1/4 Play Imaginative - Super Alloy Die Cast - Iron Man 3 - War Machine Mark II

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the ball joints and connectors die-casts or just plastic? I wonder if they will withstand time due to the weight.

Making it metal would be a bad idea. Metal on metal needs lubrication. Metal on plastic would break down. The joints should be plastic. It can still be durable.

All I have to compare to is my Enterbay 1/4 scale figures which measure in at 18" as well. I guess 1/4 scale for Enterbay is based on a 6ft Person 18x4=72.

My Hot Toys Endo is about 16.5" tall so I guess 1/4 scale can be whatever the sculptor wants. Just wish they would have some type of industry standard to stick to so we can stand any companies figure next to each other and not see a difference. I'm still shocked at the 1/6 Die Cast Iron Man III being shorter than any other armor.

Why is that shocking? Unless every single suit used exactly the same parts they should vary in height.

Why is that shocking? Unless every single suit used exactly the same parts they should vary in height.

i guess shocking is the wrong word to use. I don't own the Die Cast Mark III, but I did order the 1/6 Die Cast Blue Mark III repaint. Just when I put him in museum pose with all the other 1/6 armors he will look a tad shorter. It's ok, the way I justify it will be to think Tony uses Repulsor boots with lifts on the other armors.

Making it metal would be a bad idea. Metal on metal needs lubrication. Metal on plastic would break down. The joints should be plastic. It can still be durable.

I'm not really into materials so I can't argue, but I do own a Takatoku Valkyrie that's almost 30 years old which is using ratchet joints that are metal.

20120322183815.jpg

No issues thus far, maybe the parts the joints are supporting is plastic?

I'm not really into materials so I can't argue, but I do own a Takatoku Valkyrie that's almost 30 years old which is using ratchet joints that are metal.

No issues thus far, maybe the parts the joints are supporting is plastic?

I'm not familiar with that figure..but you can have a ratchet joint without metal. Either way-metal on metal joints is a big no no. You can have metal and plastic, it just depends on the design. It's fairly common. But the majority of the joint will be plastic. 3/4 at least. Any time you have metal on metal you need some type of lubrication or it tears itself apart. You wouldn't want one of these figures with all die cast parts.

i guess shocking is the wrong word to use. I don't own the Die Cast Mark III, but I did order the 1/6 Die Cast Blue Mark III repaint. Just when I put him in museum pose with all the other 1/6 armors he will look a tad shorter. It's ok, the way I justify it will be to think Tony uses Repulsor boots with lifts on the other armors.

Wait, you don't even have it yet ? Anyway...the height difference is minimal. Between the mk3 and 4 its tenths of an inch. And I don't see why it would matter if it was more. These shouldn't be exactly the same height unless it's the same parts. Like the 4 and 6 should be the same. But the mk3 and 33... So what if ones taller? My girlfriend has shoes that vary her height by 4 inches. Lol it's normal. Why this is turned into a negative I do not get. I'd be willing to bet if you compared starboost to the mk5 the height is different. Seems like a strange thing to think of as a negative.

Wait, you don't even have it yet ? Anyway...the height difference is minimal. Between the mk3 and 4 its tenths of an inch. And I don't see why it would matter if it was more. These shouldn't be exactly the same height unless it's the same parts. Like the 4 and 6 should be the same. But the mk3 and 33... So what if ones taller? My girlfriend has shoes that vary her height by 4 inches. Lol it's normal. Why this is turned into a negative I do not get. I'd be willing to bet if you compared starboost to the mk5 the height is different. Seems like a strange thing to think of as a negative.

I do see your point. I never felt this was a negative, just up till now all my armors have been pretty much in line the same height. I saw someone post a pic of the Die Cast Mark III in a line up with the other Marks and he looked a little shorter enough to pick him out of the line up. It's ok with me either way. The Die Cast Mark III is a beautiful figure, and I haven't been adding any 1/6th figures to my collection until I saw that really cool blue on the Mark III with the red arc reactor and repulsor hands I pre ordered him. So Stealth is on his way when he gets released next month.

Yeah the stealth mk3 has a cool look, for sure. Congrats on the pick up.

I wasn't trying to bust your eggs or anything. But I see people continue to pile negatives on these figures, especially the mk3, and half the stuff seems silly. The height issue is one. The ankle is the other. (It can't move side to side...big deal. How many poses "hinge" on sideways ankle articulation? Lol)

Yeah the stealth mk3 has a cool look, for sure. Congrats on the pick up.

I wasn't trying to bust your eggs or anything. But I see people continue to pile negatives on these figures, especially the mk3, and half the stuff seems silly. The height issue is one. The ankle is the other. (It can't move side to side...big deal. How many poses "hinge" on sideways ankle articulation? Lol)

I know you weren't trying to bust my chops. Anyways I'm excited to get Stealth he may be my last 1/6 because I'm trying to focus on building my 1/4 scale collection.

