1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope these help. :)
I took these measurements from the original lights and also created the blueprint for the rods and coin slots.

Chestbox-OriginalButton.JPG

Chestbox-OriginalButton1.JPG

final-rods-coinslots-mm.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-01.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-02.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-03.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-04.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-05.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-06.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-07.jpg

Chestbox-Switches-08.jpg

I didn't have measurements of the original lights used, so scaled them by eye and re-positioned them on the box.

Though the original boxes were really wonky, which is something I simply don't have the skill to do with the models, I thiIf you spot anything that could need more work, please let me know.

Last edited:
Oh WOW, these are really helpful. The light models are pretty close, so thumbs up to the artist, Jesse, who originally made them, but I don't think he had this great reference available, so there are areas that are not accurate. I may not be able to incorporate all the differences into the models, but I can definitely easily size the models to this, so it will be exact.

Thanks man. :)

Great! Glad I could help a little.
Will you be offering the asymmetrical version of the ANH helmet? I'm really interested in something that's as "pure" as possible to all the asymmetrical features of the ANH original.

Oh WOW, these are really helpful. The light models are pretty close, so thumbs up to the artist, Jesse, who originally made them, but I don't think he had this great reference available, so there are areas that are not accurate. I may not be able to incorporate all the differences into the models, but I can definitely easily size the models to this, so it will be exact.

Thanks man. :)

Yes. Everything I've shown off in this thread will be offered on one way or another. The dome has to be redone now that the DJ scan has happened, as the previous version was from a scan of a slightly warped source. May also have to redo the face mask - still undecided and depends on whether the 3D modeler has time for it and wants to redo it. This may take a bit of time to finish, but I'll keep everyone updated.

Scans are being perfected for printing. Here's a little teaser, while we wait for things to finish up. :)

Going to try and finish up the chest and belt boxes soon.

, on Flickr

Scans are being perfected for printing. Here's a little teaser, while we wait for things to finish up. :)

Going to try and finish up the chest and belt boxes soon.

, on Flickr

My god, these look so perfect!

I have put my Vader on hold until I can get one of these from you. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took a stab at fixing the hose on the ESB box. Originally the 3D modeler had sculpted it accurately, but since I, at the time, did not know whether it would show up in the print I asked him to make the ribbing pattern larger than it should be. Now having had the box printed it is clear that the pattern does show up, so I wanted to create a more accurate pattern.

I am not as skilled as the original 3D modeler, nor the other modelers who've helped me over the years, so I probably did it in a more complicated way than necessary. I used the knurling option I used for the ANH box and then simply embedded it in the basic hose model without the pattern and it created a somewhat pleasing look.

Anyway, the original hose version is shown on the left with my revision on the right.

, on Flickr

Also reworked the ANH chest boxes. Added details on the lid to simulate the wrap-down sides that doesn't sit exactly evenly - and I had to redo all that on the other box so they wouldn't be identical. I then rounded some of the edge corners on the lid and corners of the box, turned the screws on the sides according to the reference I have available showing some of them. Then I reworked the position of the metal studs, re-scaled the red light and green lights down and re-positioned them and angled them to more match the reference, and then I fixed the size of the grill opening, as the bottom edge sat down a bit too low, so that was pulled up a bit, to make it narrower. And lastly I curved the grill outwards a bit to replicate the look of the original grill being pressed out into the grill opening from the inside - this I gotta admit was a real PITA to do as I'm NOT a skilled 3D modeler, so it was a lot of polygon manipulation.

Furthermore, I noticed that the dimensions of the main box looked off when I did overlay comparisons, so narrowed it down a bit on the short edge and widened it a bit on the long edge, and noticed the grill opening and grill wasn't straight with the edge of the box, but was angled at tiny bit.

I kinda like the result. Just hope it's not gonna be a ***** to mold and cast.

Previous versions on the top and the new refined version at the bottom.

, on Flickr

I thought it could be fun to show the overlay to show how I try to make things as accurate as possible.

, on Flickr

Wanted to show a closer view of the finished helmet. It's a different face mask than previously shown. This one is reworked from the standard DJ shape with the neck and rear opening reshaped using the TM face mask as a guide in those areas, as well as replacing the tusk tubes, and lastly we exchanged the DJ lenses with scans of the VP lenses, for those who know these particular casts to make the best representation of the screen used ANH I could think of.

, on Flickr

Great! Glad I could help a little.
Will you be offering the asymmetrical version of the ANH helmet? I'm really interested in something that's as "pure" as possible to all the asymmetrical features of the ANH original.

LOL, I noticed I misunderstood your question when I replied the first time. Yes, absolutely, the asymmetrical, accurate versions will be made available. The symmetrical version is just an interest project I've been working on and will come out later.

Just stumbled across this thread!!!!! Insane!

If the helmets go up for sale, I'm in!

Last edited:
Back