questions. The pictured pieces are true 1:6 scale. We haven't done any HT scale prints yet, but it seems there's more interest in those than I thought - please be mindful as we figure out the scaling. We'll try and go with the Solo_bones upscaling by 2mm all-round and see how that goes. It worked well for troopers, so we'll start with that.

Those belt buckles look awesome.

Trooper buckets will come later. Working on making them home-printing-ready. We can offer them in HT size.

Been talking with Paul and we started discussing lighting options and ways to achieve that, but Paul thought it best to ask you guys whether you wanted clear printed parts made ready for lighting, or you just want the normal solid block of resin you just paint?

Been talking with Paul and we started discussing lighting options and ways to achieve that, but Paul thought it best to ask you guys whether you wanted clear printed parts made ready for lighting, or you just want the normal solid block of resin you just paint?

That's a tough one. While I love the idea of lighting, I rarely use it on my figures that have it. The only way I'd use it is if my figures were hooked up to a universal switch, but I lack the skills to set that up. I guess translucent parts could make it easier to create the illusion of glowing buttons through paint.

Thought I'd share my WIP ESB era Prowse. I'm modding the body and resewing the bodysuit. Still some work to be done, but he's getting there.

IMG_4233_2_small.jpg

IMG_4237_2_small.jpg

PM sent! And yeah I love the lighting too but it would be so difficult to get all the electrics/wires right and in truth I rarely turn the lights on anything 1/6 - really only for pictures. So I'd probably just go with solid resin.

And when people mention "HT scale" why is that necessary when this kit provides every piece of hard goods except cod piece and buckle? Is HT stuff like the cape, suit and hands that oversized on the HT figs that you'd need to scale everything up?

I assumed when people were concerned about scale it was because TMG was only doing the helmet so it would be too small with HT chestbox and chest armor etc - but this kit replaces pretty much everything from HT.

I frequently notice how massive the HT Vader helmet looks up close to Tarkin so I'm surprised people would want to replicate that sizing, just with more accurate sculpts.

Super excited to hear the ANH stormie bucket isn't far away!:yess:

And when people mention "HT scale" why is that necessary when this kit provides every piece of hard goods except cod piece and buckle? Is HT stuff like the cape, suit and hands that oversized on the HT figs that you'd need to scale everything up?

I assumed when people were concerned about scale it was because TMG was only doing the helmet so it would be too small with HT chestbox and chest armor etc - but this kit replaces pretty much everything from HT.

I feel if the the helmet & parts are to actual scale (smaller) and how all SSC and HT Vader are much larger than they truly should be - body and hands included - it may throw off proportions unless fully modding everything else: shortening and thinning out the body, smaller hands... suit mods.
I believe Solo Bones mentioned he enlarged his stormie buckets because the original Shapeways looked too small on the figure.
Im down for an accurate looking Vader and will compromise true scale to get out of the extra work.
Just my assumptions but will see how all these exceptionally designed parts fit. Hey, I could be totally wrong!

I agree. I think that if one were to go true 1/6 they might run into unanticipated pitfalls with proportions, and this is such a rare treat that we are lucky to have the opportunity to be a part of that I am going with Hot Toys scale since nearly every part I am using is from some version of a Hot Toys Vader, or something scratch built that matches Hot Toys scale.

Either way, both versions are available, so everyone will get what they are looking for.

Exciting times!!!

Re: 1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

I feel if the the helmet & parts are to actual scale (smaller) and how all SSC and HT Vader are much larger than they truly should be - body and hands included - it may throw off proportions unless fully modding everything else: shortening and thinning out the body, smaller hands... suit mods.
I believe Solo Bones mentioned he enlarged his stormie buckets because the original Shapeways looked too small on the figure.
Im down for an accurate looking Vader and will compromise true scale to get out of the extra work.
Just my assumptions but will see how all these exceptionally designed parts fit. Hey, I could be totally wrong!

I agree. I think that if one were to go true 1/6 they might run into unanticipated pitfalls with proportions, and this is such a rare treat that we are lucky to have the opportunity to be a part of that I am going with Hot Toys scale since nearly every part I am using is from some version of a Hot Toys Vader, or something scratch built that matches Hot Toys scale.

Either way, both versions are available, so everyone will get what they are looking for.

Exciting times!!!

But most (maybe all) of those HT and SSC Vaders are just crazy tall though. In some cases like 3/4" to 1" too tall. It always looks weird to me next to other figures when Fett and stormies that are supposed to come up to his nose instead are well below his chin (or even shoulder height in some cases.)

And some of the later HT Vader hands aren't as oversized as the hard parts are, and Matrix made good use of the Kaiyodo Vader hands, so there's that option. I seem to recall he also did a trim/re-sew of one of an existing (not sure if it was HT or SSC) Vader jumpsuits to snug it up.

Everyone to their own preference obviously, but just seems weird to me to knowingly go with oversized parts (even if the sculpt is more accurate) simply because the body, jumpsuit and hands you have are oversized when all of those can be tweaked as Matrix has done.

If the HT stormie and Fett helmets are also oversized I guess the argument becomes more complicated though. But then TMG is also doing a stormie helmet... (and perhaps eventually an accurate Fett helemt too...?)

Good to see some really positive comments from you guys, we're currently looking at working out the sizes to print at and hope to have something to show soon for feedback.

We are exploring the option to print the face masks slightly hollow so that the eyes etc can be hollowed out. The belt boxes are printed in two parts anyway to make them easier to attach to the belt. We will keep working away to bring you the best possible parts to enhance your figures. :)

Great, Paul - very excited!

While I'm still debating the "correct" size vs HT size, there are images like this one below that really make me want to get the correct size to work with a body, hands and bodysuit.

The white line lines up the two Julian Glovers but the yellow line represents the approx height of a standard 12" figure (HF was supposedly almost 6'-1" at his greatest height but lost almost an inch of height after his Temple of Doom surgery, so closer to exactly 6' in 1989) projected onto Vader.

HcAmpRS.png

Good to see some really positive comments from you guys, we're currently looking at working out the sizes to print at and hope to have something to show soon for feedback.

We are exploring the option to print the face masks slightly hollow so that the eyes etc can be hollowed out. The belt boxes are printed in two parts anyway to make them easier to attach to the belt. We will keep working away to bring you the best possible parts to enhance your figures. :)

All great news. Hollow is what I?m interested in. I have some interesting ideas, and hollow would be extremely helpful (and should cut down on print time too I?d guess).

Regarding the true 1/6 vs Hot Toys 1/6. Does either Paul or TMG have a Hot Toys Vader HS, that they could photograph next to the finalized true 1/6 head, and maybe a ruler so we could see a comparison?

I keep going back and forth on which scale I should go with.

I don't have an untouched HT helmet, I had started to modify it to look better on the faceplate and added the bottom of the helmet dome slightly but can take a photograph of the two domes if that helps? I'll see what else I have that can be used as a comparison.

I've got some comparison photos for you to see the difference I size between the true scaled 1/6 and the Hot Toys scale. None of the Hot Toys items shown have had their size adjusted in any way.

IMG_20201007_185808.jpg
IMG_20201007_185745.jpg
IMG_20201007_185720.jpg
IMG_20201007_185706.jpg
IMG_20201007_185647.jpg

Back