On another topic I want to thank you for all the pics you post from all the conventions you go to. It really helps us get a glimpse of what cool stuff is up coming.

How is your 1/4 collection coming along? It's exciting to me when anyone makes a 1/4 scale figures. I wish Enterbay would slow down on the NBA stuff and put out some more 1/4's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is your 1/4 collection coming along? It's exciting to me when anyone makes a 1/4 scale figures. I wish Enterbay would slow down on the NBA stuff and put out some more 1/4's.

I was all in for a while with the 1/6 scale, but then when I bought the 1/4 Enterbay Joker I was like whoa this is something else. I then grabbed the 1/4 Enterbay Batman, T800 BD, T1000. When I was buying the T800 BD, I was also looking for a good deal on Hot Toys 1/4 Endo finally found him on ebay. To round out my 1/4 collection I bought 1/4 Hot Toys Dark Knight Batman from Alter Ego.

I agree with your point about Enterbay focusing so heavily on NBA players. I personally don't care about Basketball, but I'm guessing since they keep producing them that they are selling.

I've been watching for a good price on Robocop. Seem like there were some ones sold around the 450 shipped mark which is about 150.00 off retail.

As for Hot Toys 1/4 Mark 43 & 45, I have not pulled the trigger to Pre order them. I'm keeping the faith that Comic Cave will produce the 1/4 Mark 43 & 45 under the Super Alloy line.

Nice collection. I would get that EB Joker if it didn't cost a fortune. The price on that guy really went through the roof. Will you be getting the Hot Toys Boba Fett? If you are a Predator fan you should look into adding NECA's closed mouth jungle hunter. Fits in fine with the higher prices stuff.

Nice collection. I would get that EB Joker if it didn't cost a fortune. The price on that guy really went through the roof. Will you be getting the Hot Toys Boba Fett? If you are a Predator fan you should look into adding NECA's closed mouth jungle hunter. Fits in fine with the higher prices stuff.

Yeah I got my EB Joker used about a year after release so I only paid about 100 more than retail. That's what I'm saying why doesn't EB re issue him? Maybe license due to the fact Heath Ledger has passed, and maybe the family is not approving.

I know I'm gonna get some feedback about this, but I maybe the only NON Star Wars fan in the world. I never played with the figures as a kid. I was more into Transformers, and GI Joe.

As for Predator, I do like the movies, but I never collected any of the 1/6 figures. Now that you bring up NECA, I may look into the 1/4 closed mouth Jungle hunter. Its funny cause the reason why I don't collect 1/6 is because I wanted to slow down, but now collecting 1/4 I feel its too slow for releases :gah:

Quarter scale is a in between space for 1/6 and statue collectors.

Most statue collectors prefer the detail and size that the larger scale gives and they do not like joints, so the 1/4 posable figures are not always received well. The 1/6 collectors don't like the space 1/4 takes up and because the releases are few and far between, so it is not that popular for them.

The target collector really is what you described which is a 1/6 collector wanting to slow down. I think statues come out at such a slow release that statue collectors do not feel the impact of widely timed offerings of the Quarter Scale pieces and are more selective of what ends up in their collections due to the space. The 1/6 collectors are more accustomed to rapid fire releases of no less than 20 pieces a year it seems now days from Hot Toys and Sideshow on premium lines.

There will be pieces that both statue collectors and 1/6 collectors will align with such as the EB Joker or the BD Terminator which are iconic and stellar pieces. It's hard to tell if the QS line will continue to get support. I can see hot toys making 2-3 releases a year but not much over that. It's not their bread and butter and no real reason to differentiate other than to show they can do those types of offerings and challenge themselves as a company. I think Bill at Enterbay is consumed with the NBA and the easy cash flow it's delivering so I would not expect much from them in the QS space in the near future. This is of course my opinion, I like the scale but it is challenging to display mixed scale and those with both have to find creative ways to display them together.

I have two sets of Enterbay Batman figures, two HT TDK Batmans, the HT Endoskeleton, EB BD T2, PI WM and now Iron patriot with the HT Fett, Mark 43 and Mark 45 on PO. So it is slowly now getting into double digit pieces for me. Would like to see the Vader and Stormtroopers and if it is A New Hope Vader, I'm in for three pieces right there for sure.

Quarter scale is a in between space for 1/6 and statue collectors.

Most statue collectors prefer the detail and size that the larger scale gives and they do not like joints, so the 1/4 posable figures are not always received well. The 1/6 collectors don't like the space 1/4 takes up and because the releases are few and far between, so it is not that popular for them.

The target collector really is what you described which is a 1/6 collector wanting to slow down. I think statues come out at such a slow release that statue collectors do not feel the impact of widely timed offerings of the Quarter Scale pieces and are more selective of what ends up in their collections due to the space. The 1/6 collectors are more accustomed to rapid fire releases of no less than 20 pieces a year it seems now days from Hot Toys and Sideshow on premium lines.

There will be pieces that both statue collectors and 1/6 collectors will align with such as the EB Joker or the BD Terminator which are iconic and stellar pieces. It's hard to tell if the QS line will continue to get support. I can see hot toys making 2-3 releases a year but not much over that. It's not their bread and butter and no real reason to differentiate other than to show they can do those types of offerings and challenge themselves as a company. I think Bill at Enterbay is consumed with the NBA and the easy cash flow it's delivering so I would not expect much from them in the QS space in the near future. This is of course my opinion, I like the scale but it is challenging to display mixed scale and those with both have to find creative ways to display them together.

I have two sets of Enterbay Batman figures, two HT TDK Batmans, the HT Endoskeleton, EB BD T2, PI WM and now Iron patriot with the HT Fett, Mark 43 and Mark 45 on PO. So it is slowly now getting into double digit pieces for me. Would like to see the Vader and Stormtroopers and if it is A New Hope Vader, I'm in for three pieces right there for sure.

Great thoughtful post :hi5: right now I'm on the Hunt for 1/4 EB Robocop. Couple completed listings I missed at 480 shipped which is a good price considering he is 550 from Enterbay direct plus shipping. There was even one MIB for 370 shipped which was a killer price.

As for Hot Toys 1/4 Mark 43 & 45 even with the Mark 45 exclusive I still have not pulled the trigger. I'm so sold on Die Cast figures at this point that I'm hoping someone takes the reigns and actually produces them in 1/4 scale Die Cast format. On the other hand the Hot Toys Mark 43 Tony head sculpt is looking great. I don't feel the pressure to Pre order because no Exclusive for him. I Don't feel pressure to pre order Mark 45 Exclusive because there is no Tony Head sculpt. Now if they would have packaged the Tony head sculpt with Mark 45 and made it exclusive, that may have pushed me to click the Pre order even though my goal is to have it made out of Die cast & plastic.

I'm thinking of getting another War machine to do a Flying pose to utilize the LEDs on the boots. Plus if I ever wanted to pay someone to repaint him into another armor, I think War machine base armor would be better than Iron Patriot because chest plate is more standard on him.

:panic:

So for those of you that has the figure, are you happy with him? I have a Hot Toys IM Mark 43....would this be a disappointment compared to the 43? They would be side by side. Thanks!

So for those of you that has the figure, are you happy with him? I have a Hot Toys IM Mark 43....would this be a disappointment compared to the 43? They would be side by side. Thanks!

The left arm-pit joint looks wonky on the one I have. It seems to be sticking out and I can't adjust the arm. I sent an IM to PI via FB months ago. They never responded. I have to take it out of the box again for pics.

Great thoughtful post :hi5: right now I'm on the Hunt for 1/4 EB Robocop. Couple completed listings I missed at 480 shipped which is a good price considering he is 550 from Enterbay direct plus shipping. There was even one MIB for 370 shipped which was a killer price.

As for Hot Toys 1/4 Mark 43 & 45 even with the Mark 45 exclusive I still have not pulled the trigger. I'm so sold on Die Cast figures at this point that I'm hoping someone takes the reigns and actually produces them in 1/4 scale Die Cast format. On the other hand the Hot Toys Mark 43 Tony head sculpt is looking great. I don't feel the pressure to Pre order because no Exclusive for him. I Don't feel pressure to pre order Mark 45 Exclusive because there is no Tony Head sculpt. Now if they would have packaged the Tony head sculpt with Mark 45 and made it exclusive, that may have pushed me to click the Pre order even though my goal is to have it made out of Die cast & plastic.

it seems to me that exclusive is a big factor for you for buying figures:wink1:
anyway, as much as I love diecast iron man, I think the 1/4 mark 43 is better than at least my 1/6 mark 42 & iron patriot.
the rubber material on my mk 42 already shows color fading. the same with his panties. my bet is because the material hot toys' use for the panties (soft plastic).
now if I inspect my 1/4 mark 43, at least they're using hard plastic for the panties and very minor rubber material.
to each their own. just sharing my thoughts:hi5:

That would be cool, but I also have the feeling it would be prohibitively expensive if HT included significant die-cast content. Example: Art Storm's Ultimetal Optimus Prime is 16" tall and costs about $1000 (800 plus shipping), for a figure that's almost all metal. The 1/4-scale nMark 43 contains more engineering and lighting than Prime, and it about 4" taller. So metal content would have to be limited to keep pricing down. I also wonder if they can create a paint-job as excellent as the 43's in die-cast right now.

Back